Learn more

Rock Bridge Trail Out and Back

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(194)
Clifty Wilderness

Rock Bridge Trail Out and Back is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Ridge, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 1.3 mi Elevation gain 252 ft Route type Out & Back
Dog friendly Kid friendly Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Running Forest Partially paved River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky
Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Rock Bridge Trail is one of the most scenic trails in Red River Gorge, including the arch (the "rock bridge") for which the trail is named, and a beautiful waterfall on the way to the arch. Highlights include rich vegetation, hiking alongside a creek for much of the the trail, a natural arch that actually spans the creek at the apex of the trail, a scenic waterfall, a small clearing for picnicing, and an access point to other trails in Red River Gorge. The trail is perfect in good weather, beautiful in all weather, but can be muddy/slippery in rain and snow. Trailhead located at the end of a 3 mile gravel road.

From Louisville, take I-64 East to Winchester, then Mountain Parkway East to Slade (exit 33). Take 15 East or South down to Pine Ridge, left on 715, and a little log-cabin ranger station, along with a sign, marks the gravel road to get to the trailhead.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (196)
Photos (597)
Recordings (90)
Completed (1097)
Chloe Price
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 18, 2020
Hiking

I loved this trail the most. Such a beautiful area. Wonderful waterfall. So peaceful. I was expecting it to be more crowded since we were there in the fall. But we did go very early in the morning. Maybe we beat the crowd.

Caitlynn Seymour
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 27, 2020
Hiking

Nice clean trail with some beautiful scenery.

Rhonda Quillian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 20, 2020
View Rhonda's Recording
Jessica Krogman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 1, 2020
Hiking

This is one of my favorite trials at RRG. My chihuahua loved it. Beautiful waterfall.

Esther Kim
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
Nature trips

Easy & beautiful

Jerrod Reid
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2020
Hiking

Nice trail, clean mountain water and sandy areas around the waterfall.

View Jerrod's Recording
Shannon B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 26, 2020
Hiking

A bit of a busy trail on the first weekend open. The sights were beautiful, but too many people

Shan Z
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 31, 2019
Hiking

Great trail last year, but Road closed this year.

Nancy Kinnaman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful trail and we were lucky with perfect weather in the 60° range. My daughter and I saw a copperhead below the falls. It was a perfect teaching moment as the snake stayed completely submerged other than an occasional breath at the surface. (venomous). He wanted nothing to do with us and vise versa but in such shallow water, he/she, was mesmerizing to watch. Sorry to go on the tangent but it was a great first hike in the Gorge for my daughter who was raised in the Rockies and at an altitude with no snakes like this. Snake or not, it's a beautiful trail with lots to see in such a short distance.

Lavonda Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2019
Hiking

My favorite spot n my dogs love it. I’ve been like 6 times since I’ve moved to area in like 3 months. Love it.

Luis Barron Rangel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2019
Hiking

sin dos mills divertidas. con subidas y bajadas

David Collins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2019
HikingRocky

A little crowded, but great rewards for such a short hike: an arch and a waterfall with a shallow pool to wade in.

View David's Recording
Dana Rogers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 15, 2019
Hiking

This is my number one trail to bring visitors too. There are shorter trails, but its the most bang for your buck in my opinion. Falls, an area to wade in, a creek, a rock bridge over the creek, climbable with a bit of scrambling and minor free climbing, at least one small overlook, a bench. And a nice line of trees. There isn’t a good place to camp on this trail, especially with privacy. I prefer to get there a different way than listed on here. From I64 Mountain Parkway, take exit 40 for KY-15/KY-715 Beatyville (0.3 miles.) Turn right, off the exit onto KY-15/KY-715 N (0.7 miles.) Take first right onto KY-715N (0.4miles). Passing Natural Bridge station on your right (a pit stop for a drink and hot dogs/climbing gear). Turn right onto Rock Bridge Rd. A gravel rd. (3.1 miles) go to the end of Rock Bridge Rd. And you’ll end at the trail head parking lot on a one way loop. The trail is a loop so, you can honestly take any side down and come out the other end.

Sue Williams-Leapfrog
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 7, 2019

Absolutely beautiful!

View Sue's Recording
Autumn Howard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 3, 2019
Hiking

My girlfriend and I hiked this trail today and were caught in the rain and were still very happy with our choice of trail for the day. Luckily we read some comments on here before we went, starting the loop counterclockwise seemed much easier than if we had went in the other direction. Rock Bridge itself is breathtaking; it’s definitely my favorite natural arch I’ve encountered. Creation Falls were perfect as well. I highly recommend this trail!!

Doug Neidholdt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 23, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful falls, nice little valley. It is a special scenic area, don't miss

Josiah Wolf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 29, 2019
Hiking

Really nice hike and the falls and bridge are both amazing! We went on a Thursday so it wasnt busy at all. Hiking out was a bit of a climb, so I would recommend what a lot of people have said and do the complete loop counterclockwise to make it a bit easier.

Honnaya King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 23, 2019
HikingPrivate property
View Honnaya's Recording
Will Witherington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2019
Hiking

Great trail for our first hike of the year! Rock Arch is really cool and the waterfall just past it is beautiful. Just before the waterfall and around a bend was one of the best rock skipping places my son and I have found. The loop is great but harder on the back side. We started at the bathrooms and made the loop... you could make it much easier if needed by down out and back.

Natisha Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 5, 2018
Hiking

My husband and I completed this hike on 11/3/18. Beautiful fall foliage, crowded place, limited parking, lots of doggies, and not a super easy hike. It's best if you go in and out on the same trail nearest to the bathrooms. The waterfall is gorgeous and the hike is beautiful. I would do it again. I wouldn't recommend going if it's rainy or snowy, it might get very slick.

Jennifer Riley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 15, 2018
Hiking

This place is beautiful! I will definitely be back! The walk down was very easy! The out a little bit more as all down/ups can be. So worth the hike! It was very crowded being the height of fall foliage. The water was surprisingly not as cold as expected! Oddly, most folks including my electrical devices froze and lost power trying to take pictures of Rock Bridge?!? Can not wait to go back in warm weather! Kids are welcome if you must... I love meeting the fur babies along the way(psst bring the doggies they’ll love it!)

Shannon Raines
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2018

There is an easy way and a hard way. To take the easier path, you drive around the loop in the parking area to the back side. There are 2 entrances to this trail and the one in the back was WAY easier for my parents, ages 66 and 68. We brought our 3 kids. Ages 2, 7, and 10 they did great. Waterfall is fantastic. Definitely worth the hike. The water was a bit low, which was awesome because we were able to climb down and walk around in it.

Eric Spruce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 7, 2018

Awesome, good climb.

Samantha A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2018
Hiking

Great hike to a gorgeous little waterfall. I’d rate it somewhere between easy and moderate. Will definitely go again!

RS Harris
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 21, 2018

My group of lady friends loved this trail! Beautiful forest views, lovely rock bridge with pool of water. Feels almost like a fairy tale walking through this landscape. Careful towards the end to not go off trail. We did and it got kinda rough and had to turn around. Look for your markers. I would do it again and I highly recommend.

Michelle Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2018

We did this trail with our children aged 3, 6 and 9. They did great and loved it. The waterfall is gorgeous and the splash pool and creek were very to nice to wade in. Gorgeous foliage.

LaShannon Spencer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2018
Hiking

It’s a 1.5 mile loop. Very family friendly. It’s pretty easy; I’m out of shape, but I survived well and would do it again. We did find that if you enter the trail and come back out from the entrances by the bathrooms, it is easier. The other entrance to the trail has a lot of steps. We started there, and looked around and did fine. But probably would have avoided the steps because of my youngest son, had we known. We had a 3 and a 4.5 year old with us, and they did amazing. Perfect kid friendly hike! All in all, great trail and beautiful scenery!

Tammy Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2018
Hiking

Trail was easy to follow and very scenic. GO EARLY to beat the crowd. The rock bridge and creation falls are beautiful!

Mahalla Kash
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2018

I highly recommend this trail. It's a nice trail for an afternoon hike after a long day at work! The falls are gorgeous!

Edie Call
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 19, 2018
Hiking

Lovely trail with a little bit of everything - beautiful subtropical, mountainside foliage, cardio elevation, rock walls, a cave, an arch, a river, a creek, and a the crown jewel, a waterfall. If you are a photog and want to get pics, don’t come on a weekend. My first visit was on a warm, Sunday, Spring afternoon and it was like Disneyland. If you prefer solitude or want to get pictures, then weekdays, early are good for you. Falls look great after some rain, and the splash pool is a great place to cool off. Nice picnic area and family friendly. My only complaint is the limited parking.