Rockcastle Narrows Trail

Rockcastle Narrows Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Somerset, Kentucky that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and walking.

Trial #401 Rockastle Narrows trailhead is at Bee Rock Campground, KY 192, and Forest Road 119. It connects with Sheltowee Trace.

Decided to hike this trail, thinking it was the trail to Van Hook Falls. Wrong. I was on the wrong side of the river! Anyways, I was about 2.5 Miles into the hike before realizing that information. So instead of turning around, I continued the trail through competition. The trail isn’t difficult until you turn left and head up the mountain. Then, I had to stop several times for a breath and a prayer! This is really only my second trail hike, and the first one was just two days ago! My complaint about this trail is that the markers need updated and the painted ones need fresh paint. There are a couple of spots totally not marked and had it not been for another couple on the trail, I would have gotten lost. It took me 3 hours of nearly continuous hiking to complete. I only stopped for a couple minutes at a time for a rest and then for some photos. The overlook was worth the effort and I would definitely hike this trail again.

Much better than the Rockcastle East Narrows Trail in Laurel County. Needs a side trail to the Narrows and a sign pointing to Bee Rock Overlook though.

Reviewing the Pulaski County side of this trail during the summer:

It's spider hell. You will run into a new spider web every few feet so keep that in mind. Entering the trail from the Bee Rock campground, the first half mile is ridiculously overgrown as it follows the river. As the trail splits from the river and moves closer to the ridge, the trail opens up into lush forests with an abundance of rockwork riddled all over the place.

This goes on for about two miles until you come to a fork. You can either go straight ahead on the trail or up an old gravel road on a steep incline that will take you to the #529 Bee Rock trail. I took the incline and it takes you to a road known on Google Maps as "Bee Rock Road". This is not marked at all mind you.

Take a left on the asphalt and you'll come to a farm at the road's end. take a right and look on the other side of the road for the trail to open back up. this will take you to the Bee Rock trail.

Happy hiking

This trail was supposed to be a loop. It ended up being a trail that had a ton of poison ivy and was poorly marked. The 5.6 mile trek turned into a 10 mile trek. The other 4.4 miles were spent being LOST! I got so off the trail that I ended up treking deep into the woods. As it turned out, I was following an animal trail for a while until the trail completely disappeared. I had to turn back around because I couldn't find where the trail led off too. Near the midpoint of my trip, I journeyed into a section of the woods that had recently just burned down. Of course the fire burned though some of the trail and couldn't find where the trail started up again. I was lost yet again. I also came upon a tree that was still burning from the fire. I couldn't do anything about it because I needed the rest of my water for my trek back. A day trip that was supposed to take 5 or 6 hrs turned into a 10hr trip. I was finally able to make my way back to my car by 10pm, in the dark, without a flashlight. I don't recommend this trail unless you want to get lost!

Great hike! this is an amazing trail to hike after the flowers start blooming! Plenty of big timber and boulders to look up at.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Good walking. Signage sparse in some sections.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Monday, August 15, 2016

Sunday, June 19, 2016

I took the trail from 192, very easy not that much uphill and very well marked, there was mud on the trail in a few places and you had to cross streams every now and then but overall a great Trail!

Thursday, January 07, 2016

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Thursday, April 02, 2015

one of my favorite day trails. have gotten slightly lost a few times because of confusion with markers. took friends and they lived it. great scenery and varied terrain. nice hike

Thursday, December 26, 2013

We hiked this trail in mid-December with no snow on the ground. Beautiful scenery and a rewarding overlook when you reach the top of the mountain.

We started at the #503 trailhead and came back out on the #529, which joins #503 near the overlook. The trail is easy until the last mile or so, when you leave the river and go uphill. The climb here is moderate to challenging depending on your fitness level.

The trail could be more clearly marked. Allow plenty of time for getting lost and finding your way again so you're not out after dark. When you're going up the hill you'll cross a gravel road; the trail continues straight across the road and #529 splits off to the left just before the overlook.

All in all, I'd say this could become one of your favorite trails in the area.

Sunday, August 25, 2013