Shanty Hollow Lake Trail

Shanty Hollow Lake Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bowling Green, Kentucky that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

rock climbing

A great trail for native KY plants. After rainfall, the trail can become quite muddy and occasionally flooded in parts. The trail is not very well maintained, but this isn't hard to overcome. You may come across the occasional fallen tree or overgrown bush. Usually very peaceful with little traffic.

Shanty Hollow after several days of heavy rain leaves plenty of mud and two spots where ankle-deep water crossing is required, but there are many rock overhangs to dry out under and the waterfall is much more lively. Definitely take the time to follow some of the side paths for great views and interesting rock formations (some very light climbing is required in a few spots). One of the best short scenic hikes in the area.

I agree that Shanty Hollow is a beautiful trail. We've hiked it with the dog and kids. We've rappelled off of the cliffs and photographed most of it. Unfortunately, there are two things that detract from the enjoyment. We've been finding trash left--fishing supplies & related mostly. In pretty weather, the place is wall-to-wall college students. Many of them bring in nylon hammocks and hang out by the waterfall. That noted, the rocks and cliffs are beautiful. In heavy rains and in the winter, the waterfall is really pretty. There is even a small (really small) canyon just before the waterfall. I'll pick a date for the review, but we've been going there since 1987. Kentucky DFWR used to own it. Now, Western Kentucky University owns it. It isn't daily, but the WKU PD and WCSO do sometimes come out to see if everything is o.k.

Fun afternoon but stay on the trail!

Nice hike, lots of rock formations and a small waterfall. Need to wear boots and some of the trail is challenging with rocks and trees. overall great experience.

trail is not maintained but its still a nice hike.

Loved the trail but not appropriate for small children. Took a two year old and had to carry most of the way. Also, were shoes made for mud.

Nice easy hike to a small but beautiful waterfall. Short but sweet. Great place to take children.

The first third of the trail may be easy, but with the lack of maintenance and all the rain we've had the rest of the trail should be rated MODERATE DIFFICULTY.

We love it, though. Hiked it this weekend with my 10, 6, 4, and 2yos. It was priceless seeing how excited they were when we reached the falls - they knew they'd worked hard for a great reward.

Beautiful bluffs all along the trail, then the creek and waterfall. You can also see the lake from most of the trail.

My family really enjoyed this hike.

Fun hike to the waterfall. Beautiful scenery. The footing around the rocks during some of the small elevation changes could be moderately difficult.

Great scenery, few obstacles, beautiful waterfall.

This was our first trail, 4yr old and 6yr old and they handled it well...they wanted to climb all over everything. The water is beautiful, the trash we could do without. We did get a bit off the trail due to many side treks but wasn't terrible. Beautiful this time of year!

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Nice waterfall at the end when it's been raining. We like trails that have a destination.

Friday, January 06, 2017

Kinda muddy. Well worn path. Several areas of rock overhangs used for "camping" by some locals.
The lake is nice with little amount of traffic.

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Love this place! It is beautiful. It is a natural playground.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Good little hike. I hike it at about 4 mph a couple times a month. It would be nice if the trail was better marked, until you've walked it a couple times it's easy to get off on popular offshoots. Leaves are awful right now, very hard to get steady footing on the rocks.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Didn't catch any fish so decided to hike. The hike was nice but the trash was gross. I always carry a bag to carry out trash, this was the most I've ever had to pick up. Mostly at the beginning. Obviously a hangout for slobby people.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Wish the path was better marked but loved the waterfall!

Monday, June 06, 2016

Was fun but first time we went and took wrong path and almost fell off a rock 8ft and would have died... But besides that it is a lot of fun I would go again!!

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Close to home and my go to for a quick hike with the pups. Love this place year round!

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

One of my favorite trails that's close to home. Started going in college and still love to go at least once a year.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Did this trail for the first time today. Overall, it's not bad. It makes for a pretty good training trail, when prepping/training for a longer more strenuous hike. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think it's ok to leave their trash laying around. Not excessive, but enough to notice. Overall, a decent hike, good side trails for exploring rock formations or climbing, and some nice overlooks and quiet areas to relax.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Nice little hike to a cute waterfall.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

a good place for me and my friend to take r lil boys out and start them hiking

Friday, March 25, 2016

Trail was pretty easy .. Would be a great spot to take some fishing kayaks .. Very calm water .. Waterfall was pretty cool seen some Better ones, but was worth the hike !

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Took the kids. Was lovely to explore with them! It's a popular spot.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Great day hike, fun for kids and hardly any people on the trail.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

I've been 4 times and hiked a different route to the "waterfall" each time...definitely best right after a big rain

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Awesome! One of my favorite hiking spots. Love how it has both easy and more difficult trails. I always try to pick up any trash i see, usually around the beginning of the trail. Great spot though. Beautiful throughout and the waterfall serves as a great reward at the end!

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A favorite for my family. There are lots of places to.go off trail and explore, but take a plastic bag and pick up some garbage while you are there. Makes for a fun afternoon.