Swift Camp Creek Trail

Swift Camp Creek Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Ridge, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and fishing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Near the Red River Gorge

We backpacked this trail for an overnighter in mid June. It was very muggy. Luckily the trail follows the creek and we were able to wade in and cool off at spots, not to mention filter water.

The trail was wet and muddy from water run off. Though it is well trodden, there are spots where we got stuck because it was not obvious where to go. The trail could definitely use better markers at key areas. I wouldn't say it was a difficult hike, more like moderate if you hike often. However, with the 30 pound bag on my back, every step felt like a chore while dodging roots, fallen debris, thorn bushes, rocks, and muddy areas. Add relentless heat and humidity and this trail makes for a long 1 mile an hour trek.

I absolutely loved this trail. Did it as part of a weekend backpacking trip rough and swift camp. This was a very beautiful trail. It definitely gets muddy and washed out but if you weren’t expecting it don’t complain you just didn’t do your research.

Brutal terrain. Elevation change and rocks and tree roots make for a really long trail. I’m not a regular hiker, so this was really too much for me. I hiked about 7.5 of the 10 miles over 11 hours and was completely exhausted at the end.

Still, it was an amazing trail that offered creek crossings, rock scrambling opportunities, waterfalls, birding, and plenty of flora to observe and delight. Highly recommended for those who are up to the challenge physically or who may be backpacking in and spending a couple of days on the trail.

Brandt - I think you were on the Rock Bridge Trail from the parking lot to Rock Bridge. Very easy. Take the kids. Beautiful sights! The Swift Camp Creek Trail, however, is 5 miles one way (10mi out and back) of up and down along Swift Camp Creek with hiking along the edge of a 100ft cliff, some tight spots, plenty of logs and mud. I do not recommend it for kids. I joined the trail from Wildcat and continued south so I missed the first 2 miles. It was beautiful but I did not plan appropriately and was out much longer than expected. If you headed south on the trail there is a spot where it seems to end in a creek. Keep going downstream to pick up the trail again. Not well marked. If you want to do the whole trail in a day: start early, pack a lunch and snacks, dress in layers and take a lot of water. It is challenging but there are wonderful sights along the way. Plan on taking 4 hours one-way and 8 hours for the round trip.

Just hiked this yesterday. I really enjoyed this trail. There were some good views, and found a nice spot to camp near the creek. The trail is not nearly as well traveled as some of the other well known trails. There are some spots that can get pretty tough. I would not recommend bringing kids.

Monday, July 03, 2017

excellent trail but I'd have to say that the rating of "hard" is a bit of a stretch! this is a solid intermediate trail.
hike to the creek (about 1.65 miles in), and cool down in the crystal clear water. even in July, the water was cool and refreshing.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Great trail.. I love camping down by the creek. Nothing better when laying in your hammock and trying to fall asleep with the sounds of rushing water.. Great trail for an experienced hiker. I agree with the other guy. Do not bring little kids or dogs. Plenty of water. :)

Sunday, April 23, 2017

definitely not an easy trail. I repeat, do not bring your young child down this trail. it's around 7.5 miles one way of steep cliffs with narrow trails. many ups and downs. very technical with rocks/slippery roots/mud.

That being said. I loved the trail. if you're up for it it's great.

Monday, March 20, 2017

This is a fantastic trail. It has everything you could want: steep declines and inclines throughout; rugged terrain; crossing rivers; going under caves; jumping and climbing over fallen logs; narrow paths on the edge of cliffs. All the while, surrounded by stunning pines and wildlife. This hike does require a lot of attention to footing, particularly at the higher altitudes where there are more narrow paths on cliffs. I have only hiked it once and thoroughly enjoyed it. I only encountered two other sets of people while on the trail, so it seemed to be pretty isolated to me. It can be a bit easy to get lost given that some of the trail is less marked, and with fallen trees the path can be easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. I had to back track a few times to re-find the trail.

Make sure to pack enough water, packed snacks, and toiletries. Dress in layers! I recommend that you estimate 45 minutes to 60 minutes per mile in order to make sure you complete it before it gets dark. an FYI to dog owners- - I went with my very active and athletic dog. While he had a great time, he was struggling toward the end and tried several times to make a bed in the cool dirt for himself. There is a lot of jumping over logs for them -- make sure to pack plenty of water and ensure they are fit for the job!

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Love this trail. We like to go halfway and camp and then do the other half the next day. Real neat spot to camp near the river about halfway through the hike from the Rock Bridge side.

Friday, September 09, 2016

This IS NOT an Easy Trail!!!!!! This trail is much longer than 5 miles with very sheer drop offs. It's a beautiful trail that requires a lot of attention to footing.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Completed Swift Camp Creek Trail yesterday it was average 93 degrees outside and I would say 100% humidity. One of the toughest hikes I have experienced. This trail is about 8 miles point to point we went from rock bridge trailhead to swift camp creek trail head. Would not suggest this trail in the summer time. Lots of fallen trees from recent storm have mostly been cleared except a few. Lots of up and down killed my legs. Saw copperheads and ticks! Good luck!

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A very enjoyable, easy hike. It has some absolutely wonderful camping sites a little ways off the trail, right down on Swift Camp creek. The creek itself has some good trout fishing, and I believe it is still stocked yearly. Saw a few others camped along the creek, but it was mostly secluded. Campsites had some trash though, so bring some bags and you might be able to do some good. Overall, bring a hammock and a pole and you'll be in heaven.

Monday, January 04, 2016

This is a hidden treasure in the Red, as it's not used often. We did it in March, and got pretty dang cold as the temp dropped significantly overnight by the river. We had to hike it out at 4am, which is not recommended at all in the Red, but we had plenty of lighting and experience. It was a good learning opportunity for anyone. It's pretty strenuous, there are sections you have to climb up. A lot of trees to cross over, this trail is pretty challenging. If you're looking for more leisure go elsewhere.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

I've been on this trial twice. It's not used or maintained as often as others. The first time I went it was in the spring of 2015 and bc of the snows it was one big, long, damp mud pit. The last time 08/05/2015 was after numerous storms in the area and there were dozens of trees down across the trail and lots of debris as well. I hike with my dog so she struggled quite a bit. I am a capable person but the trial was also a struggle for me. After 4 hours of struggling we reached a point where the trail is completely lost under layers of fallen trees. Bc of the river and a cliff on both sides you can not go around to look for the trail you have to go over the debris and hope it's there. My dog almost fell through, which was terrifying considering it is impossible to know how far down it was. This is a challenging trail right now. I do not recommend it for kids, start early you don't want to get stuck out there in the dark.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Love it!

Monday, March 17, 2014

had a good time on this trail it is a little difficult an there was some nice people out there an I advise to start early so you don't have to hump it out on the return trip an bring plunty of water I ran out on the last 1.5miles .

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Did part of this loop as an in-and-out with our Scout troop. Some of it was pretty rugged but not terrible. Got into a yellow jacket nest that is under a log crossing the trail. Log has been cut off of the trail, I'm sure one of our guys stepped on it or kicked it. About 300 yards south of the creek in a sharp bend. Camped at the the creek. Really nice place to hammock camp. large flat area that can fit a bunch of people.

Friday, July 20, 2012

This trail is by far my favorite in the red river Area. It is in the wilderness area which means no mechanized vehicles can get in or out. Interesting in here they labeled it a loop but it is a Point to Point trail. Here and other sources showed it as 5 to 6 miles but by my GPS is was actually around 8 to 9 miles. Perhaps it is difference walking miles vs map miles?
This trail is quite rugged and difficult. The last mile was nearly all uphill. I hike this in the fall when it is cooler. The sites are awesome and you can really get a sense of the presence of God here.
If you choose to Yo-Yo this I suggest starting early and bring plenty of water. The first time I did this trail I ran out of water half way on the return and by the end I was drinking water from the trail itself so suggest you carry a water purification pump with you.
There are many trails crossing the main trail so it is important that you follow the markers and keep your map skills sharp so you stay on the right path.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

recorded Swift camp creek out and back

Saturday, August 19, 2017