Pilot Knob Trail

Pilot Knob Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clay City, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

It was pouring rain before our hike, but it slacked off to a light sprinkle while we made our way to the top. The view was incredible! The fog and mist from the rain made for a beautiful view.

Well maintained and clean trail with great views at the top. Wide variety of plants and fungi along the way. A pleasant dog that lives nearby decided to join us on the hike but they are not typically permitted as it is a state nature preserve.

Great trail. Well marked and shade almost the whole way. Beautiful outlooks. You can see for miles at the top. My son and I really enjoyed ourselves this morning.

Beautiful! I forgot my hiking books and was abke to do this trail in sandals. W didn't see a waterfall. I'm not sure if we missed it or if that is a mistake in the description. Either way, it was an amazing hike with breathtaking views! We relaxed and did yoga at the top for quite some time, enjoying the mountainous scenery and sunshine!
I would like to remind folks that this is a nature preserve. You aren't allowed to bring your dogs so please don't! I love hiking with my doggie and there are loads of trails where dogs are allowed.

The ascension certainly earns the rightful title of pilot knob. Along with what most are saying, it’s a tough incline but glorious, sweeping views await you at the top. Stay in the middle of the path, as poison ivy forms a phalanx on both sides.

Best kept secret in Powell county/RRG. Not a dog trail. not a kid trail, teenager approved for sure. Clear trail, stay in the middle as poison ivy to the left and to the right. Steep climb was invigorating, mt.bikes cannot handle the elevation climb. My son has hit most of RRG and "invigorating" was his observation. Please take care of the trail, we did not see any trash, u can tell anyone that finds this trail can share some cool stories

Great trail run! Secluded and well-maintained. Holy elevation, Batman!! Can’t wait to see those spectacular views again!

Amazing view from the overlook!

The hike up to the overlook is definitely worth the soreness. Breathtaking views.

Great view of surrounding cities, Wow! Left me speechless after sunset.

Creek crossing was a bit rough due to the rain, but the trail is in good shape and well marked. View from the top is great

The view is spectacular! Very little traffic. We passed one trail runner. Had the top to ourselves and enjoyed a snack there.

Very fun and great view! The drive there was a bit sketchy. The walk was pretty intense for someone who’s in medium level of shape, but the workout was well worth it for the studying view

Great trail. Clean, quiet, only passed a couple people. Seemed to be well marked but at one point I did end up on the sage trail and took the long wait around up to the look out, but wasn't bad. Passed over a creek that was super pretty and a great spot for a my dog to take a break and swim. The view at the actual look out is absolutely breathtaking. The hike itself is on the higher end of moderate. Defiantly had my legs aching by the end. The road out there is not marked at all, you just end up at a dead end where there's a very small parking lot and small sign.

I hiked the Pilot Knob trail on Sunday. The trail was amazing, with A LOT of inclines. But well worth it. I did take the Sage Point trail and ended up at the gravel road. Apparently there is a WELL hidden re-entrance that I did miss. I ended up behind someone's yard at a red gate. I had to call the police station for a ride back to my car that was 8 MILES away from me. Be VERY careful when you go onto Sage Point trail. Overall, it was a decent hike.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Quite a trek, but absolutely worth the views! I must also mention as someone else has that there are metal rebar sticking out of the ground everywhere. They are hard to see too and easy to trip on! As like a few have mentioned I missed the reentry of the trail on the gravel road as well!
I will definitely go back!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Great hike to a good view. Good distance if you add Spruce Loop. Keep an eye out for trail re entry off the gravel road on Spruce. It's right at the start of the steep descent (we missed it).

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The hike up was a little steep but the view was totally work it

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Ran this trail recently. The view at the top is definitely worth the trip. A few concerns: metal rebar sticks out of the ground a couple inches in some parts of the trail. It's difficult to see and would be easy to trip on. Also, once you turn off the sage trail onto the gravel road, it is easy to miss the turn back into the woods as someone else posted.
Still, it was a nice run with a few challenges.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Nice view at the top

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Stupendous hike! Frogs aplenty.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Nice short trail, and very beautiful! it was a well marked trail and easy to find. It's definitely worth the hike up Pilot's Knob!

Monday, May 01, 2017

This is an amazing hike! One of my favorites actually. It's up hill most of the way and the view at the top is beautiful!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Pilot Knob is well marked, the view at the top is nothing less than amazing and deserves all 5 stars, but the section of the Sage Loop Trail that comes out on the gravel road and back in can be easy to miss. While our group was busy hiking downhill on the gravel road we completely missed where the trail enters back into the woods. About a mile later we figured it out when we encountered private property signs and had to back track back up to find the trail. Once back on the trail, everything was clearly marked the rest of the way.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The view alone makes it 4 Stars for me. I will say, this is a very steep climb/run but the view at the top is well worth the trek. The backside of the trail especially the last couple of miles are pretty plain and grassy. I would give it 3 stars but I would definitely do it again for the view but I don't think I would run the full circle. Honestly, just hiking or running up and coming back down is well worth it! Happy Exploring!

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Great work out! The climb to the top felt long but it was worth the view!! We then did the full hike around and were tired afterwards. I would go back many times if I lived closer! I was visiting for the week from Pittsburgh, PA and this was better than Raven Run near Lexington by far!

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Great trail. Well marked, great workout. Awesome view at the top!! We could see the 5/3 building in Lexington!!!

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Terrific workout, terrific overlook!!

Sunday, February 05, 2017

favorite go to home close to Lexington

Sunday, January 29, 2017

The view up top is what gives it 4 stars. Amazing view and cool rock formations. Otherwise it was pretty meh. Might be better when more foliage