paddle sports

old growth

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

A rare gem that is completely private and rarely used. That's one of the most appealing aspects because Im not a fan of congested parks. I've hiked various JW trails (I prefer the trail with the overlook) roughly 30 times in the past two years and not once did I encounter another hiker.

Secondly, certain trails need a facelift desperately but for the most part, they're in decent shape. A few authentic trail signs have faded or pealed away so someone marked on arrows with a ink pen. Which is appreciated but seriously how difficult is to find a replacement marker? The trails are very clean - Little to no garbage, however, occasionally I see a Mcdonalds bag tossed on the trail or a beer can. The overlook has been "renovated" and seems to be the most maintained spot on the entire trail.

Speaking of maintenance, It would be nice if someone went around there with a chainsaw removing a few massive trees that block paths. I had to literally get on all fours just to crawl under a tree blocking a path on more recent hike. Kinda aggravating and it would definitely be an issue for older folks.

Overall despite a few minor annoyances this is one of my favorite local trails to hike.

* I've also encountered various snakes and white tail deer while hiking.