Learn more

Moonbow Trail is a 13.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Parkers Lake, Kentucky that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 13.4 mi Elevation gain 1,072 ft Route type Point to Point

Muddy

Scramble

Description
Waypoints (0)

This is the section of the Sheltowee Trace #2 that goes from Cumberland Falls to the mouth of the Laurel River.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (33)
Photos (178)
Recordings (17)
Completed (91)
Terry Mullins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed May 13 2020
Off trailOver grownRocky

Not a terribly demanding trail, some beautiful scenery along the way...

Ben Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Nov 03 2019
HikingBlowdownBridge outMuddyOver grownScramble

Fun trail but be prepared to scramble. 3 different bridges were inaccessible and a lot of downed trees along the trail (40+). The northern half of the trail is obviously not a very trafficked trail which was nice, only saw two other people during the 3 day trip.

Nancy Burgin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Oct 08 2019
HikingBridge outRocky

Definitely a hard trail. This is the second time we’ve hiked from the visitors center to the star shelter. We had a nice time. We were the only ones on the trail til we got back close to the falls. We came across a pretty large pile of what we assumed was bear

Carson Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 16 2019
Hiking

Backpacked from Cumberland Falls Visitor center to Star Creek Shelter. There are parts of the trail that are a bit overgrown, but it’s not too hard to follow. There is a lot of up and down, and you do have to watch your footing closely in parts. Closer towards the shelter, there is a bridge that goes across a small gulley that is out, but you can still cross with careful footing. The shelter was ok; a lot of trash around it. There are several semi established campsites with rock fire rings between the shelter and when you enter CF State Park. Would definitely do the trail again.

Abby McKenzie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 25 2019
Hiking

We took the this trail from Cumberland Falls out to Dog Slaughter Falls. It’s a 3.5 mile hike one way along the river. Stunning views. Gorgeous rock formations. I would rate it moderate and had no problem completing the 7 miles out and back. We took many opportunities to walk down to the river and also to the base of Dog Slaughter and ended up walking more like 8.5-9 miles. There are roots and rocks along the trail as well as rock steps and metal steps. For me, this is part of what makes hiking fun. We will definitely do this hike again in the fall and winter.

Stephen Larson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Aug 24 2019
HikingBlowdownBridge outBugsMuddyNo shadeOff trailOver grownRocky
Gabby Thornhill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 26 2019
HikingBugs
Geneva Green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 30 2019
HikingBugsOver grown
View Geneva's Recording
Patrick Bray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 20 2019
Hiking

Did This trail Last Fall with a friend and my dog. I would not consider this trail hard. More Moderate. Very flowing. Takes you right to the falls visitor center. The Lodge will give you a shuttle for a small fee. Worth the time. Although with all the rain we have had recently I can easily se pieces of the trail being completely submerged. Especially near Laurel Lake.

Jonathan M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Mar 11 2019
BackpackingBridge out

: I hiked from the parking lot of the gift shop to a broken bridge (about 5.75 miles). The broken bridge forced me to turn around because it was too dangerous to cross The trail itself is very difficult. It's rocky and steep. A hiker must inch along the entire trail and pay close attention to how and where they step in order to avoid losing balancing, falling, or twisting ankles. The trail isn't well marked between Mile 4 and 5 (if you're coming from the gift shop.) It's easy to get lost on this section. I hiked to mile 5.72 and had to turnaround because a bridge was broken.

Alicia Bullock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jan 05 2019
Hiking

we did this hike about 3 years ago. So many nice side trails and lots of water features, cascades and waterfalls.

Chad Kruczynski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Dec 01 2017

Great hiking trail. A few difficult areas made the hike fun. Parked at laurel lake dam and walked in. Great scenery as most of the hike is along Cumberland river. A lot of hills for the first 1.5 miles then the trail elevation evens out for most of the walk. Only made it in to bark creek and turned back. Great views of a waterfall on the creek made the entire trip worth it. Make sure not to miss out on this view. Took about 6 hours complete this hike which was, I would guess, 7 miles one way.

Elisha Hower
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 19 2017

love this trail. But also it is very hard. We always do this trail when we come to Cumberland falls. Takes a long time. 2 half to 3 hours one way. Expect a all day hike. That's what I go for. Not many people on the trail. A few water falls and walk with the river most of the time.

Anthony Privett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 24 2016

The trail could use some maintenance. There are several trees down across the trail, and it's overgrown in a few areas. The trail reroutes could be a little better marked. It is definitely longer than the 11 miles stated on the sign at the Mouth of Laurel boat ramp. Both shelters are in good condition. There are some awesome Creek crossings with beautiful scenery. All of the bridges are standing and in good condition, except one, but it is still usable. Overall I would say this is a great trail, and I would definitely hike it again.

Jon Gaddis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Mar 16 2016

This was some of the roughest 13 mile trek in my long history of hiking. It's maintained poorly, the terrain was pure hell, but then again , I'm out of shape. It's actually 13 miles, not 10. A section of it was washed out and crossing was a little chossy, I wouldn't recommend this trail for inexperienced hikers. It's fun and scenic, though, so enjoy it. I really loved the giant spider webs (the huge garden spider kind) I had to walk through every five feet. I wish I were exaggerating. When I slung my pack off at the end of the hike, there were like 15 thick banana spiders crushed all along my back, the poor things.