Scotts Gap Loop Trail

Scotts Gap Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Medora, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Few accents that will kick some tail. Elevation changes were just what I needed to get the heart pumping. Trail mileage felt much longer than listed.

The trail is off to the right of the parking lot towards the wooden board with trail info, markers start after a brief wooded section. This is a pretty tough trail to run, especially with a leashed dog due to the elevation changes and narrowness. I wish the trail had been marked better, I had the feeling it didn’t get much use. The ridge sections were nice, I just found the trail hard to follow under the fallen leaves. I prefer Siltstone or Coral Ridge.

Beautiful trail. A little more strenuous than it's moderate rating but definitely enjoyable. Will certainly be back.

Anyone know the story behind the old car in the back section of the loop?

This trail hits you hard right away, first couple hundred yards are straight uphill. After that nice trek through the woods. A lot of wildlife, bunch of deer and a couple turkeys. It's different than the other trails in the area, at times felt more like a game trail than hiking. which was quite enjoyable for me. Pretty narrow trails, challenging in spots, overall nice. Will go back.

Very strenuous. Nice hike. Views would be better after leaves have fallen.

moderate my ass, strenuous is more like it. Not for a beginner or like me out of shape. but when we got back to the car...it felt great! look i did that!

I like that this trail is not heavily trafficked and that it's a great workout. I usually only see deer and no people.

I combined this trail and the Siltstone for a training hike and found it to be a good challenge. Quiet with some nice views. The only issue I had was I did not find it as well marked as some of the comments say. There were not any other off shooting trails so, I just followed the path. This app is not accurate to the trail so maybe using one of the downloaded trails would work if this was a concern. If you go on a hot day, bring plenty of fluids. This little trail is a challenge!

Definitely deserves the moderate rating, it's very up and down. Nice and quite, only saw 1 other person and had a marvelous encounter with one of the local deer.

A beautiful trail, but too hard to be fun running, at least for me. Going counter-clockwise starts with a brutal climb, but then the trail....barely ever gives you a break. All uphill and downhill. I'll surely do it again as it is pretty, but it is beyond the capacity of most folks to "run" I feel.

My favorite trail in JMF. I enjoy the views along the ridge line going in early spring; later in the spring and early summer, views are obstructed by the tree leaves. Trail is difficult enough to be interesting (constant ups and downs) but not too difficult. The few times I've been out, I've seen only two people.