Siltstone Trail is a 12.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Fairdale, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,211 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Siltstone Trail traverses the knobs of southern Jefferson County, topping out on some of the areas highest points. The trail can be hiked from either end, and is an easy shuttle if you have a hiking buddy with wheels. Otherwise, it's an out and back hike. It doesn't take long to get warmed up on this hike. After strolling past Tom Wallace Lake, you're faced with a 300' climb from the trailhead. Once you've made the climb, the hike is mostly a ridge line hike. But this doesn't mean there's no more climbing. The trail drops down to cross 2 paved roads, with steep climbs down and up at each intersection. With over 3,000' of total climbing, this trail keeps the thighs burning and the heart pumping. Since nearly the entire hike is through heavily wooded areas, this is a great hike in the fall and when the leaves are off in the winter and early spring. Deer and wild turkey (feathered not bottled) are commonly seen along the way.

The trail isn't anything pretty to look at, no nice views, but it was a nice challenging Trail for something convenient and it's a straightforward, well maintained trail. Beware some people do not keep their dogs on leashes on this Trail. I like dogs but some woman had two huge Doberman Pinschers off their leashes. Kind of dangerous for anyone else walking around with their dogs. I have also done a half marathon on this before...grueling.

Trail is in good shape. Challenging trail out and back.

Challenging hike. The first two and last two miles you will see the most inclines and declines. Definitely the most difficult parts. The middle portion is more moderate. Great exercise and really well marked trail. No big waterfalls or big sights too see. Would do it again for sure.

Beautiful, well-maintained trail. Its challenging but most of it is runnable if you’re looking for that. There are a couple streams along the way for pups to rehydrate. It doesn’t have the breathtaking vistas that I love and no payoff at the turnaround point, but the nature and views on the ridge made it worth the burn. Overall wonderful day.

This trail was awesome but lives up to it’s hard ranking. There are hardly any level sections of the trail, it’s either up, down, really up or really down. It was gorgeous and I saw very few people on my run today. The distance and the elevation listed here are incorrect. Using Nike Run Club with GPS on, from Tom Wallace to Scott’s Gap road and back was 13.5 miles (6.8 one way) and about 3200 feet of elevation gained for the whole trip. I went in mid March and it was very pretty but the trees were bare. I’m excited to come back in the summer or spring and see all of the colors are greens. A few sections of the trail were muddy but it wasn’t bad at all and they were easily avoidable.

We did a 10 mile (5 in&back) hike this past weekend. Couldn't have asked for better weather. We started at 8:30am and it was a little chilly. Approx. 3 miles in my jacket came off and by the 5 mile point my sweatshirt was off and hair up. The incline will definitely give a good leg and rear workout! The views are very nice, the trails in really good shape. There can be quite a bit of traffic that 1st 3 miles, which I wasn't as fond of, but noone can deny it's a hike.

Great trail. Hiked it back-to-back days. However on Saturday March 7...ran out of day light and only got 10 miles (5 out and back). I was irritated so I went back March 8 and re-hiked to the end and back. On my Adidas App, it read 13.62 total miles. I was not trying to set a speed record. Took me 4h:35m. Only saw a few people each day. Starting at the welcome center and hiking to Scott’s Gap...I felt the first 3 miles were the best bang for your buck. The “climbs”/inclines are not hard if you have ok fitness. The distance is the challenge. Trail is in wonderful condition!!! Zero trash!!! Bridges are solid and most of the fallen trees are cut up...certainly the large trees. Would HIGHLY recommend. I took 2 liters of water and a protein bar. Would suggest taking a snack for the complete round trip and at least 2 liters of water. Will hike again next time I’m in L’Ville!!!

Prep hike for backpacking Knobstone Trail. Started hike with backpack filled to 22lbs, including 8lbs of water and about a pound of food. Estimate pack weight was only about 13-15lbs for last few miles of hike. Conditions were sunny and cold with predominantly freeze dried trail surface. 23* at 11am start, 26* high at 1pm with fell to 19* by end of hike.

According to my Garmin, Samsung tracker, and even the AllTraills recorder, this is a little over a 13 mile hike, not 12 miles. Only a 7-8% increase from the 12 miles listed, but it seems like a big difference when you are at the end of this long trek. It is a very nice hike - well kept trail, clean, and a variety of mature forest species. However, there are no vistas along the way. I have been hiking several trails in this area of KY for the past week or so and there are no vistas to look out at your beautiful countryside! Anyways, this trail is long, but not that hard regarding elevation. Yes, some hills and switchbacks, but not difficult. Only the distance of the trail may be challenging to some.

wonderful Trail! pristine condition! quite tough lots of uphill switch back

loved it

I’ve hiked parts of this trail for years, mostly in Tom Wallace Park. I have been wanting to tackle the whole trail for a while. Finally got around to it, and I’m glad I did! The most heavily trafficked area is in Tom Wallace Park; once you get across Jefferson Hill Road, and especially after cross Bear Camp Road, you get some pretty desolate hiking in. Also, from Bear Camp Road to the end of the trail on Scott’s Gap Road, it’s mostly ridgetop hiking, less ridge climbing in this section. Some great vista views, if you can find a gap in the trees. One caveat: if you hike in Summer, douse yourself in bug spray - the ticks are horrible through this area. Overall, this is the best trail I’ve hiked in Kentuckiana!

used this trail to train for the Ragnar Appalachian black loop, and glad I did. I combined it with Scott's Gap trail to get the mileage. It was as challenging as any of the trails in WV, so not for novice. Bring plenty of liquids and take your time. Trail was in great shape. I can't wait to run it in the fall and winter, I bet the views are awesome.

Awesome trail and a definite smoke session! The hills were pretty grueling but the sights were amazing.

It was a fun trail with a mix of steep ascents and descents that weren’t runnable due to the rain from that day. It’s not necessarily slippery when wet unless you’re moving fast. Hiking this trail wet or dry would be no problem. There are some nice rolling flats that you can jog throughout the trail. I didn’t run into much wildlife at all And this trail doesn’t really offer much to see. It’s just a great trail to get out and enjoy a nature and get some exercise. Clean air and quiet even though the trail does look like it gets quite a bit of use throughout the year. That being said, Trail conditions are a little on the overgrown side sometimes, and if the plants are wet, plan on having soaked shoes. No bikes, no horses… Foot traffic only :-) Lots of shade for the entire trail when the leaves are full. Ample parking on either side of the main road. The visitor center, as long as it’s open, has a bathroom, some items for sale including some snacks and drinks. There’s also a water fountain and a pop machine that’s available from the outside when the store is closed.

What a challenge. The length is the hardest part. Both ends have some difficulty and manageable areas but having to repeat them to do the entire trail was tough as we got tired. Parked cars at each end to give ourselves an opportunity to have hydration and some snacks. I would recommend trekking poles and plan for double the water. Great trail, will be doing again.

Trail ran this about a month ago. Great for running because elevation is spread out. I started from park store/ranger station so GPS said it was longer than mileage stated a above - a little over 17 miles. I could have done a few spur trails also?? Not sure, but plan on doing again next time I’m in the area.

It’s a workout! Not for the novice. Do it to beat the trail! Out and back

This is a well marked and maintained trail. It offers a lot of elevation gain for a good workout. I have done this trail in sections, as well as joined it with the Purple Heart loop trail for an extra couple miles. Great trail!

great trail if you're looking for a workout, in a couple of different places a few trails come together and are a little hard to tell what trail is what, but other then that we enjoyed it immensely. The people we came across were very friendly, and happy to say hi and chat for a bit. Looking forward to doing this trail again next weekend.

walked this entire trail with my dog, on the way back my hips started to give out (I'm 27) and I was in excruciating pain for the next couple days. but I dont regret it. come prepared.

Mon May 13 2019

Was a really tough but beautiful trail. Ran it with a buddy and I’d definitely say you better be ready for a workout haha

Tue Apr 23 2019

Did this trail yesterday with my dog. After a heavy week of rain the streams were flowing and if you have a filter you really don’t need to carry much water except whole on the ridges. There were several downed trees in the middle third but nothing you can’t work around. Hard workout but also very enjoyable.

Mon Jan 28 2019

Had a great time on this trail. the hills were a good workout. Didnt have enough time to do the entire thing, but did enough to thoroughly enjoy it. The trail was mostly frozen when we went.

Thu Dec 27 2018

The trail is hard and ok but not worth of driving 2 hours for it. Great for local people. Views are average and nothing to write home about. My GPS showed a bit more than 13 miles.

Thu Dec 06 2018

Lots of hills.

Fri Oct 26 2018

It’s a good hike. If you want to add to it, you can add 3 miles by adding Scott’s Gap.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Good trail to test your metal!

Tue Oct 09 2018

The trail is beautiful, just be prepared to work for it! Would do it again, maybe in the winter when you can get better views.