Van Hook Falls and Cane Creek Valley

Van Hook Falls and Cane Creek Valley is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near London, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome sights to see fun trail to hike, definitely recommend going after a good rainy day though so the waters still up falls weren't that big when we went

This was my first hike before having this app. A bit tough for a beginner. But I can’t wait to do it again. Absolutely beautiful from start to finish

We love to go on this hike every year and it never gets old. Many camping spots along the way to Vanhook falls with a couple smaller waterfalls to see as well. Would recommend to anyone looking for a good hike.

We just visited Vanhook Falls and I have to say it was the highlight of our stay while at Holly Bay campground. The trail is easy at first and gets more strenuous near the falls, and the rock formations and overhangs were beautiful. There were several smaller waterfalls near the trail. You will walk across two bridges. There is a nice bench to catch your breath once you get to the falls.

Beautiful trail, long but fairly easy. Not many other people there. Except hobos that have set up camp right by the main falls that are not friendly. I'll be calling someone about them asap. The rest was wonderful, we sat around at Cane creek and went in the water for awhile.

We went earlier this week, the falls were beautiful, nice scenic route. Would love to go back after it rains.

I went yesterday, this trail has incredible scenery and beautiful falls! A perfect light-trail that won't wear you out but gets your blood pumping. I recommend going in the rainy season, as the creek and falls will be more full and flowing!

The falls were beautiful. There is a charming little bench at the top, directly by the falls, where you can enjoy the view. There are also a few falls along the trail before you get to Van Hook Falls, and a place to swim and camp. It's not a very difficult hike. I saw many people with pets and children on this trail. It is seemingly busy with people mid-day in the summer. Highly recommended.

This trail is a moderate trail. There are a few waterfalls along the way to Vanhook. There is only one place to sit at a bench to rest and that is at Vanhook falls, but there are some rocks if you don’t mind sitting on them. At times it seems like you should have already made it but once you get there you will know. When I went I didn’t see anyone on the trail. It was a weekday and it was pretty nice out so I’m surprised there wasn’t at least one other person. The hills aren’t bad at all, it’s mainly the length that may tire a few people. Overall, a good hike.

beautiful walk in the woods. fairly easy trail and some gorgeous views.

We hiked this trail yesterday and I have to say it’s now one of my favorites.

Fairly easy hike, but perhaps one of the most beautiful hikes I've done in years. 4 waterfalls, lots of small falls and creek crossings with perfectly placed rocks as stepping stones, well maintained and easy to follow trail, beautiful turquoise water, a couple places that look like they would be great for swimming (though it was too cold still today), stunning views of the Van Hook falls with lots of climbing opportunities to get as close to the water as you want. I can't wait to go back next time I'm driving through KY!

Another great hike for Hoss and me,Van Hook falls was frozen over,it was amazing,one of our favorite hikes, icicles were every where,the streams and creeks were frozen,it was a winter wonderland!!!!

Great trail.

Nice moderate forested trail. Waterfall can run dry at times so check on recent rainfall before you go. Watch for a good swimming hole about 3/4 of the way in, just off the trail. The creek is also fun for kids when the water level is good.

There are also some good spots for backcountry camping. It's a short hike for backpacking, but would be good for someone just beginning or for getting young kids into it.

Very enjoyable hike, 4 waterfalls along the way.

beautiful trail!

one of the best hiking trails I've been on

Great hike! My 6 and 10 year old daughters and my 5 year old nephew had no problem keeping up and we had a blast. This is a long trail so give yourself plenty of time.

Varied terrain with lots of pretty views. The falls were beautiful but my favorite part was crossing Cane Creek. The trail was covered with water or leaves in a couple spots because of the season but it was well maintained and easy to follow. Definitely more markers on the way back out than the hike in.

this was a great trail! had plenty to keep the kids engaged.

amazing, beautiful trail and waterfall!

The end result was worth the 2.5 mile hike.

Really nice hike! It can get a little muddy in some places. There is several places to stop and enjoy the stream.

This was a great hike with lots of scenery worth a camera shot. My wife and I are in pretty good shape so the hike was moderate at best. We hiked a total of 7.62 miles in total time of 4.41 hours.... but we stopped every time there was a photo op... which was quite a lot. We have never scene so many different colors and varieties of fungus (mushrooms) and we passed over 6 good size waterfalls before we arrived at the gem, Van Hook Falls. The trip back on took 2.4 miles. The trail itself is pretty worn and easy to follow. A group we met coming back told us to make sure we took the trail to the right at the T, they did not and did not make it to the falls... The T they are talking about has arrows pointing you to the right so??????? Follow the arrows.. We crossed 12 creeks and two bridges before we got to the falls. None of these creeks were very hard to cross or deep and 3 or 4 of them had rock bridges across them. The trail gets quite closed in toward the end, but at the falls there is actually a fairly new set of steps and a bench to ponder on. We went on down to hike behind the falls and had a long lunch behind them. Ths is a must do for anyone wishing to capture pictures of waterfalls. The water level and flow rate was nearly perfect. I checked the Rockcastel River gauge on the USGS sight and it was 5.5' and running 950 cfs. It would be a shame to hike this trail only find a dry falls. You will encounter a pretty set of waterfalls at about 0.8 miles of the start of the trip. That is a good gauge whether Van Hook is running. We started at the TH located at the intersection of West Laurel Rd and London Dock Rd.. Not to bad a trail and well worth the hike. Looking forward to hiking it again once all the leaves have dropped. This trail is a small part of the Sheltowee Trace Trail.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Check the precipation history before you do this hike. I went six days before and the falls were barely dripping; today it was roaring. Also, there are a couple others falls on the way and another farther up on the East Narrows Trail.

I did the extended loop, which runs East to the Narrows and started above Vanhook falls. I do not recommend this loop unless you are determined. Trees were down everywhere and the narrows, while roaring, pretty much couldn't be seen for the most part. I did get one good Vista tho and the waterfall was pretty awesome. Also the small campsite by the narrows was littered, the worst I've seen on a trail this year. However, the East Narrows Trail was clearly marked with white diamonds and with the signage was where it needed to be, with the exception of the winding ridge side trail, it was marked with blue tape.I only got turned around once. It's 11 to 13 miles so if you decide to do the loop, give yourself the necessary time.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Went hiking today, it's a VERY decent trail. I believe it's longer than 2 1/2 miles. The falls were dry and there wasn't any water whatsoever. It was a great hike otherwise!!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

long hard trial. small waterfall. don't come unless you want to hike forever

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Really nice trail. Training myself to take on the entire Shelltowee Trace this fall.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Very nice hike but waterfall dry also hike to yahoo falls earlier the same day but no water flowing.