Millennium Trail is a 13.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lebanon Junction, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,283 feet Route Type: Loop

Current Winter Hours Daily: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Parking gate closes at 4:30) Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Days Millennium Trail 13.75 miles 6-7 hours Difficult Please register at the Visitor Center or the trail head upon beginning the Millennium Trail. The Halfway point of the trail is located off Paul’s Point Loop (see map). The Millennium Trail is Bernheim’s longest trail and is recommended for experienced hikers only. It winds through ridges of oak-hickory forests to valleys and streams of beech-maple forests. This difficult trail features several steep slopes, creek and road crossings, and rough terrain. Due to early closing times in the winter, all hikers should begin the Millennium Trail prior to 9:30 a.m. November - March.

Yep it’s a beast. Been wanting to hike it for a while & we finally did it in late June. Trail has a TON of down trees making it a little tougher to navigate in spots. Got a lot of small ticks. Bring lots & lots of water. No great views but you will see a couple old cemeteries, lots of creek beds & some deer, frogs, etc. Friendly, knowledgeable staff told us the trail was about to be shutdown for much needed maintenance. It took just over 6 hours with a short break. Lots of up & downs. You will get a serious workout & sweat on a hot/humid day. Glad we did it!

Make sure to bring plenty of water! I ran out and started cramping up even after being well hydrated prior. The ground was pretty wet and there was a lot of creeks to cross where I covered my boots completely and the trails were very slippery all over today. All in all I had a great experience! I can’t wait to recover so I can do it again soon!

Very pretty, well marked trail, more moderate than hard. Took us 7 hours at a fairly leisurely pace.

Hi friends. Dann here. Checking in as a survivor of the Millenium Trail. Was it hard? You bet your a**. It took me and Dawn Laté a solid seven hours to finish it. The whole time, I was wishing I had on pants or longer socks at least. Don’t do this one alone. You need at least two sets of eyes on this trail- one to watch the trail at your feet and another to keep an eye on those rectangle or triangle markers. Think you’re on the right path? You probably made a wrong turn. Won’t do this one again, though we did see one deer, two turtles, one snake (unclassified) and more frogs than a late 90s Budweiser commercial. Bucket list check. It’s time for a beer, a burger and to await the poison oak to consume my cankles. Check for ticks...like everywhere.

A group of 4 women set off on this trail by 8:00 a.m. on May 5th. It had been raining for a couple days prior so we expected muddy trails, and it certainly was. The trail had 10 or more streams to cross, including one right at the trailhead. Some streams were manageable, but several, including the one to start the trail, were deep. So we started the trail with soaking wet feet - not fun! After a while though we just got used to having wet feet... Anyway, despite the mud, we enjoyed the trail. If I did it again in the spring, I would wear waterproof hiking boots. Most of the trail was well marked, but a couple spots were not and we missed a turn. We did always look for those yellow posts on the trees, but at important “V’s” and turns, they weren’t always there. BTW, if you go clockwise, the yellow shapes are rectangles, and if you go counter clockwise, the tag shape is a triangle. It would be nice if the trail had more vistas for photos, but it certainly had lots of babbling and overflowing brooks the day we hiked and a few wildflowers. Take plenty of water and snacks - the trail is challenging/hilly and I felt it in my knees for a day or two afterwards. We finished in 8 hours, did 38,000 steps, 14.5 miles (because we got off the trail), and we were glad to get those muddy wet shoes off when finished! My last suggestion is to do this trail with a buddy/partner and not alone.

veered left immediately to enter the gate and follow the yellow triangles. Pretty smooth sailing navigationally until the 12th mile marker. when we started going down hill after that marker, it was so steep and we were so concerned with getting down safely (it rained a lot the day before, so we had some mud) that we missed the markers and ended up at the bottom of the hill where there was a fence and a small area where Bernheim keeps old broken trail heads and a weird statue of a head. anyway we walked back up the hill and quickly found the markers we missed. It got a bit more confusing at the end when we were dumped on the pavement near the children's play area, but we found markers leading us back in. with getting a little lost and just a couple of breaks, the whole thing took exactly 8 hours to get back to the car. Our phones recorded about 15.5 miles, but again, we did stray a bit at one point. I loved the trail and will definitely do it again. killer work out. I definitely recommend following the yellow TRIANGLE blazes as the end got confusing and I can see how that would be totally discouraging in the first few miles. in spring, great trail for birds, butterflies and wild flowers. only reason I gave 4 stars is because we got a bit lost and there are a lot of downed trees which can get you a bit lost of you stray too far trying to go around them. but mostly a well marked trail!!

This was the most poorly maintained and marked trail I've probably ever been on. I hiked it with two others, we had a map, I hike a lot, and we got lost a ton. Maybe it would be easier to stay on the trail in the summer and spring when leaves aren't covering the ground. It was well-marked in some places, but in other places, we could not find the triangle blazes to save our life. If I had attempted the trail on my own, I would have had to turn back after a few miles due to not knowing where to go. There were TONS of huge trees down blocking the trail, which required hiking off-trail through thick brambles and other brush. It didn't seem like the trail had been maintained in years, in my opinion. They also lock the gate to the trailhead parking area at 4:30, so make sure you start early. It took our group 6 hours and 42 minutes and we were hiking fairly fast...It probably would have taken 6 hours if we hadn't gotten lost and felt like we were hiking "off-trail" for a majority of the trail. It was definitely a good work-out and challenge though. The trail should be rated "difficult" on AllTrails, not moderate, and it's 13.75 miles in length. We took the trail counter-clockwise.

Good trail but the markings could be a lot better!! If doing the trail counter clockwise your left hand turn is about 50 yards from the trail head!!!

The trail is great, but O-my, the people here at Bernheim are absolutely wonderful.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

There is currently a ton of blown downs. A few that required walking through thick thorn bushes to get around. Lots of ticks. My advice would be to wear pants on this one, until they get the trail cleared from the blow downs.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

The trail is difficult due to mere length and elevation. Definitely challenging for me. Make sure you pay attention to the blazes. I plan on doing it again.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

I hiked the trail clockwise in December. I started at 10am and finished just at 1630 when the ranger was closing the gate. I brought my hiking backpack, and a couple liters of water. I had to run at times when the trail was flat, to make sure I maintained my pace to be done by 1630. The trail was in good shape, there are some decent views. Nothing spectacular. It is definitely one of the harder trails in the area and requires that you are physically fit.

Saturday, February 03, 2018

Awesome trail !! Would be excellent if you could camp in some designated areas overnight so you can take tour time and enjoy everything this place has to offer. WILL hike again.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

This is not a moderated trail. Maybe if hiking, but certainly not if running. A lot of leaves are down right now in Jan so it makes foot placement difficult in avoiding the constant rocks on the trail. This run is great exercise so don't plan on running it for time.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Be on the lookout for rattlesnakes (we saw one right in the middle of the trail..see photos) and prepared for a massive number of ticks in the summer. Despite taking precautions of using bug spray and covering ourselves in tall socks, hat, and pants, we were covered in ticks!! No exaggeration a minimum of 50 each when we got finished and we had been picking them off along the whole trail! I even had tiny ticks under my compression socks! Yes they were ticks because they went to warm areas! My friend and I had to strip down in the parking lot. Otherwise it was a fun trail but I’m not sure I would do it again due to the tick plague!

Friday, November 03, 2017

Like many others are saying...nice long trail. 13.87654 miles of mixed elevation depending on how you start. We went counter clockwise and the first 6-7 miles were somewhat strenuous and challenging keeping our 3 mile per hour pace. As fairly new hikers, we took 7 hours to complete this trail with water breaks as needed(often) and one 10 minute snack break. Water sources were mostly in the first and last 2 miles so bring at least 3 liters of h2o. Great hike with not so amazing views. Mostly green tunnels during summer and fall this year.

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Good long trail. Ups and downs. Lot of green tunnel. But the forest is beautiful. Will do it again.

Monday, September 04, 2017

I like this Trail mainly for the length and proximity to my home in Bardstown. I have hiked this trail a few times. Once in 2005 and once in 2015. Both times I have gone in November or December on mild winter days(highs of 50-55). Last time I hiked this trail, I started when they open and finish a few hours before close. I packed plenty of water, a lunch and an afternoon snack. There's usually not much to look at in the winter, but you can look down the ridge into the wooded forest, a view that might not possible in the Summer. Ticks were not a problem.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

This is a great long trail. We tried the first time to get on the trail from another trail, but this was a mistake and we couldn't find the loop from the main trailhead. Also the first time we tried it, it had rained the week before and the creeks were flooded and you had to cross over many streams. Though this made it really scenic I wouldn't recommend, since you'd need a couple of changes of socks. Also make sure you start at the actual trail head by the playground so you don't get lost finding your way back. Took around 7 hours. You can take your lunch for a stop at the halfday point. That's the only place there's a bench to rest.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Great long hike. 7 hours.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Well, it's spider season on the trail. In fall, bring a staff or carry a long stick. Swing them in front of you to keep spider webs (and spiders) from clinging to your face. Sprayed with picardin before hiking and did not have a single tick on us when completed. Getting old (60) and out of shape, so I was winded on the uphills, some discomfort on the longer downhills. Otherwise, OK. Saw a deer and the ever-present squirrels. Heard an eagle. Trails were well marked, but sometimes you had to look a little more carefully to find them. No big vistas, just a nice forest hike. If you take your time and stop to enjoy some moments, it will take most of the day.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Some of the markings were hard to find. TONS OF TICKS!! Bring 100% deet bug spray. Lots of spider webs and fallen trees and creeks. Great hike. I did this as someone who doesn't hike at all and was sore the next day (that's to be expected). I plan to hike again very soon.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Hiked in October - awesome! Hiking again this weekend, only fitting in half - taking lots of water!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Loved every bit of this trail.