Original Natural Bridge Trail

Original Natural Bridge Trail is a 1.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Slade, Kentucky that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 406 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Quick and easy. If you just want to see the bridge, this is the way to go.

Definitely steep but beautiful! Wish it were dog friendly

Rewarding trail in it's own way. Not for wilderness and solitude seekers as it is a heavily used and improved SP trail. it is gravel paved the whole run up outside of wooden or stone stair cases. It is a steep climb so don't be fooled by the very short mileage to the top. Informational signs along the way describe the history of limited selective logging so it is a mostly undisturbed old growth area as well as to point out CCC projects, wildlife information and other historic notes. Since my last trip there about a year ago I'll note there were several guard rails that are severely weakened and some trail erosion due to all the rain early this year. Very impressive views from on top of Natural Bridge and after a short, easy walk along Laurel Ridge trail past the ski lift you get a view of the whole bridge across the way.

I recommend this trail for families of all ages! Our ages (53,37,12,10, and 7) we all enjoyed it. I would consider us beginners and it was fairly easy. Seems steep, a few steps, but totally worth it! I’ve been several times and I feel the best and easiest time to go is early morning.

Easy trail with beautiful views.

beautiful

Great trail. Not very strenuous, steep in a couple places but not too bad. Gravel for the majority of the trail.

Beautiful quick hike with Aunt Jackie. Sweet little climb. Brings you right up to arch. Great view from the top of the natural bridge.

Great trail. Very easy. Beautiful view of natural bridge.

Amazing views! One of my favorites ❤️

I’ve never been on a trail that was this short with such an amazing view! Definitely recommend.

Very easy, great for all ages.

Good hike with an amazing view at the top of the bridge.

This was my first hike ever and I loved it. A challenge for the rookie but the view was worth it.

Beautiful hike. It was super muddy due to all the rain, but well worth it!

It was really pretty! December was a good month to go and it wasn’t busy at all! A good place to break for lunch. We mixed it with lovers leap, devils gulch, and needle point.

Easy for the whole family. Not rugged, paved path with some steps.

Great views of the Natural Bridge from below, and you can hike to the top arch for awesome views of the surrounding area (great place to sit for a break). Overall, it's a short hike, but be ready to go uphill for almost the entire trail.

Uh if you’re a Kentuckian or not!!! This is a must!!! Like the Kentucky Derby! You must do! If you’re lazy there is always the lift! ❤️ Note to all the Dads that love Natural Bridge. Take your kids to other RRG trails!!! They will want to remember it when they’re older! TRUST

The hike from the lodge to Natural Bridge using the Original Trail was relatively easy. It is uphill, but it's a short enough trail to enjoy and there are several benches and rest areas along the way. We hiked this after dinner and thought the view was definitely worth it. There are other trails to the top, if you're looking for more of a challenge. The Original Trail, though, should suit almost everyone who wants to hike it. Our family (ages 4, 6, 10, 12 and parents) had no problems.

Monday, July 09, 2018

Beautiful trail. Great views and seldom-seen geological features abound. Hike up is not easy at all, though. Trail is rugged and steep. My wife and two sons joined me on a chamber-of-commerce summer Sunday. Wx was 88-90. Take water.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Our family loved this hike! We had our 13, 12 and almost 2 year old. Our toddler loved the hike as well! The steps are the hardest part. Definitely worth the view from the bridge.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

What is so great about this trail is that it is a connector to many others in the area. Once you reach Natural Bridge your hiking options are endless. One drawback is, if you have bad knees this is not so easy but there are lots of places to rest along the trail and all provide a nice environment.