Bayou Sauvage Ridge Trail

Bayou Sauvage Ridge Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near New Orleans, Louisiana. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding.

I'm giving this trail 3 stars even though I thoroughly enjoyed it because it won't be for everyone. If you're looking for ooh and aah views every step this is not the one for you. As other reviewers have noted, it's an out and back along a gravel road on the levee. Going outwards, there are some nice marsh views on the right and glimpses of a bayou on the left (you'll have to get off into the weeds to see it closer). The trail ends unceremoniously, without even a sign, at I-10. Two deer flashed their tails at me right near there, besides that there were some birds and lots of butterflies. There are no benches along the way until you get back to the short boardwalks, where there are many. On a hot sunny day, water and a hat are an absolute must for this trail. If you are out of shape (like me) this is a great workout hike (about 3 hours). I also personally feel that this kind of hike really makes you appreciate the intensely scenic hikes even more.

I wish there were more actual "trails" and boardwalks. The rock road doesn't cut it.

Trail has a pretty view of the lagoon in places. I have had an alligator cross my path. The path has little to no shade. In the summer, come prepared with a hat and plenty of water.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Other than the short board walk, the rocky road is quite boring

Sunday, March 10, 2013