Learn more

Millennium Trail [CLOSED] is a 13.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clermont, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 13.8 mi Elevation gain 2,312 ft Route type Loop

Over grown

Closed

Description
Waypoints (2)

As of May 2020, users have reported this trail still has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Current Winter Hours Daily: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Parking gate closes at 4:30) Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Days Millennium Trail 13.75 miles 6-7 hours Difficult Please register at the Visitor Center or the trail head upon beginning the Millennium Trail. The Halfway point of the trail is located off Paul’s Point Loop (see map). The Millennium Trail is Bernheim’s longest trail and is recommended for experienced hikers only. It winds through ridges of oak-hickory forests to valleys and streams of beech-maple forests. This difficult trail features several steep slopes, creek and road crossings, and rough terrain. Due to early closing times in the winter, all hikers should begin the Millennium Trail prior to 9:30 a.m. November - March.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (120)
Photos (154)
Recordings (90)
Completed (196)
Melissa Taft
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 15 2020
HikingClosed

Bernheim Forest is completely closed due to COVID-19!

Michael Englert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 08 2020
Hiking

Perfect sunny day and 66 degrees! A great day with Amy and the boys!

View Michael's Recording
Sam Warren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Feb 01 2020
HikingBlowdown

lots of deadfall, but a nice hike in the woods. lots of water sources to filter water, but it is the wet season. the gate on the trailhead road closed at 430 so be mindful of that.

View Sam's Recording
Richard Cobb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jan 23 2020
Hiking

Enjoyed the trail. This trail is located in Bernheim Forest so you’ll be in a forest setting. There’s no overlooks which was fine with me. Unlike previous reviewers, having those yellow markers is a great thing when hiking the trail in late fall or winter. A 4 inch layer of leaves covers the forest floor making it impossible in numerous areas to actually see the trail. Many spots that you had to go over, under or around downed trees but that’s expected because...you’re in a forest!

View Richard's Recording
Jake Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Dec 21 2019

More of a moderate in my opinion. Not much stands out about this trail but the obscene amount of markers along it that border on littering.

Ben Morrison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Dec 13 2019
Hiking

So hard and so rewarding. Defiantly one of the best day hikes I have ever been on! If you have an entire day open and the weather forecast is good then please go experience this trail for yourself.

Bill Moberly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 12 2019
Hiking

Yellow, yellow keep your eyes on the yellow trail markers. Plan 6 to 7 hours. You need to stop so often to enjoy the views Be back

View Bill's Recording
K.D. Thurman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 06 2019
Hiking

Nice trail with decent elevation changes. We headed out counterclockwise and some spots we missed the trail markers for turns and had to double back. It wouldn't have been a big issue, but having to turn around and go back up a hill after 12 miles was not too fun. Overall had a good experience, but will probably do some other trails within Bernheim before hiking this one again. With a couple short breaks and a break for lunch, it took about 6 hours.

Dylan Wilder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Oct 04 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

This is a great trail. Definitely a full day excursion. The only issue is that in some places there were fallen trees that were difficult to maneuver around. YOU WILL GET TICKS. Make sure to check yourself for ticks before getting in your car. And wear plenty of bug spray.

Ryan A.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 30 2019
Hiking

This is a well marked trail with some decent views of the adjacent hills with the trees sparse of leaves this time of year. There are a lot of gorgeous large tulips, elms and maples to be seen. There may have been 3-4 times by the creek bottoms where I had to look around for a trail marker, other than that it is a very intuitive trail. As for difficulty, I'd say you should be in decent shape as there is quite a bit of elevation change and some steep ascents and descents. Trekking poles recommended. In between the climbs there are long flat stretches to recoup. I'm in athletic shape and it took me 4 1/2 hrs to complete, that's with no breaks and moving at a decent clip. Definitely bring enough water, as there is none on the trail. I took 2 liters and ran out just before I finished, so 3 liters would have made me more comfortable.

Kara Leann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 23 2019
HikingBlowdownBugs

Here’s an honest review. This trail is not exceptionally hard by any means, you just have to be in decent shape to do it. My dog and I completed it in 5hrs and 27 minutes, and I was wearing a 20+ pound hiking backpack (practicing for some longer distance hikes). The trail is very well marked. So well marked that you can put your phone on airplane mode and stick it in your backpack and not look at it for directions. The yellow blazes are everywhere. There were only 3 instances that I lost sight of blazes, and I was only “off trail” for maybe 30 seconds before realizing there were no blazes to be seen up ahead, so I backtracked a few yards. Just make sure you pay attention to blazes and you’ll be ok. Even the sign says if you don’t see them every 20ish seconds you need to backtrack. There are some steep climbs and descents, so if you’re not wearing proper footwear you may be uncomfortable. The climbs are so spaced out you have plenty of time to recover (as in, feel your legs again, and catch your breath) in between them. Bring trekking poles. They’re a life saver. There was quite a bit of blowdown. Most is easily climbed under or over, but there were a few places I had to go off trail and go around. I never lost sight of the yellow blazes while doing this. Expect to cobweb the entire trail with your face. Literally the worst part of the trail. There will be nice views once the leaves are off the trees. Overall it was a rewarding, pleasantly challenging trail.

Jeff Bohnstedt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 15 2019
Hiking

so we finished the second half of the trail yesterday, the altrails app had us going a different route the the markers we were following all day. the app showed following the hard surface road for the last part, but the trail markers had us going out around and back down as the recording shows. we started at the 1/2 way point where we finished last weekend and went counter clockwise, we found the most challenging part from mile 10 on, steep inclines and descents, great for training for the grand canyon trip next year. there was a chain link gate that looked locked up with a chain. but it has a clasp hook on it, and is attached to a tree to just keep it shut. the trail had signs up everywhere that it was closed due to heat index, but we checked in at the visitors center and they said it was open regardless, overall it was a good day to be in the woods.

Jeff Bohnstedt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 13 2019
Hiking

we only did the 1st half last weekend, counter clockwise, were going back this weekend to do the last half, starting counterclockwise, the trail head was a little hard to find, we ended up going down the dirt road insted of turning left past a group of trees. walked along the fence line past the gate your sposed to go threw, wasnt to bad of a start, w as s enjoying the scenery more then watch trail marking. once on track it was a bit difficult, about 1/2 to 3/4 the way to Paul's point the trail marking seems to be scarce, or missing in spots around the creek beds and such. was a lot of up and down hill parts but overall we enjoyed it, just 1 thing to point out, if you eat snacks or lunch, dont leave your trash for others like me and my wife to pick up and pack out, we both grew up in southern California and i have seen whole areas closed down out there because people couldn't or wouldn't pick up there trash !.

Crystal-Joseph Osbourne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 09 2019
Hiking

Brutal trail. I felt I was mostly going up or down with a few small flats to enjoy. The timeframe to fit 14 miles in before the gates close was a little daunting. I completed it with 1 1/2 hours to spare, but it was on my mind the whole way. The feeling of accomplishment was unmatched though. 14 miles, straight up and down, on a time limit! Will do again because I’m a masochist

Todd Laubenstein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 02 2019
HikingBlowdownRocky

For me this was not a fun trail. I'm proud of accomplishing it for all intents. I did lose the blazes somewhere around 12 miles in and my right foot is shot with blisters. I followed a decommissioned trail and voices of family joy to a picnic area near visitor center then got a ranger ride to my car so I didn't officially complete loop by 1.0-1.5 miles. By not fun I mean it's a nice walk in the woods but doesn't have much payoff. Their trail builders didn't much believe in switchbacks so you have very incline and decline every mile or mile and a half with no payoff. There are no real vistas into any valleys to reward the climb as it is all green tunnel, though u wouldn't want them to hack swaths of trees just so I get an overlook. Long stretches are very rocky to the point of being like PA with nothing but ankle turners for big stretches and in rain washes the creeks are dry but the must have had rain a day or two ago because the rocks are very slippery and mossy. I hade several close calls saved from serious falls only by trekking poles, which is part of hiking so I get it. Last point several negative reviews say the trail is poorly marked and hard to find. I have mixed results. Most of my 12+ miles were very well worn and very visible just by foot traffic, it is also blazed in an insane number of trees, like every 10-20 feet for most part. Lots of blow downs but that's generally easy to find trail after sidestepping if you can't just climb over or under. I will say I found miles 5-6 poorly marked and really confusing, lost about 30-40 minutes trying different things that looked like trails before I found the blazes I missed. I found a few of the creek bed crossings were a little hard to spot, especially if the trail sidestepped up or downstream by very much. At one point there was definitely a fork with stone staircase going uphill on right and a strong footpath showing to left, definitely a junction. it took me a few minutes before I was able to see the blazes well above staircase to go right. That was around 4 miles. And as stated above I totally lost track around 12 miles and gave up due to blisters. All my miles are going CCW. It is a sense of accomplishment because it is a hard day hike. it is great training for rocky, steep trails for those of us who live on flatter, or in my case lower rolling gentle 200 foot hills versus 450 foot straight up on ankle breakers. Glad I did it but not thinking I will do so again. Probably be willing to take family to Bernheim for the more family friendly walks and educational stuff.

View Todd's Recording
Michael Cummings
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 02 2019
HikingBlowdownBugsOver grown
View Michael's Recording
Allie Mattingly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 28 2019
HikingOver grown

Was really excited to try this trail but ended up being very disappointed by the conditions. Very overgrown and lots of downed trees. Has the potential to be a great trail with a bit of trail work.

Billy Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 01 2019
HikingBlowdownBugsOver grown

Yep it’s a beast. Been wanting to hike it for a while & we finally did it in late June. Trail has a TON of down trees making it a little tougher to navigate in spots. Got a lot of small ticks. Bring lots & lots of water. No great views but you will see a couple old cemeteries, lots of creek beds & some deer, frogs, etc. Friendly, knowledgeable staff told us the trail was about to be shutdown for much needed maintenance. It took just over 6 hours with a short break. Lots of up & downs. You will get a serious workout & sweat on a hot/humid day. Glad we did it!

Patrick Zewatski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 09 2019
Hiking

Make sure to bring plenty of water! I ran out and started cramping up even after being well hydrated prior. The ground was pretty wet and there was a lot of creeks to cross where I covered my boots completely and the trails were very slippery all over today. All in all I had a great experience! I can’t wait to recover so I can do it again soon!

View Patrick's Recording
Mandy Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 04 2019

Very pretty, well marked trail, more moderate than hard. Took us 7 hours at a fairly leisurely pace.

Dann Laté
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 27 2019
HikingBugs

Hi friends. Dann here. Checking in as a survivor of the Millenium Trail. Was it hard? You bet your a**. It took me and Dawn Laté a solid seven hours to finish it. The whole time, I was wishing I had on pants or longer socks at least. Don’t do this one alone. You need at least two sets of eyes on this trail- one to watch the trail at your feet and another to keep an eye on those rectangle or triangle markers. Think you’re on the right path? You probably made a wrong turn. Won’t do this one again, though we did see one deer, two turtles, one snake (unclassified) and more frogs than a late 90s Budweiser commercial. Bucket list check. It’s time for a beer, a burger and to await the poison oak to consume my cankles. Check for ticks...like everywhere.

Cathy Gruninger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 07 2019
Hiking

A group of 4 women set off on this trail by 8:00 a.m. on May 5th. It had been raining for a couple days prior so we expected muddy trails, and it certainly was. The trail had 10 or more streams to cross, including one right at the trailhead. Some streams were manageable, but several, including the one to start the trail, were deep. So we started the trail with soaking wet feet - not fun! After a while though we just got used to having wet feet... Anyway, despite the mud, we enjoyed the trail. If I did it again in the spring, I would wear waterproof hiking boots. Most of the trail was well marked, but a couple spots were not and we missed a turn. We did always look for those yellow posts on the trees, but at important “V’s” and turns, they weren’t always there. BTW, if you go clockwise, the yellow shapes are rectangles, and if you go counter clockwise, the tag shape is a triangle. It would be nice if the trail had more vistas for photos, but it certainly had lots of babbling and overflowing brooks the day we hiked and a few wildflowers. Take plenty of water and snacks - the trail is challenging/hilly and I felt it in my knees for a day or two afterwards. We finished in 8 hours, did 38,000 steps, 14.5 miles (because we got off the trail), and we were glad to get those muddy wet shoes off when finished! My last suggestion is to do this trail with a buddy/partner and not alone.

Sarah Hettel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Apr 25 2019
BlowdownBugsMuddy

veered left immediately to enter the gate and follow the yellow triangles. Pretty smooth sailing navigationally until the 12th mile marker. when we started going down hill after that marker, it was so steep and we were so concerned with getting down safely (it rained a lot the day before, so we had some mud) that we missed the markers and ended up at the bottom of the hill where there was a fence and a small area where Bernheim keeps old broken trail heads and a weird statue of a head. anyway we walked back up the hill and quickly found the markers we missed. It got a bit more confusing at the end when we were dumped on the pavement near the children's play area, but we found markers leading us back in. with getting a little lost and just a couple of breaks, the whole thing took exactly 8 hours to get back to the car. Our phones recorded about 15.5 miles, but again, we did stray a bit at one point. I loved the trail and will definitely do it again. killer work out. I definitely recommend following the yellow TRIANGLE blazes as the end got confusing and I can see how that would be totally discouraging in the first few miles. in spring, great trail for birds, butterflies and wild flowers. only reason I gave 4 stars is because we got a bit lost and there are a lot of downed trees which can get you a bit lost of you stray too far trying to go around them. but mostly a well marked trail!!