Horn Hollow Trail

Horn Hollow Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Olive Hill, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

bridge out

This hilly, but scenic trail takes you from the ridges into the streamless valley of Horn Hollow, where you see multiple cave entrances. This trail is especially rewarding during the spring wildflower season from April-May. Green blazes mark the trail.

Starts out across the parking lot from the visitor center building/gift shop, walk up the concrete steps and to the right, there will be a sign. The trail itself has quite a few ups and downs, we are fairly experienced hikers and feel this is morw moderate than easy. Several small caves and rock features with options to get permits for Horn Hollow and Laurel caves which are accessible along the trail. Fun, short hike that is fully shaded.

Great hike. There are a few steeper climbs but still enjoyable. A lot of beautiful sights and sounds packed into a short trail.

Great trail and views

One of the best hikes we've done! Stopped halfway to go explore in Horn Hollow Cave with our flashlights. Brings waterproof shoes if you're gonna explore the caves! But the trail itself is great, too. Will definitely be coming back. Easy for all ages.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Nice loop trail that starts right next to the Carter Caves visitors center. There is a part where it gets really steep right after you pass the sign to return to the visitors center, but it's worth it. I did this by myself with my chocolate lab and we had a good time!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Very beautiful! My husband and I have done the 3 Bridges and 4Cs several times. On this hike my husband kept saying that this shorter hike was his favorite and the most beautiful on the park. Lots of beautiful views of cave openings, rock formations and rocky creeks. It has a steep climb back uphill from the direction we started but it's not too difficult. I am overweight and trying to get back in shape - I had to stop and catch my breath a few times on climb back up, but a family with 2 kids under 6 hiked in front of us and they did great! Highly recommended if you don't have time for a long hike or just want to do a short one with the kids.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Thursday, April 21, 2016

This trail is a great little trail to acclimate ones self with nature, hiking and the great outdoors.

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Thursday, June 05, 2014

nice trail, some up and down and the trail was touch in spots but a nice loop

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Had a lot of fun on this trail, although it does get rather steep at the end it's to short to care. You pass by two caves which unfortunately were closed but going down and exploring around the entrance is always fun! I would suggest this because its short but has a good amount of things to see. Trail is clearly marked and most likely wont run into other hikers.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Thursday, June 20, 2013

This trail packs quite a punch in less than 2 miles (about 1.75 on my watch). You will be close to both Laurel Cave and Horn Hollow Cave along the way, and even though both are closed due to White Nose Syndrome, you can still explore around the entrances - Laurel Cave is especially captivating. (Sidenote: about 20+ years ago, my dad used to bring me and my two brothers and a couple of flashlights through that entire cave, and it is excellent. I really hope they reopen it so I can take my daughter in there to explore, too.) Anyway, this trail is exceptionally hilly, but it's short and sweet.

Friday, April 05, 2013