Horine Reservation Red Trail

Horine Reservation Red Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fairdale, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a very well maintained loop located in the Horine Reservation of Jefferson Memorial Forest. Just like all of the other trails within the forest, it has very clear trail markers with the trail itself being very well kept. The Red Trail is the longest loop with an optional shortcut 3.1 miles

Ran this trail today for the first time and even though it had rained the day before, the trail was very manageable with not a lot of muddy spots. Beautiful trail under a nice canopy of trees. I can highly recommend it.

Loved this trail! Clean wide path with easy to see blazes. 2 spots of steep elevation that made me sweat:) the park is nice with plenty of restrooms, water and trash cans. Shady spot with picnic tables at trail head for lunch afterwards.

Well marked with a good balance of level and elevated terrain.

Moderate trail with a couple hills worth a couple hours of hiking.

Great trail, moderate skill level,bring plenty of water the inclines on a hot day will leave you parched.

Nice, quality hike. Not very challenging, elevation gains aren’t too severe.

Really enjoyable hike. It was a bit muddy in spots from all of the rain but still safe

Awesome hike! Very muddy after a big rain. Took the shortcut which had one big climb.

A great loop, pretty easy except for one valley that’s a little steep.

great loop trail, two decent size hills, love walking it with my dog. Keep your eyes open for trail markers and its great seeing the valley floor.

Really enjoyed this trail. Nice views. Well kept. Clean and very quiet.

Relatively flat except for the two huge climbs. They’ll let you know how out of shape you are. Beautiful views though.

Great workout with several incline/declines. We hiked in the snow...glad we brought our poles!

Beautiful winter hike close to Louisville.

Excellent trail! Well-maintained with lots of opportunity to challenge yourself physically (...were a few moderately steep hills!). My girlfriend and I were to do the Guided Winter Hike scheduled for today...missed the “meet-up” spot....Red Trail is what we did by ourselves. Admittedly there were a couple of spots where it would’ve been nice to have markers indicating that it’s the Red Trail, but there were dots spray-painted on trees! All-in-all, a FANTASTIC trail!!! What a lovely treasure right in the heart of South Louisville!!! ❤️

I’d say this trail is good for beginners. Me and a few buddies recently got into hiking and this is the first one we did. The two hills will test you a bit but otherwise it’s pretty easy going and great for someone who is just getting started!

Good trail, we did get a little confused in 2 spots on what way they sign was pointing 2. But other than that it was a good hike.

Well-marked wooded trail through gentle hills with a creek crossing. We took the shortcut due to time constraints. A very worthwhile and enjoyable couple-hour hike.

This trail (red trail) was my first experience hiking a few years ago. A friend and I had the idea of a short after dinner hike. We started out completely unprepared to walk anywhere. 6 pm start with no flashlights, water, food, cell phone, nothing. That 4 hour hike to finally find our car in the dark was a very unpleasant experience. That sparked my interest in being properly prepared for my next trip. I have now learned that lesson and now only hike when within my abilities and preparedness. Since then I have hiked this trail twice with great times to report.

Nice trail. Well marked.

The trail is half fire road and winds past campgrounds. There’s a couple of tame creek crossings along with short but mean climbs.

A very nice 2 hour stroll in the woods.

Great little trail for a hike. Trail was in good shape and as others have pointed out, there are several up-hills that will get your heart beating faster. Went on a Saturday and saw maybe 6 people total hiking. Have a gripe - love dogs, I have a 4-legged hiking buddy myself. But people, keep your dogs on a lead. Came up on 2 couples at different time whose dogs were not under control. Rules are in place for a reason folks. For all of us. Follow them or as the posting at the park states - they will just ban dogs altogether on the trails. Sad for those of us who hike responsibly. Other than that, great hike beneath the canopy of the forest.

Started at welcome center, followed Yost trail to Mitchell Hill trail to Red Loop and back, total was 8.5 miles. Beautiful area. Trail was in very good condition, even with very heavy rain the day before. Trail is pretty smooth, so easy hiking. Had 3 big climbs, which were pretty steep, 1079 ft total climbing. Did miss one turn, and went a few hundred yards before we realized had gone the wrong way (trail looks like it goes straight, but actually turns, need sign). Also, a little annoying and confusing walking through the zip line area near the welcome center. So, great hike, close to Louisville, a couple minor complaints, but definitely worth doing, and will do again.

my first time on it so it was a little challenging.

Friday, August 11, 2017

A nice, fun trail that has some challenging sections. The first two miles are deceptively easy running, but just at two miles you hit a big descent and it gets harder. Pair this with the Orange trail (that has a lovely evergreen section) and Mitchell Hill and you have a nice and varied 8 mile run. I'd say that this trail is easier than both Scotts Gap and Siltstone.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Nice little trail that can be challenging up the hills. I just wish it was marked a little better but other than that it's great.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Loved it. Red trail Is a great workout with beautiful views. Some spots on far west loop very steep and winding. I will do it again.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Great trail in May some areas steep, nice creeks. Good views over looking hollers, this trail is aka red trail which also meets the orange trail. Both can be accessed from campgrounds.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Great trail with 2 rather steep climbs. Much of the trail is along beautiful ridges with good views when the trees are bare.