Pilot Knob Trail

Pilot Knob Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Clay City, Kentucky that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Great hike to a good view. Good distance if you add Spruce Loop. Keep an eye out for trail re entry off the gravel road on Spruce. It's right at the start of the steep descent (we missed it).

The hike up was a little steep but the view was totally work it

Ran this trail recently. The view at the top is definitely worth the trip. A few concerns: metal rebar sticks out of the ground a couple inches in some parts of the trail. It's difficult to see and would be easy to trip on. Also, once you turn off the sage trail onto the gravel road, it is easy to miss the turn back into the woods as someone else posted.
Still, it was a nice run with a few challenges.

Nice view at the top

Stupendous hike! Frogs aplenty.

Nice short trail, and very beautiful! it was a well marked trail and easy to find. It's definitely worth the hike up Pilot's Knob!

This is an amazing hike! One of my favorites actually. It's up hill most of the way and the view at the top is beautiful!

Pilot Knob is well marked, the view at the top is nothing less than amazing and deserves all 5 stars, but the section of the Sage Loop Trail that comes out on the gravel road and back in can be easy to miss. While our group was busy hiking downhill on the gravel road we completely missed where the trail enters back into the woods. About a mile later we figured it out when we encountered private property signs and had to back track back up to find the trail. Once back on the trail, everything was clearly marked the rest of the way.

The view alone makes it 4 Stars for me. I will say, this is a very steep climb/run but the view at the top is well worth the trek. The backside of the trail especially the last couple of miles are pretty plain and grassy. I would give it 3 stars but I would definitely do it again for the view but I don't think I would run the full circle. Honestly, just hiking or running up and coming back down is well worth it! Happy Exploring!

Great work out! The climb to the top felt long but it was worth the view!! We then did the full hike around and were tired afterwards. I would go back many times if I lived closer! I was visiting for the week from Pittsburgh, PA and this was better than Raven Run near Lexington by far!