John Holder Trail

John Holder Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Winchester, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

The John Holder trail (1.4 mi one way) starts at Hall's Restaurant on State Road 418. The trail immediately drops down to an old ford across Howard's Creek and circles around to an old plantation home. Great for a day hike. This scenic trail immediately drops down to an old ford across Howard's Creek that was part of the Athen-Boonesboro Turnpike (circa. 1775), then it continues up along a ridgeline past foundations of old ice houses to the Benjamin Hieronymous homestead. The homestead contains three cemeteries, including the 1798 grave of Colonel John Holder.

Nice brief hike. You must cross the creek to finish the trail. There are rocks strategically placed to help you cross, but they could disappear under water after a rain. The waterfall that is supposed to be on this trail is on private property and there are signs posted to tell hikers to stay out. Even without the waterfall, the creek is nice and the trail is pretty easy and relaxing. The trail will come to a small paved road - if you go left, the trail continues about 500 feet before ending at a gate and if you go right you will see a few more points of interest. I saw several plants I have never seen before on this trail and apparently they have a guided nature walk from time to time to areas with more rare flora and fauna.

Creek is great, trail not too much.

We hiked the John Holder trail today. We really enjoyed the hike. Lots of different things to look at and explore. Beautiful scenery.

The creek is very beautiful, the water is so clear and tranquil. this time of year it's a very popular swimming hole, making it not so peaceful. We really enjoy this trail, all the restrictions and private property signs on the cool stuff not so much. But that water is worth it, just beautiful.

The trail is no longer what is shown. If follows the road back up the hill. We split to the left at the asphalt path and went back down the road. I think we would have had more fun walking the 10 minutes to the creek and playing there than doing the hike

I Took my 3 girls they enjoyed the trail. My 6 year old needed no help fun little trail!

My friends and I didn't take the trail we explored the creek and all the waterfalls :)
The water got deep in some places but I'm 5 feet tall and I could always get through somehow.

I would like to ask everyone to follow the directions to the entrance of the John Holder Trail. The entrance is near Hall Restaurant on the Athens Boonesboro Rd. DO NOT put Lisletown in your GPS. There is no assess to the trail off the Boonesboro RD which is SR 627.

Great place to play in the crystal clear water.

love it! I go all the time!

Go prepared that this isn't really much of a hike anymore, most of it is closed to public access due to the number of endangered species that call this nature preserve home. That said, take your kids and have a great time in the water! Jump off the rock ledges into a six foot watering hole. Or sit in the water and just relax. Or take a hammock and post up. It's a relaxing area for sure, and when you're done stop by Halls for some good food. Great weekend trip for a family, and not a ton of people on the trail at the same time. Go for the swimming, not for the hiking, and you'll have a great time!

a beautiful trail that is a very easy hike even for a novice. whoever labeled this as "moderate" is a couch potato

As far as prettiness, this Trail deserves five stars, but due to private property restrictions in some of the cool looking places and the trail dead ending causing you to have to walk back the same way you came, I have to say 4 stars.
However this would be a excellent choice for beginners and is kid friendly!