Bogue Chitto State Park Gorge Run Trail

Bogue Chitto State Park Gorge Run Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Franklinton, Louisiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Absolutely beautiful trail. It was very clean, clearly marked and very kid friendly. I would say this trail is more EASY than moderate, but that doesn't take away from the gorgeous scenery and random wildlife sightings. This trail is great for beginners, kids, and pets. If you're just starting out and gathering you gear supplies, this is the trail for you. Also, the restroom mid-way was a blessing as well as the numerous spots to sit in the river/creek to cool down. I'll be back, almost every weekend for training and conditioning.

Today was my first and probably my last trip to Bogue Chitto for hiking. Relatively uneventful hike once we cleared the river, the river hike wasn't a nice experience either. The rains from last week were still draining out of the lakes and left huge bog areas that were too deep to cross, we had to back track and go around them.
The hiking area is plain with not much to look at but the biggest issue for me is the graveled trail system. Walking on gravel is not easy and it's everywhere. Some spots the gravel is tolerable and others the gravel is large and difficult to walk on. A long section of the trail system it is right next to the road and you rarely get the feeling that you are in a wooded area because of the traffic. The bugs are typical of Louisiana and "Deep Woods Off" worked fine for us. The system is clean and with the exception of being poorly marked it's well maintained (If you go there to hike the RED blazes are for the main trail.)
The shower room house is clean and was a welcomed sight for us afterwards. Maybe I'll return to fish but I hardly believe at this point I will ever return to hike.
We completed the7 mile loop in 4.5 hours. This includes the back tracking and off trail venturing we did.
Edit-
Its marked as "Moderate" but in my opinion its an easy hike, with the exception of walking on gravel. :)

Nice enough hike, but a few times the Gorge Run trail puts you out into the road and it's unclear where to pick up the trail again. Some broken fences and platforms- needed repairs. Also, the horseflies were intense- got bitten through my clothes several times in spite wearing repellant. Saw deer, turtle, and rabbits. Pretty views. Liked the elevation changes. Park staff were great.

we hiked the whole trail it was beautiful. Only problem was it rained the night before so the river had flooded on to the trail. at some points it was thigh high deep. Very nice train but just be considerate of the weather.

Hiked the whole Gorge Run trail. It's absolutely beautiful, and the trail is well marked - we never felt lost once. We crossed paths with employees there caring for the park twice. We saw a bunch of small creatures, babbling streams, a bit of swamp land, and the river. It's not as primitive as I like, but it's gorgeous: this place is worth a hike at least once. The facilities are nice, and if you hike the whole Gorge Run trail, you'll cross restrooms and trash cans around half way at the lake. If hiking the Lower Gorge Trail, don't forget bug spray. I'll be going back for tubing and canoeing this summer - I expect it'll be way better than tubing at Amite.

Completely impressed by the beauty around every bend of this hiking trail. Will be back again and again..

I hike this trail several times a month. It is a great trail and marked well except down around the river. Also rising river regularly closes sections of trail. Has good elevation changes for South Louisiana.

Great trail, well marked, well traveled. Great spots right off the trail and next to the river to take in the scenery. Sadly, there is a good bit of litter in a couple of spots (most likely caused by tubing on the river).