Horine Reservation Red Trail

Horine Reservation Red Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fairdale, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a very well maintained loop located in the Horine Reservation of Jefferson Memorial Forest. Just like all of the other trails within the forest, it has very clear trail markers with the trail itself being very well kept. The Red Trail is the longest loop with an optional shortcut 3.1 miles

This trail (red trail) was my first experience hiking a few years ago. A friend and I had the idea of a short after dinner hike. We started out completely unprepared to walk anywhere. 6 pm start with no flashlights, water, food, cell phone, nothing. That 4 hour hike to finally find our car in the dark was a very unpleasant experience. That sparked my interest in being properly prepared for my next trip. I have now learned that lesson and now only hike when within my abilities and preparedness. Since then I have hiked this trail twice with great times to report.

Nice trail. Well marked.

The trail is half fire road and winds past campgrounds. There’s a couple of tame creek crossings along with short but mean climbs.

A very nice 2 hour stroll in the woods.

Great little trail for a hike. Trail was in good shape and as others have pointed out, there are several up-hills that will get your heart beating faster. Went on a Saturday and saw maybe 6 people total hiking. Have a gripe - love dogs, I have a 4-legged hiking buddy myself. But people, keep your dogs on a lead. Came up on 2 couples at different time whose dogs were not under control. Rules are in place for a reason folks. For all of us. Follow them or as the posting at the park states - they will just ban dogs altogether on the trails. Sad for those of us who hike responsibly. Other than that, great hike beneath the canopy of the forest.

Started at welcome center, followed Yost trail to Mitchell Hill trail to Red Loop and back, total was 8.5 miles. Beautiful area. Trail was in very good condition, even with very heavy rain the day before. Trail is pretty smooth, so easy hiking. Had 3 big climbs, which were pretty steep, 1079 ft total climbing. Did miss one turn, and went a few hundred yards before we realized had gone the wrong way (trail looks like it goes straight, but actually turns, need sign). Also, a little annoying and confusing walking through the zip line area near the welcome center. So, great hike, close to Louisville, a couple minor complaints, but definitely worth doing, and will do again.

my first time on it so it was a little challenging.

A nice, fun trail that has some challenging sections. The first two miles are deceptively easy running, but just at two miles you hit a big descent and it gets harder. Pair this with the Orange trail (that has a lovely evergreen section) and Mitchell Hill and you have a nice and varied 8 mile run. I'd say that this trail is easier than both Scotts Gap and Siltstone.

Nice little trail that can be challenging up the hills. I just wish it was marked a little better but other than that it's great.