Rockcastle Narrows Trail

Rockcastle Narrows Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Somerset, Kentucky. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and walking.

Trial #401 Rockastle Narrows trailhead is at Bee Rock Campground, KY 192, and Forest Road 119. It connects with Sheltowee Trace.

This trail was supposed to be a loop. It ended up being a trail that had a ton of poison ivy and was poorly marked. The 5.6 mile trek turned into a 10 mile trek. The other 4.4 miles were spent being LOST! I got so off the trail that I ended up treking deep into the woods. As it turned out, I was following an animal trail for a while until the trail completely disappeared. I had to turn back around because I couldn't find where the trail led off too. Near the midpoint of my trip, I journeyed into a section of the woods that had recently just burned down. Of course the fire burned though some of the trail and couldn't find where the trail started up again. I was lost yet again. I also came upon a tree that was still burning from the fire. I couldn't do anything about it because I needed the rest of my water for my trek back. A day trip that was supposed to take 5 or 6 hrs turned into a 10hr trip. I was finally able to make my way back to my car by 10pm, in the dark, without a flashlight. I don't recommend this trail unless you want to get lost!

Great hike! this is an amazing trail to hike after the flowers start blooming! Plenty of big timber and boulders to look up at.

Good walking. Signage sparse in some sections.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

I took the trail from 192, very easy not that much uphill and very well marked, there was mud on the trail in a few places and you had to cross streams every now and then but overall a great Trail!

Thursday, January 07, 2016

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Thursday, April 02, 2015

one of my favorite day trails. have gotten slightly lost a few times because of confusion with markers. took friends and they lived it. great scenery and varied terrain. nice hike

Thursday, December 26, 2013

We hiked this trail in mid-December with no snow on the ground. Beautiful scenery and a rewarding overlook when you reach the top of the mountain.

We started at the #503 trailhead and came back out on the #529, which joins #503 near the overlook. The trail is easy until the last mile or so, when you leave the river and go uphill. The climb here is moderate to challenging depending on your fitness level.

The trail could be more clearly marked. Allow plenty of time for getting lost and finding your way again so you're not out after dark. When you're going up the hill you'll cross a gravel road; the trail continues straight across the road and #529 splits off to the left just before the overlook.

All in all, I'd say this could become one of your favorite trails in the area.

Sunday, August 25, 2013