Siltstone Trail

Siltstone Trail is a 12.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fairdale, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Siltstone Trail traverses the knobs of southern Jefferson County, topping out on some of the areas highest points. The trail can be hiked from either end, and is an easy shuttle if you have a hiking buddy with wheels. Otherwise, it's an out and back hike. It doesn't take long to get warmed up on this hike. After strolling past Tom Wallace Lake, you're faced with a 300' climb from the trailhead. Once you've made the climb, the hike is mostly a ridge line hike. But this doesn't mean there's no more climbing. The trail drops down to cross 2 paved roads, with steep climbs down and up at each intersection. With over 3,000' of total climbing, this trail keeps the thighs burning and the heart pumping. Since nearly the entire hike is through heavily wooded areas, this is a great hike in the fall and when the leaves are off in the winter and early spring. Deer and wild turkey (feathered not bottled) are commonly seen along the way.

Several good ascents. Lots of ridge hiking with good views in early spring or late fall. Take plenty of water and arrange transport if only want to do one way.

challenging, beautiful, peaceful

Good, strenuous trail right near Louisville. Would recommend for a good day trip without having to leave the Louisville area!

Great trail - not overly challenging, but definitely gets the blood pumping.

Nice trail. Great for training. Ups and downs.

Great elevation changes that will get your heart rate up quickly. Trees, trees, rocks and more trees fill in most of this trail, therefor hindering many views only seen in the winter. Still one of my favorite day hikes available in the surrounding area.

I completed this trail this weekend. The hike in was easy going for me. The hike back to the car was tough, but was exactly the challenge that I was looking for. As others have commented, there was a lot of trash, but it was mostly in the first 2 miles from the Welcome Center.

challenging and beautiful

Lightly traveled, well maintained, beautiful scenery!

Has a nice trek on this trial and combined it with Scott's loop for a little over 16 miles for a full day of hiking. It was a great training hike, just the challenge I needed for future longer hikes.

The tree cover was helpful but at 86 degrees it turned this trial from hard to brutal at some points. My pack weight was 29lbs with 94oz of water but I was thankful for the trail angel that place a gallon at the turn around of Siltstone.

Beautiful overlooks, lake view, a variety of wildlife, combination of forest and ridge line prairie, this is a true treasure for the people living in the area. Treat it that way and don't leave your trash on the trail. I packed out as much as I could but had to leave some behind.

Trail has nice cover while hiking in the middle of summer months. You will get a good work out if completing the entire round trip. Disappointed in the hikers/runners that feel it is alright to throw their trash on the ground.

The best trail running in Jefferson County. It's a beast of a trail if you aren't prepared, but so much fun. Like other folks say, have a car parked at Scott's Gap unless you want to do the whole thing twice (which I'll be doing soon). The hills aren't entirely runnable but unlike Scotts Gap you do have some space for recovery between the big climbs and fast descents. I would suggest taking it easy on the first hill lest you burn all your juice up in the first mile or so.

Nice little shaded trail that's good for July running. However it's more of a trail that's better for distance than pace, since there are some parts that force you to stop and walk.

Beautiful trail with some great climbs. Spot on at 2,850 ft of elevation gain. Lots of cover from the sun, made for a beautiful morning run. Ran the full out and back 13 in 2h30m, but she'll crush you! Lots of hikers but they all were very nice and moved off the trail for passing.

I ran this last week. It took me a bit over 2 hours and 15 min, but make no mistake, this is a HIKING trail. From the welcome center to the turn around post, just past the power lines at Scott's Gap Rd, is 6.7 miles for 13.4 total mileage. This is not for an average runner or hiker to go out on a whim and try. Know your limits, share the trail

Nice hike but tough. Make sure you have a car waiting if you're not making the six mile trek back to your car. Also warning if you're planning on calling a ride back to your car at the visitors center, be aware that If you end your hike at scotts gap there is absolutely no cell reception!!! So just tell them to meet you there in about 3 hours (one way).

GO PREPARED
If not you will be sucking at life!!!

Monday, April 10, 2017

Difficult trail, but worth the distance. I'll make sure to be better prepared next time around.

Monday, April 03, 2017

I was surprised by this trail. It's definitely challenging, but typically each climb comes with a downhill reprieve. Really enjoyed the hike, but being a one way trail make the logistics tough. It's a pretty tough trail to go up and back with. Have a car waiting!

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Great local trail that is challenging and contains significant elevation change for this area.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

The best trail in Louisville that Ive found so far. It took me 3 days to do all of it because i kept parking and then having to backtrack to my car. Ive parked at the furthest point on Tom Wallace and hiked it to high knob twice now. This requires climbing 5 mountains lol, and almost 9 miles of hiking. Hopefully i will do the whole thing and back one day.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

We are not very experienced hikers so this was definitely work for us. We obviously didn't do the whole trail but we enjoyed the challenge!

Friday, March 03, 2017

Nice hike and a decent challenge for experienced hikers. I would advise caution to new hikers as this trail is roughly 6.5 miles ONE WAY! You will need to traverse the same obstacles twice to make it back to the parking area and the start of the trail. There are a few parking spaces within the first mile of the trail so you can park where ever is convenient. The area can get busy on the weekends especially in the summer. Overall pleasant hike with nice tree covered views of downtown louisville and a few open farm and factory areas (best viewing are when the leaves have fallen in fall or spring).

Sunday, February 19, 2017

The distance for the entire trail is 31.5 miles, round trip. There are no spectacular views, but it is a nice, well marked ridge-top trail. The trail was popular with trail runners and dog walkers, but we felt reasonably alone for most of our hike, Most of the people we saw were near the parking areas.
We intended this hike as a training and exercise hike, and the distance and elevation changes were ideal for this.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Very beautiful trail with lots of elevation changes. Trail need a little work but it is winter and not peak season. It looks like trail posts were recently replaced. Overall a very enjoyable trek.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

This is a great trail. I really enjoyed it.
I had a little trouble finding the trailhead though. You can park at Scott's Gap loop trailhead or the visitors center.
Leaves covering the trail made it tough to see rocks and roots on the trail but that's to be expected this time of year. There are plenty of tough climbs with great views as the reward. It's possible to extend the run by doing Scott's Gap loop (3.2 mi) or Yost ridge trail. Bear Camp parking lot is about half way and could be a good spot to stash water.

Monday, October 10, 2016

This was my first time on the trail and definitely a tough one. I don't suggest this trail for anyone who isn't moderately in shape. Having completed 30 half marathons the mileage didn't scare me, but I wasn't prepared for just how taxing the elevation change would be. Lots of ups and downs make this a great, challenging hike. Wasn't difficult to maneuver my way around, but the acorns made it a bit tough to keep my footing from time to time. I will definitely do this one again.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

I took an "Alone in the woods with God Day." What a great hike. I was truly alone - no other people. I saw 8 types of mushrooms and collected some amazing geodes. Going to do it again as soon as the leaves are off of the trees.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

trail was great. great day hike. the only thing that needs work is marking of trail heads.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great day hike! It will test your endurance for sure. I loved it! Lots of elevation changes. Only saw one person on trail. Lots of ticks though. A definite must do!