Indian Staircase Trail

Indian Staircase Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pine Ridge, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

This is an un marked trail. Please make sure to research a get directions before you go. Be wary of bringing your pet up the staircase if they aren't used to climbing. Bring water!

Love the staircase.

This trail is awesome! It’s intimidating at first but I essentially walked straight up with no problem. Gorgeous view and worth it!

One of my favorite short hikes. Great views and a nice hike to test a new backpack before going out for several days. varied terrain will show you any issues it might cause.

One of the best hikes in RRG.

Beautiful trail

I was not able to find the hidden trail :(

Indian staircase provided me with my favorite trail in the gorge so far. This hike was fairly easy-going, yet beautiful. Climbing the "staircase" was challenging and rewarded us with stellar views once we made it to the top of the rock formation. Next we're making it a point to venture to the cloudsplitter.

One of my favorite trails in red river. Has all you want, climbing, waterfalls, and you see some arches

Great all around Adventure.

Fantastic trial! Also saw 4 snakes, rate the snakes as 10/10 they didn't bite us and were very polite. (Keep a lookout!) So great we did this hike twice in the short time we were in RRG.

Wonderful start to what was an amazing hike. Started with Indian Staircase and went to Cloudsplitter.

Park at the Bison Way Trailhead,
About 100 yards along the trail, the trail splits, take the right path. From there, you'll cross 4 streams, after the fourth (about a mile in) you'll come across trail markings (turtle and diamond), if you wish to climb the indian staircase take the right there on what is a well beaten path, but not an official trail.

Climbing the staircase was fun and the views at the top are excellent.

Soooo easy to get lost.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

5 out of 5 when combined with cloud splitter

Monday, June 26, 2017

Great views, interesting rock features, and plentiful camping sites.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Awesome views on this unique trail. Brought our corgi who was a champ and scampered right up the staircase. The trail becomes a little hard to follow once you reach the overhang at the top, but keep walking through it and it picks back up again. Saw a few other people but definitely not a busy trail. Can't wait to do it again.

To climb up the staircase you will cross 4 streams, the last of which has the largest bridge made of 4 logs. From there it's about 200 yards to a tree with a white turtle and white diamond stamped on it. You can either continue straight or turn up and right. Go up and right on the smaller trail to reach the base of the stairs.

Friday, June 16, 2017

I've been on a lot of trails at the gorge. This is by far my favorite hike. So many beautiful sites to see. Just be prepared to walk the ridges which can be frightening if you're not used to it.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Great trail. Please make sure you have proper instructions, as hikers without a lot of experience could easily get lost. Frogs head was cool, and also went down to see the longest rock shelter in the gorge on the back side. Loved this trail!!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

One of my favorite hikes in Red River Gorge. I would be wary to bring your pet up the staircase if they aren't used to climbing. I have a German Shepherd and she managed to get up but it was difficult in spots for her. Beautiful hike and beautiful views, just keep an eye out for the cliff edge.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Nice decent length trail. Few very cool spots off this one, including the frog head rock.

Monday, May 22, 2017

very nice view and fun rapel option

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

One of my favorite hikes at the gorge. If you're with someone who knows the trails you can make it a loop the goes up the staircase and around the ridge back to the parking area.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Great trail, my 1st trail when I started hiking in red river gorge in 2011! Awesome over look, worth the hike and not hard to find unmarked trail

Friday, March 31, 2017

Awesome trail. Easy to miss the right turn up the hill here it is not marked. Careful climbing this! Very rewarding at the top, I enjoyed the rock house/ waterfall just further along that same trail on past the staircase.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Try this shit in reverse. Makes fer a decent enough climb most espaecialy backpack stylie..

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Awesome camping areas at the top. Wonderful views at night.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

One of, if not my favorite place in the gorge. Use caution especially if conditions are wet.

Sunday, December 11, 2016