Raven Run Red Trail

Raven Run Red Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lexington, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Very nice trail. Make sure to do the white trails as well.

It was a good hike, not great. We did the entire red course and it was 4 Miles as opposed to the 5.5 listed on this app. We did spur off onto the white trail at times and if we had not, we’d have missed the waterfall (which was more like a water/rock feature with a small pool at the bottom). Easy access to cool off or take your shoes off to dip your feet! The over look was another highlight of the hike. Not too muddy, but there were spots that were along the route. I’d consider this a great place to hike with kids/family as you can take the blue or green trails back to the Nature Center at many points and shorten the length of this hike, which is the only thing I’d say might be difficult for beginners. The signage and available maps were wonderful! One of the best marked hikes we’ve been on. The drive back into Ravens Run was beautiful on our July morning!

No matter how many times we do this convenient trail, it always delights

We loved the red trail. The waterfall was amazing and the butterflies were basically swarming us at the waterfall. We didn't find the trail to be hard, but can be muddy and slick in areas. We saw a deer and turkey along the trail. Make sure to take the short white trails off the red as they lead to some cool things to see (waterfalls, mill, overlook, etc) and aren't very long, then you just hike them back to the red trails!!

All 5 miles were amazing.

great trail

muddy today!

Weather was great. Some parts of trail were almost to muddy to go through. Water in all the streams/creek was running, absolutely beautiful. A lot of people out today.

Good place close to Lexington. Good technical places, good hill work outs. Can run for hours just take multiple trails, best time is weekday mornings at 9am. Any other time watch for a lot of hikers and walkers.

Not a tough hike but plenty to see

Nice descent trek, with a pretty overlook.

The wife was visiting friends in Versailles and I was along for the ride. While in KY I thought I would give this a try.

I ran the "Red" trail, and although they do a good job marking the trails, there are a few places where many trails come together and intent is not clear.

No problem though as my "intent" was to get some trail running in and enjoy the scenery.

I thoroughly enjoyed this run. Especially the scenic overlooks. I did the Red trail clockwise, which I highly suggest doing. There is a very rocky (ankle-twisting) ascent after the overlook. I believe it is better to run that section as an ascent towards the end (when you are running slower) than to run it as a descent when your legs are fresh and you want to go fast.

Regardless, I look forward to opportunities to run this again when in the Lexington area.

We are new to hiking the Lexington area. This was a nice trail but would try other trails in the area before coming back to this one. It was nicely shaded & very well marked. However, in August the views were mostly just lush green forest - the scenic overlook was a brown slow-flowing Kentucky River. We heard a waterfall but couldn't see it. We arrived at 8:30 (park didn't open until 9 am). The only wildlife we saw that late in the morning were birds, a few squirrels, and LOTS of spiders. We were first on the trail, so there were many cobwebs with their creative spiders still working away. Be prepared! The trail was well maintained. It poured rain the night before, and while it was wet & a little muddy, it was not water covered. Overall a nice hike within 30 mins of Lexington. Moderate level of difficulty is on par. Wear hiking shoes with good soles (not sneakers) due to rocks & slick surfaces.

I've been to Raven Run many times, but this was the first trip I completed this trail and the White trail. It's a nice hike to be so close to home!

Plenty of trails to choose from, but it was a little busy for my liking.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

nice hike, take white trail off red to the old mill site for a icy cold dip in the creek!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Fun and well-travelled moderate trails.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Nice hiking trail. The small trails that shoot off from the main trail are worth exploring.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

I'm consistently surprised that Raven Run is a Lexington City park. It's one of the best city parks I've been too, if you're into hiking. The trails are short, but it is very convenient to town.
We go to Raven Run every year, in the spring, to see the wildflowers. This year they were fantastic, again. The trail to the overlook and grist mill were surrounded by a carpet of flowers.
Be aware that the trails close at 5:30. We forgot and had to cut our hike a bit short and only hiked four miles. There are certainly longer trails available.
I rated this hike as 4 stars, because of the crowds. If you're looking for solitude, Raven Run isn't your place, especially on the weekends. If you can go during a weekday or early in the morning, you might find yourself alone for a while.
The wildflowers really are amazing though.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Easy "hike" or minimally strenuous walk. This would have been more visually pleasing during the fall but in March the bare trees overlooking the mud-colored Kentucky River were a bit underwhelming. Trails all very well marked, and the drive to the Sanctuary is worth the trip on its own.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

best trail for all levels of hikers around Lexington. can do it all through the year. I have experienced both summer and winter hikes here.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Took my teenage daughter as her first hike. Good trail for beginner to get their feet wet.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Not too strenuous but crosses lots of different topography. Overlook at the Kentucky River not to be missed. Very accessible to Lexington.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

NO DOGS ALLOWED, BECAUSE THEIR PRESENCE WILL CHANGE THE PRESERVE...AS THE LITTLE GIRL FROM THERE EXPLAINED...I GUESS THERE ARE NO ANIMALS THERE THEN....DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND GAS COMING HERE

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Great hike!

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Awesome day awesome trails!!

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Beautiful trail. Allow time to look around and enjoy the scenery. Some places along the trail get very muddy and some spots are quite narrow. A few rocky areas, too.

Monday, July 25, 2016

great trail didn't do orange trail have to go back and do it

Monday, June 20, 2016

My favorite trail to run. Challenging & scenic! The red loop is about 4.5 miles and diverse in elevation and terrain. You can add another loop to make 5.5 miles by taking the orange trail. Deer, turkeys and many beautiful water features!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This is a great trail. You get an overlook, a water feature, and a decent amount of ups and downs to work up a sweat. Beautiful in all seasons.