Millennium Trail

Millennium Trail is a 13.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lebanon Junction, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Millennium Trail in Bernheim Forest is a 13.6 mile loop trail located near Shepherdsville, Kentucky. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

I hiked the trail clockwise in December. I started at 10am and finished just at 1630 when the ranger was closing the gate. I brought my hiking backpack, and a couple liters of water. I had to run at times when the trail was flat, to make sure I maintained my pace to be done by 1630. The trail was in good shape, there are some decent views. Nothing spectacular. It is definitely one of the harder trails in the area and requires that you are physically fit.

Awesome trail !! Would be excellent if you could camp in some designated areas overnight so you can take tour time and enjoy everything this place has to offer. WILL hike again.

This is not a moderated trail. Maybe if hiking, but certainly not if running. A lot of leaves are down right now in Jan so it makes foot placement difficult in avoiding the constant rocks on the trail. This run is great exercise so don't plan on running it for time.

Be on the lookout for rattlesnakes (we saw one right in the middle of the trail..see photos) and prepared for a massive number of ticks in the summer. Despite taking precautions of using bug spray and covering ourselves in tall socks, hat, and pants, we were covered in ticks!! No exaggeration a minimum of 50 each when we got finished and we had been picking them off along the whole trail! I even had tiny ticks under my compression socks! Yes they were ticks because they went to warm areas! My friend and I had to strip down in the parking lot. Otherwise it was a fun trail but I’m not sure I would do it again due to the tick plague!

Like many others are saying...nice long trail. 13.87654 miles of mixed elevation depending on how you start. We went counter clockwise and the first 6-7 miles were somewhat strenuous and challenging keeping our 3 mile per hour pace. As fairly new hikers, we took 7 hours to complete this trail with water breaks as needed(often) and one 10 minute snack break. Water sources were mostly in the first and last 2 miles so bring at least 3 liters of h2o. Great hike with not so amazing views. Mostly green tunnels during summer and fall this year.

Good long trail. Ups and downs. Lot of green tunnel. But the forest is beautiful. Will do it again.

I like this Trail mainly for the length and proximity to my home in Bardstown. I have hiked this trail a few times. Once in 2005 and once in 2015. Both times I have gone in November or December on mild winter days(highs of 50-55). Last time I hiked this trail, I started when they open and finish a few hours before close. I packed plenty of water, a lunch and an afternoon snack. There's usually not much to look at in the winter, but you can look down the ridge into the wooded forest, a view that might not possible in the Summer. Ticks were not a problem.

This is a great long trail. We tried the first time to get on the trail from another trail, but this was a mistake and we couldn't find the loop from the main trailhead. Also the first time we tried it, it had rained the week before and the creeks were flooded and you had to cross over many streams. Though this made it really scenic I wouldn't recommend, since you'd need a couple of changes of socks. Also make sure you start at the actual trail head by the playground so you don't get lost finding your way back. Took around 7 hours. You can take your lunch for a stop at the halfday point. That's the only place there's a bench to rest.

Great long hike. 7 hours.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Well, it's spider season on the trail. In fall, bring a staff or carry a long stick. Swing them in front of you to keep spider webs (and spiders) from clinging to your face. Sprayed with picardin before hiking and did not have a single tick on us when completed. Getting old (60) and out of shape, so I was winded on the uphills, some discomfort on the longer downhills. Otherwise, OK. Saw a deer and the ever-present squirrels. Heard an eagle. Trails were well marked, but sometimes you had to look a little more carefully to find them. No big vistas, just a nice forest hike. If you take your time and stop to enjoy some moments, it will take most of the day.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Some of the markings were hard to find. TONS OF TICKS!! Bring 100% deet bug spray. Lots of spider webs and fallen trees and creeks. Great hike. I did this as someone who doesn't hike at all and was sore the next day (that's to be expected). I plan to hike again very soon.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Hiked in October - awesome! Hiking again this weekend, only fitting in half - taking lots of water!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Loved every bit of this trail.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

I enjoyed this trail. it was a little narrow at times with over growth. we saw 2 other purple do that was great. we saw lots of dear. Make sure to bring your own water because there is nothing on the trail to filter. there was lots of ticks so make sure you spray. I sprayed and still had 10 on me. I wish there were some over looks. lots of green space. it's not the red river gorge bit is closer if you live in Louisville Ky. there are lots of smaller trails in the area if you don't want to do this 14 mile beast.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Make a day of it!!!!!

Monday, May 16, 2016

Well marked trail Did half day. 7 Miles

Monday, March 28, 2016

Very intense trail. Come prepared!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Very tough hike, only got to the 1/2 way point bc we started to late in the day. Was well marked, wasn't very exciting though, its just a lot of woods, no rugged terrain, cliffs, waterfalls, etc at least on the first half going clockwise. Was definitely a good workout tho & enjoyed being outside. Would recommend for somewhat fit person, got the legs burning!

Thursday, July 31, 2014

I hiked this trail with a buddy in 95 degree summer heat, if you do decide to do the trail in the summer I recommend making a water cache midpoint and use plenty of tick repellent. Also the trail head was a pain in the butt to find and if you happen to do this trail on a weekend then you have to pay 5$ to get into the park and then wait till 9 am for the visitors center to open to register for the trail. The trail itself was very strenuous, its not a trail for beginners by any means. We crossed many creek beds that were dried up so make sure to drink and bring plenty of water. This trail took us about 7 hours in all to complete with a half hour lunch at the mid-point.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Bernheim Forest offers great trails and excellent staff. The Visitor Center Staff also offers good food and refreshments. The trails are very well marked vary in distance and difficulty. A great place to hike, walk, or picnic while the kids are enjoying the playground. Bernheim Forest is a Great Place for kids of all ages to Enjoy Nature and enjoy the day.

Sunday, January 05, 2014

Great hike but very challenging. I hadn't worked out for a month before I tried this and I regretted that because I could hardly walk when I got home. We hiked it counter-clockwise and I felt great at the half-way point and I figured the latter half I could do with relative ease. I was very wrong. At mile nine there's a hill where whoever made the trail obviously had a sick sense of humor and made the trail run straight up the hill. After that my legs were screaming at me for the last 4 miles, but totally worth it. The trail offers many different vistas, from valleys, to intertwining streams, to beautiful hilltop views. All in all, a fun trail, but unless you hike on a weekly basis or are some sort of triathlon runner, don't expect to feel chipper after.

Thursday, September 05, 2013

Lovely.

Friday, May 04, 2012

My husband and I have hiked this trail frequently. It's one of our favorites. We have
hiked it during every season and in all types of weather. But let me tell you, it doesn't
matter how many times you do it, the climbs do not get any easier!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Definitely a cool weather hike, a lot of ups and downs. I really enjoyed the scenery from the ridge lines down to the hollows. I think it's a great trail for the moderately experienced hiker.

Friday, January 06, 2012

my favorite +10miler..its a tough hike LOTS of climbs..

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

This trail will test you! Its almost 14 miles of some serious ups and downs. The Millennium is very well blazed but pay attention, it is rugged with rocks and bramble, making it easy to step off trail. If you don't see a triangular, yellow blaze in over 50 - 100 feet you are off trail. TAKE WATER, this hike is demanding and you cannot count on a natural water source. Visible from the ridge tops are beautiful panoramas and birds eye views of the Evan William's and Jim Beam distilleries. The Millennium is great and I highly recommend it. Giver yourself plenty of time to finish during daylight hours.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

14 miles of monotonous young woodland with few summer water sources. Must also exit the park by dusk and no camping allowed anywhere.....Good training trail though

Friday, August 13, 2010

This is a beautiful place. Great for meditation, and learning about different plant species.

Monday, August 09, 2010

This hike was a nice workout with beautiful forests. Be sure to use plenty of bug spray during summer. I had to remove over 200 ticks after the hike. Very disturbing.