Purple Heart Trail

Purple Heart Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairdale, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I like this hike a lot. But I got freaked out last week because I heard gunshots. Several and one after another. I know nothing about guns, but the shots fired sounded like the machine guns I play on my PlayStation. So, not just rifles or a shot gun. Is there a gun range around this area? Kind of scary hearing gun shots coming out of nowhere. MAYbe they were further than I thought and just seemed close. I mean. I want to return, but not if some kids are out there messing around or people shooting unauthorized and unprotected. I am ok if it's just a nearby shooting range. Then I know it's well secured. Well, I hope someone replies, cuz I would like to know.

This is a trail that will get your heart rate up if you keep a steady pace! The elevation change is what i like most about this trail, not to mention some of the ridges that run through it. Overall this is a well kept trail and mediocre scenery along the way, i would recommend this trail for everyone!

A good trail to get the kid pumping....hope to be back soon

Excellent hike among the woods!

I'm not a frequent hiker, but I found this a great post-work escape. I completed the circuit in just about an hour, and for the most part it was easy going. What qualifies this as a "hard" route are the several particularly steep points, but I'd say over half of the route you are walking along fairly smoothly. I scavenged a fallen branch for a walking stick and was glad to have it on the hills.

Dirt all the way, so I would not recommend hiking after rain. When navigating the inclines you are either among tangled tree roots or balancing over an erosion gully. Tennis shoes did fine, but I would have liked some slightly sturdier shoes.

There are never any clearings nor points where you get much of a view (the only reason I give this 4 stars instead of 5), but the ridgetops are still sunny without being hot, and the wind in the trees is wonderful. The times you are in the bottom valley, you are in deep dark woods and the smell of the earth is rich and heavy.

Lots of frogs jumping out of your way, butterflies and regular flies, birdsongs, distant motorcycle rumbles, the occasional planes flying overhead, coyote tracks in the mud, and spider webs which are easily cleared with the aforementioned walking stick.

for a short hike this was nice and lived up to its rating/ difficult

The coolest short loop ive found at jefferson memorial. The knobs, the overlooks, couldn't ask for more

My favorite short but tough hike in Jefferson Memorial. Take the Tulip Tree paved path to the end and then up the hill to add a little length and a serious climb to your trip.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Monday, September 05, 2016

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Great beginner trail for kids with nice hills

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

I really enjoyed this one. Nice elevation changes and pretty diverse views. Found 4 Geocaches near the trails. Lots of frogs and some lizards.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Monday, April 04, 2016

great views bathrooms locked

Monday, April 04, 2016

Awesome trail. Went with 2 dogs, great breaks in the hilly landscape, awesome views, good physical activity and easy parking / Park site, with picnic tables near entrance. Clear trail markers.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Loved this winter hike. The trees were bare so the vistas were breathtaking. There were leaves over mud, so parts of the trail were pretty slippery.