Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Van Hook Falls and Cane Creek Valley

Van Hook Falls and Cane Creek Valley is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near London, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

11 minutes ago

Pretty easy trail, well marked. Cool forest setting throughout the walk. The waterfall at the end could be really cool if there was a good rain. Saw a huge snake on the trail when walking out

great hike.. can understand when people say it's a little creepy.. you are in a dense forest so some parts seem creepy. quite a few waterfalls and we seen a few newts. our little dog loved the hike

Great little hike, took our Lab she loved it!

This trail has so much to give! We ended up doing eight miles just going off trail and seeing all the cliffs and rocks and waterfalls. Seriously so many different waterfalls and places to swim. This trail is amazing. First half is easy walking but the last bit is a bit more moderate. Put this trail on your list!

mind blowing adventure

I was down from Ontario Canada and did this last week on a hot day. Did it with a cool guy from Ohio named Brad.A very nice hike with small streams to cross.Some smaller waterfalls as well. Very quiet and only met one couple in and out. A real pretty waterfall at the end, The last half mile or so is rocky but overall a great trail.Met a friendly lady from Lexington in the parking lot. .

Loved this hike: lots of falls, refreshing water, flora, big trees, and no one else (granted, went on a Thursday). April is a magical time to hike this one.

Went out with our 2 dogs. Beautiful hike, running water pretty much the entire way with a few spots you can swim in, and only passed one person on the way back. A little difficult towards the end but definitely worth it! Highly suggest bringing hiking boots & something to swim in. Also finding the trail was difficult at first, the parking lot is across the street from the trail entrance, it is marked though.

awesome

Awesome trail! We did stumble upon 2 copperheads off of the trail, so be careful with your pets. Gorgeous views all throughout hike!

Nice hike, glad we did it earlier in the day. Decent traffic on the trail. Water in streams and waterfalls were flowing. Very peaceful. Not too strenuous if your use to the distance. There were some rugged patches but pretty hike

Great hike! Enjoyable for all ages. The dogs had a wonderful time. We stopped and swam in 2 areas. The trail has a lot of roots so be careful when you are hiking. Recommend hiking boots. Best hike in the area!

Trail and hiking conditions was great although I believe the trail is farther than 2.5 miles in because on all our devices it was closer to 6 miles but awesome waterfalls throughout the entire trail. Although before you get to the first of two bridge crossings there is a slightly rough couple spots you have to come over we had no trouble but older folks would have trouble getting back up! I’m legless but I’m a different breed so I’ve never came upon something that can stop me or would I let it! Hope to see you guys on the trail, you’ll know me just from my crazy awesome prosthetics!

Fantastic. Gorgeous waterfalls the whole way. First third is easy, middle third is a little more challenging, and final third is a real ankle turner with a lot of climbing. My 6 year old loved this trail!

An instant favorite! You get a little of everything; water falls, streams throughout, rocks, forest, minor incline, and beauty throughout. AllTrails issue: We went to the end of the GPS mapping provided on AllTrails; and we were about 0.2 miles short of the Van Hook Falls. So keep pushing it will be worth it.

I had set out for Bee Rock but it was closed so I drove a little farther looking for a walk. I read the map wrong and ended up on a trail that led straight into a back yard. Thank God they didn't have mean dogs or come out shooting and I just turned around. Finally seeing I'm suppose to be across the road I headed out. It was early and everything was beautiful.

Trailhead across from parking lot, almost did a different trail by accident. Trail was easy to follow, but was quite slippery in spots and ice was falling from the cliff overhangs. Many lovely small water falls on the way to Van Hook, but most are off trail and not easy to get to. Many creek crossing that are easy to cross, but can be very slick. We came across a hiker that fell and hit his head .....be careful if attempting in the winter months. Highly recommend the hike!

Beautiful trail with a couple of waterfalls along the way. It had just rained earlier in the week so the waterfalls were great, but trail was muddy and slippery with it being winter. The trail head was across the road from the parking lot and clearly marked with a sign at the beginning. Definitely worth the hike.

one of my favorite hikes

The dog and I had a lot of fun on this trail. Took us a while to figure out the trail was across the street from the parking lot but after that it was a beautiful trail and he loved crossing the river a few times.

Trails were iced over so it was very slippery. It is a beautiful trail but I had to quit right before the waterfall because I was terrified of the iced terrain where the path was thin and a fall would have been deadly. As it was I fell 3 times. Was really disappointed to not get to the waterfall but I felt it was not safe for me to go further.

Vanhook Falls trail along Pounder Branch is one of the most incredible and scenic trails in the state. This trail allows the hiker to see numerous waterfalls and walk a mostly level and easy to moderate trail. Vanhook Falls is a beautiful destination at around two and a half miles but beautiful cascades and waterfalls are abundant. I have taken this trip a half dozen times in the past couple of years and I never grow tired of the beauty. For a great display of water go in the winter or spring or after a good summer rain.

Dog and I did 9-10 miles on the trail plus Sheltowee 100. Yesterday was sunny, 50s and beautiful. relatively dry aside from wet mud near water sources. Trail is wonderfully maintained. Thanks to all the volunteers yesterday who were keeping it so awesome.

After a rain it was very muddy, but worth it! We had to go off trail a little to get around the mud. Several creek crossings and lots of little waterfalls along the way. Even with the government shutdown, the trail was clean. I was impressed with how green everything was in January! Seemed to be more like 3 -3.5 miles in. A beautiful trail for a variety of sights and challenges.

This is a beautiful hike! Like others, recommend going after a good rain, but be prepared for lots of mud! Lots of waterfalls to see along the trail before getting to the main one. When you get to it, there is a bench for viewing. You can go below the stairs to reach the waterfall itself and go behind it! If you get to the bench and go to the top of the stairs, it continues along a trail and to another creek crossing. At that point I stopped and turned around, cause I did not know where that trail led and I have a terrible track record of getting lost haha. I brought my dog and saw several other people with theirs also. Trail is not clearly marked, but a path is worn down. Just make sure to keep close to it, if not, follow the creek!

Love this hike in the summer. Lots of little waterfalls and water holes. Definitely recommend going after rain.

Great hike to a beautiful waterfall. A number of stream crossings, bridges and rockcastles to enjoy.

Good hike after the rain

Even on a cold and rainy day it was still worth it.