Black Swamp Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Baton Rouge, Louisiana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 16 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fun wooded Trail with access to mosaic boardwalk and Barton arboretum

This trail is great for kids as it is easy and has a lot of educational placards marking interesting plant life. We had a nice time. It is kept up very well. There was only one spot where the entirety of the trail was under water, though not enough to go over the sole of a shoe, and only about 4 feet wide.

The trail was very nice and easy to walk on. Gravel wide path. Markers for the name of trees. However, the highway traffic was so loud. It looked like a peaceful trail, but in reality the traffic was so loud we could not hear the birds!

Sat Dec 08 2018

Very easy trail with gravel and a wooden boardwalk over the swamp area. Mixes with a couple other small trails along its route. Fun to learn the trees of the area with plenty of plagues and info. Nice places to sit on benches and read!

Fri Oct 26 2018

Beautiful greenery. Trail was well maintained gravel with little over grown onto the trail. The pup really enjoyed it! Make sure you let them potty before starting or else you’ll be carrying doggie bags the entire trip. I learned that the hard way.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Love this trail. I take my dogs here on the weekend to avoid large groups of people/other dogs. We’re usually the only ones walking around which is perfect Bc they can roam and sniff freely as we get our daily mile (or two!) in. If it’s a particularly hot day, I’d recommend the Perimeter Trail...the trails in the brush get super humid...especially when we have days where the heat index is 100+

Wed Jun 27 2018

Sun Jun 24 2018

Really pretty area right in the middle of town. Shades trails are crushed rock and are not rutted. The only thing I would change is marking a single path that takes you around all the available paths. I was able to get almost 3 miles in with minimal repeat, but I had to guess where to go.

Sun Feb 25 2018

Considering it’s in the heart of Baton Rouge, it’s a great trail. My son, who is 6, was a trooper and walked the entire trail no problem. The boardwalk is a great change of scenery and had some pretty views. We saw some frogs, egrets, and a water moccasin. Pretty good outing for a February.

Fri Nov 17 2017

It is a gorgeous trail...right next to the interstate.We had to speak over the sound of the cars the entire time. If that doesn't bother you, go, it's beautiful. But if you are trying to get away from it all, this isn't really the place.

Fri Feb 01 2019