Red River Gorge: Rock Bridge Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(327)
Clifty Wilderness

Red River Gorge: Rock Bridge Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pine Ridge, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 311 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

partially paved

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Rock Bridge Trail is one of the most scenic trails in Red River Gorge, including the arch (the "rock bridge") for which the trail is named, and a beautiful waterfall on the way to the arch. Highlights include rich vegetation, hiking alongside a creek for much of the the trail, a natural arch that actually spans the creek at the apex of the trail, a scenic waterfall, a small clearing for picnicing, and an access point to other trails in Red River Gorge. The trail is perfect in good weather, beautiful in all weather, but can be muddy/slippery in rain and snow. Trailhead located at the end of a 3 mile gravel road.

Easy for most. Not too crowded early in the week.

Easy trail for most. Lots of people and dogs, the creeks are very nice a relaxing.

Favorite hike for my family and we frequent this one. However, the amount of people and the trash left behind on the trail today made me sick and very sad. I’ve never seen it like it was today. If hiking is new for you because Covid has shut the world down, PLEASE pick up after your self when you come to the trails that my family and I love and cherish. We don’t deserve nature and it’s beauty. Clean. Up.

So many people leaving their trash on the trail. So disappointing and annoying for those of us who regularly go hiking. People pick up after yourselves.

Far too crowded to recommend on a weekend. Easily a couple of hundred people playing in the creek.

Trail and parking very much open. Had a wonderful time today there with my two sons. Glad I went on a weekday. Not terribly crowded.

Awesome hike. You can play in the water at the rock bridge - great for young kids. There is also a natural arch. This trail is now open again. (Opened 5/22)

Was a nice and easy trail, but was veryyyy crowded!

Great trail! Kids loved it! The waterfall was very pretty and everyone enjoyed playing in the water!

Absolutely love this trail! Took my dog and the waterfall is amazing! Definitely coming back here! The last hike up is pretty steep but other than that is amazing!

Great trail! As mentioned before it’s steep coming in and going out. We went counterclockwise and it felt like the steepest part was coming back out. Great for the Glutes! It was rainy, so the trail was a little muddy in places, but still so much fun! The waterfall was amazing and the sandy beach area gave you a place to hang out right by the falls and you didn’t need water shoes in the water. It had very soft sand. Our son sat in the waterfall like a crazy person, lol. The water was chilly to walk barefoot in, much less sit under the water fall. We had lunch there and just enjoyed the day, then saw the arch just down from there. All in all a great trail and not hard to navigate. Will definitely go back!

This was awesome! The beginning and end of the loop is a little steep whichever way you come in but so worth it! We took 3 kids (6,8,9) and they had a blast in the waterfall! Bring some change of clothes for the kids and a towel would have been smart. Will definitely take this trail again! Waterfall was full!

Nice easy trail with lots to see along the way. It’s 1 of my favorites in the area.

Great trial. I noticed some reviews said that the road was closed, but it was open when I went with a group yesterday. Beautiful views and nice weather this time of year!

Should have read the comments sooner. Just arrived to find the road closed. Don’t want to do the six mile roundtrip hike with my aging pup to get to the easy 1.6 hike.

Just did this trail on Sunday, but didn’t plan for the main road to be closed at the beginning. If I had read these comments before, I may have changed my mind. My dog was with me and she didn’t seem to mind. I was wearing my water shoe Keens and those are definitely not the shoe to do a 8.10m hike. I do like this trail, but the walk to and from where I had to park was not enjoyable. Hope the road is open sooner than later

icy

Road closed total hike and road walk is about 9 miles

Trail was great only bad part was the road back to the parking area was closed to vehicle traffic but open for foot and bicycle traffic. Was about 2.5 miles from the closure to the trail head.

I’ve hiked this trail several times as it never disappoints.

closed
flooded

This is an awesome trail aside from as of 1/1/20 the road is closed. I opted to road hike to the falls, boring but achieved the goal. falls were roaring. Lots of washout and swampy conditions. There were signs of wildlife ( scat,poop, dung etc etc.....) but none to be seen.

Trail road is currently closed due to muddy conditions. One way is three miles to the entrance of this trail. Is allowed to be accessed only on foot or bike. 12/21/2019

Very neat rock bridge! The falls were nice and icy on this day, so there was a giant sheet of ice sitting on top of the creek just beyond the falls. We went around the loop counter clockwise, so all downhill first, and there are tons of cool outcroppings to explore and climb around on. The ascent back up will get the blood pumping but manageable, with some cool views of the valley that the falls sit in.