Resurgence Cave

Resurgence Cave is a 4.7 mile out and back trail located near McKee, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

this is one of my all time favorite short hikes. I love to wander past the resurgence (cave), down the creek. after reading some of the reviews, I can't believe some are saying they can't find the cave. The creek running out of the mountain at the bottom of the hill on the left IS the cave. it is not a big explorable cave, although the very karst landscape very well may contain some caving opportunities. The Sheltowee Trace Trail goes past the resurgence, across the creek from the cave. I hiked a mile or so of this trail and there was nothing really remarkable there.

For those interested, the alltrails.com website is a little devoid of information in regards to finding Resurgence Cave. The coordinates for Resurgence Cave are: N37.48591° W83.91051°.

We cheated and took the short route on or trip. We drove past the Turkey Foot Recreation Area along Forest Service Road 345. We drove approximately two miles to a trail the goes over the hill at the following coordinates: N37.48515° W83.90895°. We parked beside the road and walked down the trail a couple hundred feet to where it intersected with the Sheltowee Trace Trail (100), we took a left (North) on the Sheltowee. Just follow it down hill about a quarter of a mile and Resurgence Cave is on the left, it's easy to spot, it'll be the strange place were water is flowing out of the mountain.

Alternately, you could park at the Turkey Foot Recreation Area, and take the trail across Forest Service Road 345, it is the Turkey Foot/Sheltowee Connector (100b). Follow it up to the Sheltowee and make a right and walk to the coordinates listed for Resurgence Cave above. It would bit a bit over 4 miles round trip I'm guessing, since it parallels FS 345 much of the way.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

This was a wonderful trail. Maybe next time we will find the cave.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

We did not find the cave either but it was a nice hike for a sunshiny winter day.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

The trail was easy. A friend and I could not find the cave. Looking for the cave, we traveled a large amount off the trail and found ourselves with ticks on our pant legs. Better directions to the cave could have saved some time.