Star Gap Arch Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stanton, Kentucky that features a great forest setting. The trail is good for all skill levels and is primarily used for hiking and running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 259 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very flat and boring, IMO.

Easy walk, no mud, no stairs or big hills. We missed the turn, but back tracked to it. Nice views from above, but not of the arch.

This is a very easy, beautiful trail. The so called scramble is very easy, it's short and there's roots and trees to hold. The arch is gorgeous.

The main attraction in this area is Star Gap Arch. There are other trails that shoot off down ridgelines; each having it’s own unique view. You will have to drop down to a lower trail to get under the arch. To get to the lower trail you’ll go left a little before you get to Star Gap Arch. You will slide down exposed sandstone about 10 feet. Then you’ll have to drop down another 10 feet by working down a crack. The crack has roots and dirt for foot and hand holds. From there you follow the rock wall to you come across Star Gap Arch. I left lots of photos and waypoints on my recording that can help you find your way.

Another fun adventure at the Red River Gorge Backpacking and overnight camp under the beautiful stars!!!! Another Arch scratched off list Hot temp in 90s Found Star Gap Arch one of my favorites thus far Fun sliding down sand stone Challenging getting back up with 100 lb dog No wildcats visiting our camp this time Spaniard the natives called Bear

Tue Apr 09 2019

gets a bit muddy and slick if wet or just post rain, pretty much a 1 person wide trail the majority of the way without any signs, but the view at the end is worth it

Tue Dec 18 2018

Such an easy out and back, a very majestic gem of the area. Much bigger than anticipated and lots of places to explore around the arch. Easy hike down to Skyview Arch once you get back onto Star Gap trail. Highly recommended

Mon Nov 12 2018

Great arch! Easy to reach the top. A little scary going down to actually see the arch. You have to scramble down a sandstone face to a narrow one foot wide ledge at the edge of a sheer cliff which you follow to the arch. Don’t attempt if you are not sure-footed or if you are afraid of heights.

Wed Aug 22 2018

On a family backpacking trip through The Red, we saw Star Gap Arch's name and just had to go see it, since my name is Starr. Now, I may be biased, but Star Gap Arch is my favorite. You can walk above and below the arch to enjoy all aspects of nature's sculpture.

Sat May 26 2018

Very confusing, not worth it.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Definitely one of the most amazing arches in the gorge!

Mon Dec 11 2017

Unmarked trail for as much as I could tell. You hike down the gravel road a little farther then I would have liked then the actual dirt trail is on the left. It’s not marked so you’d miss it if you’re not using the GPS. The trail down to the look out is great. Very easy. Pretty views from on top of the arch. We struggled to see a way to the bottom of the arch. Followed what looked like a rough trail that is to the left before you walk our on top of the arch. We slid down a small rock face and that put us on the bottom. Well worth it. There could be other ways to the bottom but I didn’t have luck seeing too many. The view of the arch is very beautiful. It was challenging to get down and up from the bottom so just be prepared to go off trail or sliding on your rear a little as it was pretty steal. My very experience dog did fine. I wouldn’t take kids to the bottom or dogs not brave enough to go through the rough and do a little climbing. It is steep. Be careful.

Wed Jun 14 2017

Star Gap is a great arch! It is one of the fab five arches in the gorge. Hiking on the gravel stinks, but once you get to the turn off, this trail is a nice walk in the woods. Getting under the arch is easier if you switchback down a side trail to the left. Look for this side trail a couple hundred feet before the trail goes on top of the arch. Once you go back to the main Star Gap Trail and reach the fork again, continue out to the end of this ridge to reach Pepe's Point, a great overlook. Many camping spots on this trail.

Sat Jun 10 2017

I'd give it better reviews but there is a ton of garbage and old vehicles off the left fork of the trail. I wish the forestry service would get in there and clean it up. Otherwise, even with the other trails packed, we only saw one other person on this trail. A great quick trail to do overall and there are a couple decent spots for doing some backpacking - especially with children.

Sun Apr 30 2017

Don't stop only at the Arch. Although one of my favorite arches at the Gorge, there is almost two miles of ridge trail beyond it. Fantastic views. See my recording. Get a copy of The Hinterlands written by Jerrell Goodpastor. Jerrell describes in detail 100 or so unmarked trails in Red River Gorge. A must for any lover of the Gorge.

Sun Mar 12 2017

great way to spend the day

Fri Oct 14 2016

Nice camp spots and great high views.Deff will be back...

Sun Aug 28 2016

beautiful views from the top. I'd love to go down inside, but without climber's gear or balls of steel, I can't figure out how! there's a Grandview of the whole arch from the back trail in the last camp site before approaching the arch.

Fri Jun 10 2016

was a very nice trail. I enjoyed it alot!

Mon May 02 2016

the hike there is easy. this was my first rapel and the hike back up was a little challenging, but fun.

Wed Mar 23 2016

Unmarked and difficult getting to the actual arch but worth it! Massive and awesome.

Mon Aug 10 2015

Great trail with awesome views and an arch. Hiked this on a Saturday in July, only seen one other person on the trail.