Vernon-Douglas State Nature Preserve Trail

Vernon-Douglas State Nature Preserve Trail is a 3.9 mile loop trail located near Elizabethtown, Kentucky that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

I have driven past this park thousands of time from the parkway and I never noticed the trail head until a few months ago. I hiked the whole Trail in about 2 hours on a cooler sunny summer day(high of 70). I couldn't see anything at the vista Lookout because of the overgrowth of trees. I would like to return in the winter to see what I can see. Overall I love the trail, the perfect amount of up-and-down for me.

Pretty steep terrain, several thorns sharing the path. I ran the main loop twice, trying it in both directions. It gets slippery in the valley. I would think this would be hard to bike, but I'm not a skilled mountain biker. I found the steep terrain difficult to run down or up, but I welcomed the challenge because my normal run is very flat. I didn't see much wildlife but I was pretty loud trying to jump over and dance around thorns. It's an easy drive from etown and likely Bardstown, but I enjoyed it and will be back.

I love this trail great views, lots of wildlife, and old growth timbers. I go here during the colder months because of snakes.

Loved this hike! Definitely a moderate hike when you do the entire loop.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Nice hill climb, not to steep. Trail needs maintaining as trees have fallen over primary trail.

Great place to get away from the world as I and my two furry companions were the only ones on the trail this day.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

It was a very nice hike. It had rained the previous night. The trail was very muddy and many of the small streams were difficult to cross. The trail is in bad shape. There are many fallen trees across the trail, debris wash outs, and over grown.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

It was not an easy hike all the way around. There were steep climbs. Our trail was rained on so a bit slippery in some areas. Also, lots of ticks to pull off of yourselves, so carry your deet. Overall, it was a wonderful hike, but not for smaller children. Would do it again.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Great trail for early spring. I can see where it would easily get overgrown. Bring a walking stick to pushing back the brambles (we left a couple at the entrance).

Monday, February 01, 2016

It could be better marked. Nice area though.

Friday, January 29, 2016

Sunday, January 17, 2016

This is one of my favorite trails ever.Especially in the winter. A lot of wildlife and wonderful view from the pinnacle.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Lots of thorny overgrowth. plenty of mud. some really cool sections of moss and wildflowers. we may have come at the wrong time, may be more beautiful later in the spring. our 5 year old completed the trail. GPS claims the entire distance to be 7.1 miles.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

The trail was a little hard to find, and only had a small parking area. It's a decent trail but needs to be kept up a little. Over grown in some areas and many spider webs! No good views of any hills due to leaves on the trees. Still a good workout with some steep climbs.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Was visiting in KY today and decided to check this out. It's not well known at all and there's no sign's indicating its existence from the road. We even had to guess as to the parking lot.

All that aside is a pretty fun hike. Lots of wild growth and some col species of mushrooms to see, if you're into that sort of thing. We scared a deer right at the start so you might see some wildlife.

The trail is marked well with orange markers, though the growth has over take a several areas. It felt like Aguirre The Wrath of God, a couple of times(check that movie out BTW) but I enjoyed all that quite a bit. Some areas are quite steep either way you go, so be prepared either way. We chose left at the fork, and I really think that's the way to go.

Also note that one section of the trail has a lot of thorny growth, so dress accordingly. My wife was thinking shorts but I changed her mind to jeans and she was thankful for that.

The views up high are nice but pretty obstructed. I didn't mind though, the forest was so beautiful and lush there was always something nice to see.

if you're in the area, definitely give this a look.