Raven Run Red Trail

Raven Run Red Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lexington, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Nice descent trek, with a pretty overlook.

The wife was visiting friends in Versailles and I was along for the ride. While in KY I thought I would give this a try.

I ran the "Red" trail, and although they do a good job marking the trails, there are a few places where many trails come together and intent is not clear.

No problem though as my "intent" was to get some trail running in and enjoy the scenery.

I thoroughly enjoyed this run. Especially the scenic overlooks. I did the Red trail clockwise, which I highly suggest doing. There is a very rocky (ankle-twisting) ascent after the overlook. I believe it is better to run that section as an ascent towards the end (when you are running slower) than to run it as a descent when your legs are fresh and you want to go fast.

Regardless, I look forward to opportunities to run this again when in the Lexington area.

We are new to hiking the Lexington area. This was a nice trail but would try other trails in the area before coming back to this one. It was nicely shaded & very well marked. However, in August the views were mostly just lush green forest - the scenic overlook was a brown slow-flowing Kentucky River. We heard a waterfall but couldn't see it. We arrived at 8:30 (park didn't open until 9 am). The only wildlife we saw that late in the morning were birds, a few squirrels, and LOTS of spiders. We were first on the trail, so there were many cobwebs with their creative spiders still working away. Be prepared! The trail was well maintained. It poured rain the night before, and while it was wet & a little muddy, it was not water covered. Overall a nice hike within 30 mins of Lexington. Moderate level of difficulty is on par. Wear hiking shoes with good soles (not sneakers) due to rocks & slick surfaces.

I've been to Raven Run many times, but this was the first trip I completed this trail and the White trail. It's a nice hike to be so close to home!

Plenty of trails to choose from, but it was a little busy for my liking.