Palmetto, Bayou Coquille and Marsh Overlook [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(119)
Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

Palmetto, Bayou Coquille and Marsh Overlook is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Marrero, Louisiana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 19 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

closed

Note: It has been reported this trail has temporary closures due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

My favorite place around New Orleans to hike. During spring lots of wildlife! During summer - lots of horseflies. Still worth it.

Beautiful swampy boardwalk trail. Lots of wildlife- including gators. Definitely more of a walk/jog trail, so not anything challenging. But we really loved it out there.

does anyone know where the indian mound is in Jean Lafitte park?

I have walked this trail and it is absolutely perfect! Easy trail, feels safe and very scenic. Highly recommend.

Beautiful trail. Saw 6 Alligators, 1 Nutria, AND a Rooster. Fun trip all around!

My husband and I did half of the trail and it was absolutely beautiful. The weather was overcast and cool with a slight breeze which made it so enjoyable. We saw an abundant variety of trees, plants, and wildlife to include a swamp rat, squirrels, birds, and an alligator. We conversed with several knowledgeable hikers which was highly enjoyable since we live in the high plains of Texas and this terrain is vastly different. I recommend taking the time to visit the Jean Lafitte National Park and Preserve. You definitely cannot go wrong here. I bet a trip here in the spring and summer would be very enjoyable. Happy hiking...y’all.

Wonderful hike to do in the morning, lots of wildlife, lots of very nice viewpoints. I recommend everybody to do it if you are in NOLA. Best experience of the bayou, way better than the so called « swamp tours ».

nice trail, nice scenery. great place for photos, seen 3 gators. definitely recommend this trail. lots of history markers with the ability to call in for facts of landmark

I loved this trail. board walking mostly. lots of bird watchers out there. you don't need your hiking stick. much shade beautiful views and the gators are out.

An easy trail over swamp and marsh. I saw 4 gators, a snake and any number of beautiful flowers and birds. This is a lovely way to spend a nice afternoon.

Easy trail with lots and lots to look at! Cool swamp setting with lots of cool plants and many animals. Saw an alligator that was 1 foot from the trail! It was awesome. Also saw squirrels, birds, large bumble bees and large spiders. It gets hot during the summer so be prepared to sweat. The trail is a boardwalk so no risk of mud.

bridge out
closed

Trail was good yet some of it was closed so we were not able to complete. Otherwise good time.

Mon May 27 2019

Great trail that is easy to walk. Saw multiple alligators, snakes, lizards, skinks, squirrels, birds and even saw a raccoon. Don’t rush through it so you see more.

Wed May 22 2019

Super easy accessible trail, but still an adventure. I saw maybe 20 alligators and a beautiful owl. Such an awesome hike. Absolute must if you are in the area. Cost about $25 to Uber there from downtown New Orleans.

Wed May 15 2019

Super easy trail. Boardwalk the entire way.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Trail was boardwalk or flattened gravel the whole way. Nice, easy walk and a great way to get out of the hustle and bustle of New Orleans for half a day.

Sun Mar 17 2019

TONS of wildlife including gators. Nice and easy trail.

Tue Jan 01 2019

While the visitor center was closed due to the Government shutdown, I was informed that you could still hike that you just had to park off the road and walk into the park. The scenery was worth the hike by itself but getting to see multiple alligators along the way so close to the boardwalk was wonderful.

Sun Oct 14 2018

Wildlife everywhere

Tue Aug 07 2018

Amazing walk through the swamp and marsh. We saw lots of big grasshoppers, spiders, a snake and probably 5 alligators. One was a pretty big one just off the boardwalk. Hot and humid!! but worth it.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Who says swamps aren't beautiful?! a critter filled hike (lizards, dragonflies, some sort of mammal that might have been a muskrat or an otter, giant grasshoppers, spiders.) We did not see a gator in the marsh overlook, but we sure as heck saw one chilling in the middle of the trail on our way back, about 20 feet ahead of us. when it heard us coming it slowly stood up and sauntered into the woods. Wear bugspray and be loud if you see a gator in the trail.

Tue Jun 05 2018

Note the visitor’s center isn’t open Monday or Tuesday, but you still have access to trails, maps (if needed), restrooms and water. Easy trail/ well maintained boardwalk. Take lots of water (the humidity is unbelievable). We were able to see several alligators and birds. Beautiful flora/fauna. More of a walk/stroll than an actual hike.

Sat Jun 02 2018

Easy stroll through the Bayou. We saw six alligators including a large one swimming near the Marsh Overlook. Definitely worth the trip down from NOLA.

Fri Apr 20 2018

The entire trail is a wooden walkway through a swamp, so it felt pretty immersive. The weather wasn’t too hot, so bugs weren’t a problem. I saw several snakes —too many to count actually, great big frogs, and two 6-7 foot alligators. One was a bit too close for comfort and surprised the heck out of me. I wouldn’t take any small children on this trail. I also managed to get sunburned despite SPF 50, a hat, and the trail being nicely shaded.

Fri Feb 16 2018

Wonderful, easy trail with tons of history, flora and fauna. We saw a few gators off the trail too...so beware.