Pilot Knob Trail

Pilot Knob Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clay City, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,240 feet Route Type: Loop

Great workout! Plenty of upward climb! I recommend if you're doing the loop and not just an out & back, you take the right where the split for the loop begins and go down that hill towards the creek. You'll do most of the hiking before being rewarded with the great view towards the end of the hike. It's better motivation than seeing the view first and then all the wooded, hilly hiking. The trail is pretty well marked with white or red paint on trees. When doing the loop keep an eye out for that as leaves begin covering the less traveled trail. Also, when you reach the gravel road pay extra attention when looking for the reentry onto the trail. Both spots are marked with a sign, but can be easily missed if you aren't aware of where they are. Watch for rebar sticking up on parts of the trail anywhere near the lookout point and going down the hill from it. Due to erosion wood steps have disappeared, but the rebar is still there and sometimes hidden under the leaves. *when at the lookout, you can see Lexington's tallest buildings to the far right* Enjoy!!!

Great work out trail with a great view at the end!

Perfect way to spend #nationalgetoutsideday

3 out of my 4 trips here I've seen snakes. One was pretty big. The others, hardly worth calling a snake. Beautiful trail, keeps things interesting.

this trail is towards the upper end of moderate. could use some maintenance. view from the top is worth double the exertion to reach it.

Did the entire loop. A little harder than we thought. The trail momentarily veers off onto a gravel road. Watch closely for marked entrance back onto trail. We missed it and had to walk back up gravel hill.

Very nice trail. Several trees blocking the trail and it could use a bit more maintenance. A very good workout with a great view from the top. There are several unmarked trails which we took by mistake since this was our first time there. We will likely try it again sometime.

Absolutely phenomenal view!! But it definitely makes you work for it lol. Beautiful trail definitely is my favorite right now! However be VERY CAREFUL of the path!! There are several downed trees, overgrown paths, slippery hidden slopes, and the path disappears due to nature. It’s veryyyy hard to tell what is a part of the path and what isn’t. I got caught towards the end with 1 mile to go at night due to the path just being NONEXISTENT. I would definitely not recommend for kids also! Can’t take a star away for Mother Nature doing her job :) great hike but again please be careful! There are pitfalls, lack of trail markings where you need them most, and it can just get very dangerous. It’s all smooth to the top of the cliff, after that it’s all downhill from there.....論

Beautiful trail. To the left, really hilly then on the way down and continuing with the rest of the trail it's very relaxing. Other than the snakes. That's not very relaxing.

Definitely a trail, AND VIEW, I would recommend to others. Low traffic, no competition on the trail. Did not do the “loop trail”, rather went up and down a couple times to the overlook. Decent level of difficulty and challenge; pretty well marked. Going down is quite a relief and, for me, re-energized me to go back up.

Great hike! I would consider it an advanced moderate. It is all up hill, but well worth the view once you get to the top. Watch the poison ivy on the trail.

This is the hardest "moderate" trail I've done but is so rewarding. There are a few places where you'll need to be attentive to trail markers but is mostly well marked and the overlook is fantastic. Hike this trail!

lots of cris-crossing trails + tree down on the trail was slightly confusing. stay to the left and keep going uphill to see the view on top of pilot knob

amazing view from the top. we had so much fun going up this trail.

This is a great little hike if you just have a few hours. The trails are fairly well maintained: a few branches down in the path but other than that the signage is good and the trail itself is well marked. The view at the top is great!

What an awesome view from the top. It was fairly muddy as we hiked the trail at the end of January. Be careful of rebar at some points on the trail. The world's friendliest dog lead us the entire way to the top and back down again. He and another dog live at the last house on the right before the parking lot.

Because there was a lot of snow and ice on the trails, we hiked directly to the top rather than the loop trail. Views at the lookout area were awesome today. It was clear and a cover of snow enhanced the contours of land that we could see. It was beautiful and emphasized the differences in Kentucky topography. We took the .85 mile side trail, Millstone Quarry on the return trip.

It was a fun hike and beautiful at the top! A little muddy right now, but we had a blast. When you start, there are 2 options. The left (Oscar Geralds Jr Trail) goes to the top, then you can look back down another way. It makes sense if you follow the well-marked trail. You can always check yourself in this app.

Went with my nephew and we had a great time! A lot of up hill hiking. beautiful view though. I'm sure it's gorgeous in the summer and fall. I was nervous when we first pulled up because it looked like we were going to someone's house at first. Then when you reach the end of the road you can see a small little sign.