Overstreet Falls

Overstreet Falls is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wilmore, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

cave

This is a great walk but it can be very dangerous if one is not cautious. This trail heads down a dry creek bed to a cool plateau which has the best view of the falls. The top of the plateau has 3 foot deep rock fishers throughout the very flat area on top. This is a great place for a picnic. When you have had your fill of the plateau then head around to left as your going back down the small scramble and walk around the rocky hill to Jessamine Creek. You soon will come to Overstreet falls and you will then cross the smaller creek below the falls and head up a rocky scramble toward the falls until you reach a well defined trail. Head to the right, away from the falls, and in about a 1/8 of a mile you will come to a very impressive rock house equipped with a very large cave system. Caution: You are not allowed in the cave area April through October because of the endangered Gray Bat. After you have had your fill of this head back to the falls on the trail you came in on. The falls are most impressive. After you have had enough of the falls follow the trail which runs behind the falls, you will get a tad wet if they are going good. When it has been dry for a while the falls are dry, but when it there is a wet season it is a sight to behold. Follow the trail as it turns into a couple pretty good scrambles. This spot is very dangerous when icy or wet. You soon will find yourself at the top of the falls. There is a cool rock structure to the left of the falls if you are looking over them. If you are ready to head home, follow the creek bed to the bridge. This stretch of creek is fabulous especially when active. Take a left at the bridge and you are back on the main trail about a 1/4 mile from the trail head!

Me and my husband went there yesterday it was so pretty loved the hike but we never did find the waterfall does anyone actually know where the water fall is we walked all the way to the loop and still couldn’t find it.

this place is beautiful. Plenty to see and a little challenging in spots.

Great trail easy to get to. Not so easy to find the way down to bottom of falls. If you are looking off the falls go to the right to find your way down.

I didn't like this place, it seems more like a teen hang out than a nature preserve. Went hiking and saw teens swimming and smoking pot. They were throwing trash everywhere. I will not be going back. No dogs allowed but there was dog poop everywhere. They need to monitor this place. It would be a great place if not for all the pot smoking teens. Will not be back.

The trail was mainly dry; however, the, often steep and sometimes slippery trail is offset by fantastic creekbed falls/scenery. I definitely would not recommend, when wet.

It is a simple hike if you find yourself to be a physically active person. You just need to keep kids close when walking down the steep area. I probably would exercise caution if conditions were icy &/or muddy.

It is a great view of the fall though. It is so close to Lexington too. It is great. I am coming back for sure.

Great views. A few tough spots. I would rate this moderate to hard in certain areas depending on how you go down. Recommend as superior on cool hikes. Love it.

The main trail is very easy and suitable for all ages.

The hike along the creek is awesome, but it is a little tricky in places. Great views of smaller, cascading falls leading to the main waterfall and views of the gorge. I didn't take the trail down the side of the cliff to the bottom of the falls, because I didn't quite feel prepared, but I will go back next time better equipped.

I would definitely consider this a hidden gem for the area. If you enjoy the sights and sounds of a beautiful stream, cool rock formations and the feeling of being lost in nature, but yet being only minutes from civilization, this is the place to go!

Beautiful walk with a blooming green spring and gushing waters thru the creek beds - April 2018

After my first trip here I was disappointed because it had rained a lot recently so it was very wet and I was hesitant to venture down to the creek and see the waterfalls. but after today I loved this place. Hiked along the creek starting right at the bridge and made it to the main waterfall which was unbelievable. The decline to the bottom was definitely dangerous and very steep. my dog made the trek with me and required to be picked up and helped out a few times. But the view and spectacle of the giant waterfall and hiking up to the cave was definitely worth it all.

Beautiful, but keep kids away from top of the falls. Best views in Winter

Absolutely beautiful! Once you get to the bridge, you can go up for a easier field hike, or go down and hike the creek bottom. The perfect go-to for a couple hours of peace.

The water levels were higher than normal, so the falls were amazing, especially making the scramble to the bottom of the falls for the best view. Was definitely slick and a technical ascent/descent.

NEVER-NEVER LAND!

Close enough to Lexington to get hiking in, see waterfalls and explore. The trail to lower waterfalls near river could be marked better.

very nice trail. I went 2/26/18 after a few weeks of heavy rains. I wasn't able to make it down to the big falls because of the volume of water flowing down the creek. it was much more of a rushing river than a dry creek bed today, but it made for great pictures and scenery. I would rate the majority of the trail easy, but the part that followed the stream was more difficult, especially with the high water levels today.

main path is very simple and easy. hiking down the creek bed was a little challenging we went after a snow so there was some ice. made it to the mouth of the waterfall but haven't hiked all the way down to the bottom yet! gorgeous views

The normal trail, with a loop at the end, is very easy, mild down hill to the bridge. Decent views but not amazing. Short and simple. The hike to the actual waterfalls is totally unmarked. You can slide down the bank from the trail or near the bridge there’s a spot to get down to the creek bed. You then just hike a couple miles down. There’s several small water calls along the way. Deep holes to swim. I went after a rain, the creek bank was a mess, nothing but mud. I couldn’t get any traction. Very difficult in a lot of spots. Luckily I had my water proof rain pants in my bag, so I put those on when I started sliding around and it was easier to just sit down and slide on my rear in a lot of places. Top of the falls are very pretty. Going town the side was very very hard. Again. I pretty much slide down 50 feet on my rear but worth it to see the falls from The bottom. Going back up was horrible. Took me a little while because of the mud. No traction. Not a lot of places to hold on. Crawling on my hands and knees. Walking back up the creek was the same. Flat spots were fine. When the water got to deep in others I had to go back up omg he bank and it’s hard to start on with the mud. My arms are super sore today, Monday, due to a lot of climbing and pulling myself around. But the hike was great. Don’t take kids down to the falls. Experienced hikers and sure footed people only. I took my dog who I would consider an experienced hiker herself and she did fine. Don’t take small dogs, or dogs that can get around or through water. There’s hardly a trail to stay on.

Nice afternoon hike coming from Lexington. Pack a lunch and stop in at some picnic tables about an hour in the hike. After a rain the stream is beautiful!

litty

A bit difficult to find(made a couple wrong turns). Parking is VERY limited and road almost too narrow. Trail is fairly well marked and not difficult. Falls are hard to view without "sliding" down steep bank. A few late summer wildflowers to see. VERY crowded as it was Labor day. Plan on returning on a week day when should be less congested and more quiet. Some folks had very young children/babies. I would not attempt with very little ones.

Its a careful balance to find a day with recent-ish rain so the falls will be flowing, but not so soon/heavy that the creek bed you have yo rock hope through is too high, or the super steep (straight down) portion from the creek bed down to the falls isnt complete slosh and mud. calling this trail a loop is a bit mislead, as you still back track for most of the trail on the return. Still, the falls are beautiful if you can get to them! Would NOT bring a dog or small children. Suggest wearing chaco or waterproof boots.

Pretty steep hike down to the falls off the cliff side. Little too much for me. Especially when the waterfall was completely dried up. That trail down the cliff side is no joke.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see everything great that was in the photos posted. All is dried up due to no rain. I may go back after a considerable amount of rain.

This trail is absolutely beautiful. It's a little bit of a drive down a very narrow path, but totally with it.

Loved this trail. I went when it was 95° with a heat index of 105° which wasn't the best idea because the climb back up from the bottom of the falls will make you run thru some H2O. I suggest plenty of water on warm days and good hiking shoes when going to the falls. Will definitely be going back soon!

this is by far my most favorite place to hike...through the creek. the regular trail is not hard. however I have not been brave enough to shimmy down the Cliffside to see the big falls!

A nice short trail which is a nice summer trail for tree lovers but for viewing the Gorge and river valley, late fall, winter, or early spring is best when the leaves are down.
The unofficial trail down through the Gorge itself is somewhat dangerous but awesome! Not for everyone; no elderly, children, or faint of heart, but worth it to the able bodied to hike.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

We really enjoyed this hike. After walking the loop trail we walked down the creek to the top of the falls. Then up a path to the left of the falls if looking off. The path was a little treacherous because it had rained several days before and was slick. I'm not sure where the "1970's" trail is located but didn't see any signs. There was a trail across the top of falls on the right side so not sure if this is the one that leads the below the falls. I would appreciate any help on where the location of the trail to below the falls is located.