Mantle Rock Trail

Mantle Rock Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Smithland, Kentucky that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

cave

An easy walk along a very thin trail. Took my two boys (8 and 12) and walked straight to the arch. We wandered around for a while trying to find a way to actually get on top, but didn’t want to wander through all of the undergrowth.

Awesome place just bring plenty of tick repellent if you hike it in warm weather.

I’m not from the area so I’m not sure if it rained the day before, but the trail (after visiting the Arch) was too boggy to complete the full 2.6 miles. I was bummed about that, BUT the Arch was very cool and I had the place all to myself! Also, I’m part Cherokee, so it was humbling (in a beautiful way) be on a section of the Trail of Tears. Would love to give it try again in drier conditions!

Came here the day before the eclipse and check out the views. Was a nice early morning hike.

Beautiful area, just the wrong time of year to hike there. We pulled about 40 ticks off of us when we got back to the car. But we will be back come fall time.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Great natural bridge, cool bluffs, nice creek, stretch of the original Trail of Tears, well marked moderate loop

Saturday, March 11, 2017

The trail has been expanded into a loop trail. You can still do the out and back to the arch. Do the trail clockwise if you want to see the arch only.

The trail of tears runs through here and part of the trail is on the original route. Well worth the visit.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Took my girls and hubby and we had a great time. We will come back to camp.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Trail was well marked and the arch was cool. Nice hike for a family not to difficult for younger kids.

Friday, May 20, 2016

If you want a short easy hike with kids, follow the sign to "Arch" from parking area. Then come back. When you get to the arch you can continue on to the left for a fun trail that loops around. I'm not sure how long it was but it took us forever with our kids and they and we were both exhausted by the end of the loop. Very narrow at some points and not marked very well. But it was beautiful with caves and rocks to explore. Watch out for snakes.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

The trail is actually 2.75 mile loop. I only walked to Mantle Rock and back. This made the hike about a mile and well worth. I will go back with more time to do the rest. There seems to be some debate on if the Cherokee Indians forces out of the Carolinas camped under the rock or just near this rock on the road. It is still worth visiting and is an impressive land bridge with a tree under it.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Short loop trail has a large natural rock bridge and large natural shelter. Part of the trail of tears. If passing through the area it is worth while.

recorded mantle rock