Silvermine Arch Trail

Silvermine Arch Trail is a 1.5 mile out and back trail located near Pine Ridge, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

This trail leaves the backpacker's parking area at Koomer Ridge Campground and follows a dry wooded ridge northeast to Silvermine Arch, a natural arch with a large waterfall below the cliff. A spur trail leads back to Koomer Ridge Campground.

Beautiful arch and area around it.

I really enjoyed this trail. Being able to jump on right behind our campsite made the Koomer Ridge prices well worth it.

I hiked it multiple times during our stay. On a particularly​ hot day, I sought refuge by climbing up some rocks into a damp shaded spot not far from the silvermine arch. Only 3 ppl passed me in 3 hours on a nice weekend so I don't think it is too heavily trafficked.
The arch itself was beautiful and calm, with just steady drips and no falls. Easy to do some careful off-trail climbing to explore a bit.

The trip back up can be brutal at the end of a day of hiking though. I am a fairly fit dude and there was one time where I had to take that giant staircase very slowly bc my body was quite frustrated at what I was asking it to do. That said, there are more strenuous hikes in the area and I saw a group of folks who looked to be in their 60s (and fit) handle it fine.

Totally worth it. I can't wait to go back when more is in bloom.

Would be better after some rain- it's been dry for a while, so the falls were non-existent.

Really liked this trail once it was in the deep forest.

The arch is worth the Stairs!

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

*I will preface this by saying that the hike to the arch is easy, but the hike back is of a more moderate difficulty due to the series of uphill climbs and super long set of stairs.

This is a great little day hike that begins right at Koomer Ridge Campground. The first half of the hike stays very near the outskirts of the campground, taking you past the amphitheater and several campsites. at about the midpoint, there is an east-facing overlook that is great for sunrises and lunch stops. The trail then begins a decent beginning with a rather long staircase. The remainder of the trail takes you through lush rhododendron stands. The arch is very shaded and mossy. When water levels allow, there is a nice waterfall feature. There are also several boulders to climb around on.

Overall, a nice hike with varying terrains and points of interest along the way!

Monday, April 27, 2015

Friday, November 18, 2011

This trail is off of the koomer ridge campground. It is a fairly easy trail that isn't that scenic until you get to the arch. That being said, no hike is a bad hike.