Princess Falls via Sheltowee Trace Trail

Princess Falls via Sheltowee Trace Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Whitley City, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 95 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The current condition (post storms) of this trail makes it more moderate than easy. A lot of fallen trees to maneuver around and spongy/muddy ground for the first half. I recommend hiking/tennis shoes. There are beautiful views of rivers, creeks, and waterfalls. It’s mostly shaded. The trail can get rocky/uneven. The payoff however is worth the effort! Beautiful serene waterfall / swimming hole at the end.

Recent storms have brought down trees in several points along the trail making it tough for some children or older hikers. Trail isn't marked well either but it's worth the effort.

easy trail with a great falls

Shaded the entire out and back in the morning. Some muddy spots but this is a very wet season. Falls are very interesting. Several smaller falls on the trip.

I hated this trail. The mud was terrible and I almost fell couple times. I wish I had trek pokes. Not much scenery and the falls where just ok. Lot better falls in area such as yahoo falls with better scenery. I was glad when this hike was over. My shoes are are a mess now from this hike.

Beautiful falls, and fairly easy hike for most.

We love this hike! Easy for the whole family and lots of fun space to play around and in the water! Love the hike itself and all the smaller falls along the way.

Suggest parking in the first lot off SR92 (do not cross back under SR92). There are no signs for Princess Falls, just fallow Sheltowee Trace and you will come to it. Path is very muddy in several locations and trekking poles were very handy. The Falls are wonderful and well worth the short walk.

Beautiful trail, very easy. Almost no elevation change, and pretty short. Some mud, but not awful. The falls are gorgeous and lots of smaller falls around. I would advise caution with children or dogs, as we heard a bear bellowing pretty close. From the tracks it was a sow and her cubs. We stayed on the trail and never actually saw them. Keep bear spray and dogs on a leash! Overall a great hike.

Great trail. Worth the hike. It is muddy. Be sure to take the upper trail. Via sheltowee trace trail.

Went today 4-13-19. went to the lower parking lot first. Ankle deep mud until wet hot the Sheltowee Trace connector. When we came out we followed the trace all the way back to the upper parking lot. Mud was fun but, wish we had taken the upper trail both ways. Everyone enjoyed it though.

So muddy but that made my toddler even happier. Gorgeous trail and you can see lick creek falls too!

Awesome easy trail. Super muddy!

it was amazing. thats all i got to say haha

We started in the lower parking lot so we ended up taking a very muddy and quite boggy trail until we reached the connection to Sheltowee trail. The first “parking” area is where the trail head is. I received my completion badge for this trail .4 miles before the waterfall appeared. It is a roaring waterfall during rainfall. We had full rain gear on and this short trail was a ton of fun with three creek crossings and many fallen trees.

This is a fairly easy trail, and it is very beautiful. I went after lots of rain, so the falls was very big and full. There are also many beautiful mini-waterfalls along the way

My daughter and I enjoyed the nice easy stroll. This trail has nice little water falls and you could swim in the river off a big rock. We enjoyed it!

Over all good trail, easily marked and only some small elevation changes. beautiful falls at the end. It rained on and off for two days before my trip. Great flow and amazing sound.

It was a great hike. Fairly easy for the experienced. Enjoyed the mini falls to the right of the trail on the way to princess falls. The only thing I wish was different was the amount of trash that we found on the trail. Overall I really enjoyed it and would go back. Very beautiful!

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Staid the night next to the falls!!! Was one of the best night sleeps on a trail I’ve had!!!