Van Hook Falls and Cane Creek Valley

Van Hook Falls and Cane Creek Valley is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near London, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fairly easy hike, but perhaps one of the most beautiful hikes I've done in years. 4 waterfalls, lots of small falls and creek crossings with perfectly placed rocks as stepping stones, well maintained and easy to follow trail, beautiful turquoise water, a couple places that look like they would be great for swimming (though it was too cold still today), stunning views of the Van Hook falls with lots of climbing opportunities to get as close to the water as you want. I can't wait to go back next time I'm driving through KY!

Another great hike for Hoss and me,Van Hook falls was frozen over,it was amazing,one of our favorite hikes, icicles were every where,the streams and creeks were frozen,it was a winter wonderland!!!!

Great trail.

Nice moderate forested trail. Waterfall can run dry at times so check on recent rainfall before you go. Watch for a good swimming hole about 3/4 of the way in, just off the trail. The creek is also fun for kids when the water level is good.

There are also some good spots for backcountry camping. It's a short hike for backpacking, but would be good for someone just beginning or for getting young kids into it.

Very enjoyable hike, 4 waterfalls along the way.

beautiful trail!

one of the best hiking trails I've been on

Great hike! My 6 and 10 year old daughters and my 5 year old nephew had no problem keeping up and we had a blast. This is a long trail so give yourself plenty of time.

Varied terrain with lots of pretty views. The falls were beautiful but my favorite part was crossing Cane Creek. The trail was covered with water or leaves in a couple spots because of the season but it was well maintained and easy to follow. Definitely more markers on the way back out than the hike in.

this was a great trail! had plenty to keep the kids engaged.

amazing, beautiful trail and waterfall!

The end result was worth the 2.5 mile hike.

Really nice hike! It can get a little muddy in some places. There is several places to stop and enjoy the stream.

This was a great hike with lots of scenery worth a camera shot. My wife and I are in pretty good shape so the hike was moderate at best. We hiked a total of 7.62 miles in total time of 4.41 hours.... but we stopped every time there was a photo op... which was quite a lot. We have never scene so many different colors and varieties of fungus (mushrooms) and we passed over 6 good size waterfalls before we arrived at the gem, Van Hook Falls. The trip back on took 2.4 miles. The trail itself is pretty worn and easy to follow. A group we met coming back told us to make sure we took the trail to the right at the T, they did not and did not make it to the falls... The T they are talking about has arrows pointing you to the right so??????? Follow the arrows.. We crossed 12 creeks and two bridges before we got to the falls. None of these creeks were very hard to cross or deep and 3 or 4 of them had rock bridges across them. The trail gets quite closed in toward the end, but at the falls there is actually a fairly new set of steps and a bench to ponder on. We went on down to hike behind the falls and had a long lunch behind them. Ths is a must do for anyone wishing to capture pictures of waterfalls. The water level and flow rate was nearly perfect. I checked the Rockcastel River gauge on the USGS sight and it was 5.5' and running 950 cfs. It would be a shame to hike this trail only find a dry falls. You will encounter a pretty set of waterfalls at about 0.8 miles of the start of the trip. That is a good gauge whether Van Hook is running. We started at the TH located at the intersection of West Laurel Rd and London Dock Rd.. Not to bad a trail and well worth the hike. Looking forward to hiking it again once all the leaves have dropped. This trail is a small part of the Sheltowee Trace Trail.

Check the precipation history before you do this hike. I went six days before and the falls were barely dripping; today it was roaring. Also, there are a couple others falls on the way and another farther up on the East Narrows Trail.

I did the extended loop, which runs East to the Narrows and started above Vanhook falls. I do not recommend this loop unless you are determined. Trees were down everywhere and the narrows, while roaring, pretty much couldn't be seen for the most part. I did get one good Vista tho and the waterfall was pretty awesome. Also the small campsite by the narrows was littered, the worst I've seen on a trail this year. However, the East Narrows Trail was clearly marked with white diamonds and with the signage was where it needed to be, with the exception of the winding ridge side trail, it was marked with blue tape.I only got turned around once. It's 11 to 13 miles so if you decide to do the loop, give yourself the necessary time.

Went hiking today, it's a VERY decent trail. I believe it's longer than 2 1/2 miles. The falls were dry and there wasn't any water whatsoever. It was a great hike otherwise!!

long hard trial. small waterfall. don't come unless you want to hike forever

Really nice trail. Training myself to take on the entire Shelltowee Trace this fall.

Very nice hike but waterfall dry also hike to yahoo falls earlier the same day but no water flowing.

Loved this trail! But most of all I really enjoyed the Falls. One even though it was breathtaking cold, loved playing around in it with the kids.

Easy trail with several waterfalls along the route. You have not made it to Van Hook Falls until you pass 2 bridges and a bench.

Great easy trail with lots to see.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Great hike in mid-April! Got to hike next to a series of small waterfalls and then ended up at Vanhook Falls, which was very neat. A fairly easy hike, but if it rains, the trail may be more difficult. You would have to cross small streams if it is wet and rainy. I was kinda confused at which trailhead lead to the falls, but figure out that the Vanhook Falls trail is across the road from the parking lot. Good couple hour hike.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Took my kids and no way they could get board! They loved all the water falls along the way. Beautiful easy trail for a family!!

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Lots of waterfalls, stray dogs by falls that were not friendly had to beat one with a stick, also some shady people in area. Overall a good hike for waterfall lovers.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

We love this trail!! Several small waterfalls to see on the way!!

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Absolutely loved it. I have hiked it twice now. However, if it has rained, be prepared to get soaked. A lot of creek crossings.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Beautiful hike. We came after a rain and saw 5 waterfall. One of my favorite hikes.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Nice easy trail, lots of water over the falls from recent rains

Saturday, March 11, 2017