Swift Camp Creek Trail

Swift Camp Creek Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Ridge, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and fishing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Near the Red River Gorge

excellent trail but I'd have to say that the rating of "hard" is a bit of a stretch! this is a solid intermediate trail.
hike to the creek (about 1.65 miles in), and cool down in the crystal clear water. even in July, the water was cool and refreshing.

Great trail.. I love camping down by the creek. Nothing better when laying in your hammock and trying to fall asleep with the sounds of rushing water.. Great trail for an experienced hiker. I agree with the other guy. Do not bring little kids or dogs. Plenty of water. :)

definitely not an easy trail. I repeat, do not bring your young child down this trail. it's around 7.5 miles one way of steep cliffs with narrow trails. many ups and downs. very technical with rocks/slippery roots/mud.

That being said. I loved the trail. if you're up for it it's great.

This is a fantastic trail. It has everything you could want: steep declines and inclines throughout; rugged terrain; crossing rivers; going under caves; jumping and climbing over fallen logs; narrow paths on the edge of cliffs. All the while, surrounded by stunning pines and wildlife. This hike does require a lot of attention to footing, particularly at the higher altitudes where there are more narrow paths on cliffs. I have only hiked it once and thoroughly enjoyed it. I only encountered two other sets of people while on the trail, so it seemed to be pretty isolated to me. It can be a bit easy to get lost given that some of the trail is less marked, and with fallen trees the path can be easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. I had to back track a few times to re-find the trail.

Make sure to pack enough water, packed snacks, and toiletries. Dress in layers! I recommend that you estimate 45 minutes to 60 minutes per mile in order to make sure you complete it before it gets dark. an FYI to dog owners- - I went with my very active and athletic dog. While he had a great time, he was struggling toward the end and tried several times to make a bed in the cool dirt for himself. There is a lot of jumping over logs for them -- make sure to pack plenty of water and ensure they are fit for the job!

Love this trail. We like to go halfway and camp and then do the other half the next day. Real neat spot to camp near the river about halfway through the hike from the Rock Bridge side.

This IS NOT an Easy Trail!!!!!! This trail is much longer than 5 miles with very sheer drop offs. It's a beautiful trail that requires a lot of attention to footing.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Completed Swift Camp Creek Trail yesterday it was average 93 degrees outside and I would say 100% humidity. One of the toughest hikes I have experienced. This trail is about 8 miles point to point we went from rock bridge trailhead to swift camp creek trail head. Would not suggest this trail in the summer time. Lots of fallen trees from recent storm have mostly been cleared except a few. Lots of up and down killed my legs. Saw copperheads and ticks! Good luck!

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A very enjoyable, easy hike. It has some absolutely wonderful camping sites a little ways off the trail, right down on Swift Camp creek. The creek itself has some good trout fishing, and I believe it is still stocked yearly. Saw a few others camped along the creek, but it was mostly secluded. Campsites had some trash though, so bring some bags and you might be able to do some good. Overall, bring a hammock and a pole and you'll be in heaven.

Monday, January 04, 2016

This is a hidden treasure in the Red, as it's not used often. We did it in March, and got pretty dang cold as the temp dropped significantly overnight by the river. We had to hike it out at 4am, which is not recommended at all in the Red, but we had plenty of lighting and experience. It was a good learning opportunity for anyone. It's pretty strenuous, there are sections you have to climb up. A lot of trees to cross over, this trail is pretty challenging. If you're looking for more leisure go elsewhere.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

I've been on this trial twice. It's not used or maintained as often as others. The first time I went it was in the spring of 2015 and bc of the snows it was one big, long, damp mud pit. The last time 08/05/2015 was after numerous storms in the area and there were dozens of trees down across the trail and lots of debris as well. I hike with my dog so she struggled quite a bit. I am a capable person but the trial was also a struggle for me. After 4 hours of struggling we reached a point where the trail is completely lost under layers of fallen trees. Bc of the river and a cliff on both sides you can not go around to look for the trail you have to go over the debris and hope it's there. My dog almost fell through, which was terrifying considering it is impossible to know how far down it was. This is a challenging trail right now. I do not recommend it for kids, start early you don't want to get stuck out there in the dark.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015