Purple Heart Trail

Purple Heart Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairdale, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Some moderate to steep climbs. A few very muddy spots. Overall was very peaceful, with some great views of Tom Wallace Lake. Enjoyed this trail and will Hike/Run on it again.

Went after rain, very muddy. Gorgeous views especially with all the leaves off the trees.

This is a great loop of you just need to get outside for a bit! Had to shed a few layers—there’s some good, steep hills involved in this one. This trail connects to others so you can make it longer if you want. When I went it was cold and peaceful. Nobody else on the trail!

Lots of leaves on the trail. Great views

Nice views while hiking in late fall.

I like this hike a lot. But I got freaked out last week because I heard gunshots. Several and one after another. I know nothing about guns, but the shots fired sounded like the machine guns I play on my PlayStation. So, not just rifles or a shot gun. Is there a gun range around this area? Kind of scary hearing gun shots coming out of nowhere. MAYbe they were further than I thought and just seemed close. I mean. I want to return, but not if some kids are out there messing around or people shooting unauthorized and unprotected. I am ok if it's just a nearby shooting range. Then I know it's well secured. Well, I hope someone replies, cuz I would like to know.

This is a trail that will get your heart rate up if you keep a steady pace! The elevation change is what i like most about this trail, not to mention some of the ridges that run through it. Overall this is a well kept trail and mediocre scenery along the way, i would recommend this trail for everyone!

A good trail to get the kid pumping....hope to be back soon

Excellent hike among the woods!

I'm not a frequent hiker, but I found this a great post-work escape. I completed the circuit in just about an hour, and for the most part it was easy going. What qualifies this as a "hard" route are the several particularly steep points, but I'd say over half of the route you are walking along fairly smoothly. I scavenged a fallen branch for a walking stick and was glad to have it on the hills.

Dirt all the way, so I would not recommend hiking after rain. When navigating the inclines you are either among tangled tree roots or balancing over an erosion gully. Tennis shoes did fine, but I would have liked some slightly sturdier shoes.

There are never any clearings nor points where you get much of a view (the only reason I give this 4 stars instead of 5), but the ridgetops are still sunny without being hot, and the wind in the trees is wonderful. The times you are in the bottom valley, you are in deep dark woods and the smell of the earth is rich and heavy.

Lots of frogs jumping out of your way, butterflies and regular flies, birdsongs, distant motorcycle rumbles, the occasional planes flying overhead, coyote tracks in the mud, and spider webs which are easily cleared with the aforementioned walking stick.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

for a short hike this was nice and lived up to its rating/ difficult

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The coolest short loop ive found at jefferson memorial. The knobs, the overlooks, couldn't ask for more

Saturday, March 18, 2017

My favorite short but tough hike in Jefferson Memorial. Take the Tulip Tree paved path to the end and then up the hill to add a little length and a serious climb to your trip.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Great beginner trail for kids with nice hills

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

I really enjoyed this one. Nice elevation changes and pretty diverse views. Found 4 Geocaches near the trails. Lots of frogs and some lizards.

Monday, April 04, 2016

great views bathrooms locked

Monday, April 04, 2016

Awesome trail. Went with 2 dogs, great breaks in the hilly landscape, awesome views, good physical activity and easy parking / Park site, with picnic tables near entrance. Clear trail markers.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Loved this winter hike. The trees were bare so the vistas were breathtaking. There were leaves over mud, so parts of the trail were pretty slippery.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Jesse is right-this is a great fall hike, probably my third favorite hike in JMF.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Great hike. Lots of elevation change, with some good views. Views were somewhat obstructed due to the trees but still good. A fall hike would be great here.

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Great trail and really not that difficult since you get to walk level a lot. Lots of water across trail today!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Short loop. One pretty good climb to the top, then a pretty easy hike after that. Like the other reviewer said, this one is good to add if you're doing multiple trails in JMF, or maybe to do the loop each way. And like all the JMF trails, it's always well-kept and well marked.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Combining this short loop along with others can make for a very scenic day. Trails are well marked in JMF.