Bogue Chitto State Park Gorge Run Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(289)
Bogue Chitto State Park

Bogue Chitto State Park Gorge Run Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Franklinton, Louisiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 239 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

fee

Note: $3 per person entry fee The trail is a little washed out from recent rains and there was one small part where you will have to walk through an inch or 2 deep water. There is also part of the trail closed for maintenance, if you park at the trail head and go west you will end up having to walk on the road till just past the equestrian parking and then you can get back on the trail but it’s not too far. Also, make sure you go check out the beach and take a dip in the river, the water is nice right now! Definitely arm yourself with the best bug spray that you can because the bugs can be aggressive!

Trail was blissfully empty today. Last time it seemed like everyone in southern LA was out here. It was wonderful to hear the birds & the breeze in the pines.

Did the gorge run trail with my boys who are 9 and 12. It was their first time on trails with lots of hills. The trail is mostly good to ride. There are several sandy spots where it was impossible for the kids to ride in (and tough for most). All in all it was a great day on the trail.

My third time here and I feel encouraged to add a second review. This experience was incredibly different from my previous experiences here. It was thundering and raining the entire time, which made this hike probably one of the most serene hikes I’ve ever done, even despite the gangs of giant horseflies trying to attack me the entire way. Just pick up a stick with some leaves on it and swat them away... nothing to it, but I can see why some people would let that ruin their experience. The canopies of the trees kept me from getting too wet, which I think is an awesome feature. Some trails have zero tree canopies directly over the trail. Therefore if it rains, you’re either hiking next to the trail to keep from getting wet or you’re getting wet. All in all, a moving experience for me.

Some scenic views by the water. Took a detour to the beach. Trail eroded in many areas. Lots of bugs. Saw a small gator which was cool. A few cranes. Came around sunset which was probably a poor time.

Crap hike in my opinion. Kind of boring. Buggy and humid. Would have given it two stars except we saw a gator and I promised my girlfriend if we saw a gator I’d add a star.

fee

Loved this trail. You can go just off trail and climb giant fallen trees, hang out at a small beach, or wade in a river. Hard to find good elevation activity in this region, but this trail has lots of ups and downs. Very shady.

Nice trail. We got out to get some fresh air stop us from going stir crazy. Plenty of shade and decent elevation changes for Louisiana.

Good hike with elevations. Had a nice break at one of the lakes that has an air conditioned bathrooms. Filled the Red diamond trail but one section was not marked well. Wear a lot of big spray and hydrate too!

River overlook is closed. Very nice walk through the woods. A nice day for a hike. Glynn's drive in found in Folsom is open and it was good. Enjoy!

fee

Well maintained trail. Area had very heavy rains yesterday, there was 2 spots on the trail where I put plastic grocery bags over my shoes to stay dry. I hike with my dog, who is not friendly - we did encounter one dog off-leash, but as soon as my dog alerted me to the other dog I called out and the owners called their dog back and leashed him.

Easy trail, took us about 2 hours with the dogs making stops. Most of it is shaded. You can stop at the beach. There’s pretty swamp areas. Tiniest bit of elevation change. It’s a nice area.

Great trail and well marked. East hiking. Beginning and end of trail had burnt underbrush; smelly and not attractive, other than that a great relaxing and shady trail.

Last time I was here was 2012. The park overall seems better. Today we hiked the 4.8 mile gorge loop. This trail is very shady, well maintained and well marked. Lots of variety in terrain: stone, pine straw, dirt, sand. Several steep inclines near the beginning/end (depends which direction you go. I think anyone who can walk 5 miles can do this trail.

This trail is in great shape and is really beautiful. The path is very wide in most areas for those concerned with social distancing right now. Everyone kept to one side when passing and it was no problem. This hike has a lot to offer, bayous, a river with a sandy beach, a lake, hardwood and pine forest. It also provides a bit of a challenge for some due to decent elevation changes for the area. We had a great time, check it out.

I took my 4.5 year old on this trail yesterday not knowing it would be such a long walk!! As other reviewers have mentioned, it is definitely longer than 4.8 miles... I’m not even sure why it’s listed at that length. The website states 7 miles. However, it was a lovely trail and while it challenged us, we enjoyed ourselves. We have completed trails of similar length in the past, but those were flat trails. This trail is not entirely flat. Be prepared for a mixed terrain. It definitely adds to the fun! We appreciated the fact that the vast majority of the trail was very well shaded. This trail took us 7 hours total because we kept stopping to play and enjoy the scenery. Had I gone on my own, it probably would have taken me half as long. Bring plenty of water and snacks. There is a bathroom about halfway through the trail.

fee

lovely well maintained trail. lots of spring growth and not many people

As far as Louisiana hiking trails goes, this one is a fun hike. Elevation changes, views of the river, and various terrain changes makes this an an exciting hike. Took my new dog out to test his hiking skills before we hit harder trails

flooded

Great hike for just a day out. Flooding wasn’t terrible but one spot we had to take shoes off. Trails kept up very well.

flooded

Went today to hike the nature trail and several parts of the trail were flooded. In some of the flooded passes it was only a few inches and could pass with water proof boots but someone had also put some larger stick across if you didn’t have waterproof shoes. But then we got to an area just past the river overlook that was completely flooded. Would have needed gum boots to wade through so we turned around. It’s pretty easy to follow but I did find the scenery became redundant after a while. I would go back again but only if it hasn’t rained for a few weeks before hand. If you’re on your way in or out and go through Folsom, stop in Glynn’s drive-in. The cheeseburger was one of the best parts of my trip.

Great trail, husband and I finished around sunset which made for some beautiful views. We enjoyed the change in elevation and terrain (pine covered ground, sand, rock, boardwalk, and pavement). Also really enjoyed the areas close to the river as the sight and sounds were very relaxing. Trail labeled "moderate" I'd say on the easier side. *Obviously the miles are wrong, not sure what happened but we laughed about it the whole hike*

Really nice trail, there’s been a lot of repairs done since last time I came here. Bridges were built and trails cleaned up.