Horine Reservation Red Trail

Horine Reservation Red Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fairdale, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 531 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a very well maintained loop located in the Horine Reservation of Jefferson Memorial Forest. Just like all of the other trails within the forest, it has very clear trail markers with the trail itself being very well kept. The Red Trail is the longest loop with an optional shortcut 3.1 miles

the first 20 minutes of this trail kinda sucks.

Nice hike close to home.

very enjoyable hike

Some sun finally!

Nice trail and well marked.

Lots of ice storm damage by the recent storm but overall very good. Would do again

Well marked and nice balance of different types of terrain.

Ran this trail today for the first time and even though it had rained the day before, the trail was very manageable with not a lot of muddy spots. Beautiful trail under a nice canopy of trees. I can highly recommend it.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Loved this trail! Clean wide path with easy to see blazes. 2 spots of steep elevation that made me sweat:) the park is nice with plenty of restrooms, water and trash cans. Shady spot with picnic tables at trail head for lunch afterwards.

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Well marked with a good balance of level and elevated terrain.

Monday, April 23, 2018

Moderate trail with a couple hills worth a couple hours of hiking.

Friday, April 13, 2018

Great trail, moderate skill level,bring plenty of water the inclines on a hot day will leave you parched.

Sunday, April 08, 2018

Nice, quality hike. Not very challenging, elevation gains aren’t too severe.

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Really enjoyable hike. It was a bit muddy in spots from all of the rain but still safe

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Awesome hike! Very muddy after a big rain. Took the shortcut which had one big climb.

Friday, March 02, 2018

A great loop, pretty easy except for one valley that’s a little steep.

Friday, February 09, 2018

great loop trail, two decent size hills, love walking it with my dog. Keep your eyes open for trail markers and its great seeing the valley floor.

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Really enjoyed this trail. Nice views. Well kept. Clean and very quiet.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Relatively flat except for the two huge climbs. They’ll let you know how out of shape you are. Beautiful views though.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Great workout with several incline/declines. We hiked in the snow...glad we brought our poles!

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Beautiful winter hike close to Louisville.

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Excellent trail! Well-maintained with lots of opportunity to challenge yourself physically (...were a few moderately steep hills!). My girlfriend and I were to do the Guided Winter Hike scheduled for today...missed the “meet-up” spot....Red Trail is what we did by ourselves. Admittedly there were a couple of spots where it would’ve been nice to have markers indicating that it’s the Red Trail, but there were dots spray-painted on trees! All-in-all, a FANTASTIC trail!!! What a lovely treasure right in the heart of South Louisville!!! ❤️

Saturday, December 09, 2017

I’d say this trail is good for beginners. Me and a few buddies recently got into hiking and this is the first one we did. The two hills will test you a bit but otherwise it’s pretty easy going and great for someone who is just getting started!

Monday, December 04, 2017

Good trail, we did get a little confused in 2 spots on what way they sign was pointing 2. But other than that it was a good hike.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Well-marked wooded trail through gentle hills with a creek crossing. We took the shortcut due to time constraints. A very worthwhile and enjoyable couple-hour hike.

Friday, November 03, 2017

This trail (red trail) was my first experience hiking a few years ago. A friend and I had the idea of a short after dinner hike. We started out completely unprepared to walk anywhere. 6 pm start with no flashlights, water, food, cell phone, nothing. That 4 hour hike to finally find our car in the dark was a very unpleasant experience. That sparked my interest in being properly prepared for my next trip. I have now learned that lesson and now only hike when within my abilities and preparedness. Since then I have hiked this trail twice with great times to report.

Sunday, October 29, 2017