Honker Lake Trail

Honker Lake Trail is a 5.4 mile loop trail located near Kuttawa, Kentucky that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice variety of terrain and views of the lake. Recent storm left a lot of debris on the trails.

If you are looking for a trail with some small hills, and by water- I would recommend this trail! about 5 miles long, good for a walk/run. after a rainy period, be aware that it does flood in some places.

Gorgeous views in the spring and summer. The lotus blooms across the water make the lake so pretty. Watch out for snakes as I have seen some in the area. You can kayak and canoe here as well but you have to reserve your boat at the nature center register on the hill above.

Great trail. Bringing a fishing pole next time!

Great trail with nice views. When hiked back in the summer noticed seed ticks so be prepared. Well

Absolutely loved this trail!!! The scenery was awesome and we even saw a deer! Can’t wait to do it again.

Easy trail. Was great to be close to the lake.
I'd do it again!

Trail has a lot to offer beautiful flowers spider lilys and the lotus on lake is in full bloom now. Lakes gives welcome breeze when walking over dam. Easy long stroll about 2 hours to finish, only person on trail was naturalist talking of cottonmouth he saw that got my heart rate up close to area I was standing. Fun trail!!

Easy loop hike for all ages, crosses a couple bridges, lots of neat flora and trees here as well. Walking between the two lakes is a very windy but peaceful experience.

Great trail with scenic views and tranquility. Easy for kids too!

This is a beautiful trail. I enjoyed the birds, deer and the pretty lake views. I did wish for some benches along the way.

Great hike. Beautiful, peaceful

This is one of my favorites. There is a steep spot with loose footing. There is wood on either side of the trail there to use to bear crawl up. If going down that side, I tend to crab walk/scoot down on my butt as opposed to risk falling halfway through.

Great place to take kids, easy trail different types of nature you have the lake and wooded areas. Tons of birds and great views of Eagles. Wonderful yellow flowers everywhere. All around wonderful great place.

Close to home and peaceful

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Just did this trail today. We chose it because it said it was over 5 miles. When I tracked it on my phone, it said it was 4.7 miles instead. Most of the trail is in the forested area. About halfway through the lake will be on either side of you which is lovely. The trail is not paved and is marked with white diamonds on the trees. Overall, I will be coming back again.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Wife and I did this trail a couple weekends ago. Enjoyed. Seen lots of birds and quite a bit of beaver activity.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Loved this trail! Plenty of forest, wildlife and lake views.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Wife and I rocked this trail in 1:45 with some stops for pics and such. It's in great fall shape and the colors are remarkable.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Enjoyed a great hike at Honker Lake.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Great 2 hour hike

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Great trail, we'll marked. Nice variety in scenery.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great hike! Good for a family day hike. Trail is well maintained and marked. The beach at the dam makes a great stop for a break an snack, you can even swim there if you're not afraid of the muddy water.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Great trail, lots of fun!

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

The Honker trail is about 5ish miles long. You can park in the Woodlands Nature Station to walk either. We didn't explore the nature center, except for using the bathroom there. It's like 5 bucks to go into the station, and they've got some different animals for you to look at.

Anyway, back the Honker trail. We started the trail on the north side of the nature station. If you walk this way, you will wonder where the lake is. It will take a while before you come upon the Honker lake and Barkley lake. You will get to walk on the dam that separates the two lakes. The trail isn't too hard. There are some hills but the trail is pretty level. You could bike this I guess, however there are some steps to go up and down. Once you get past the long dam, you'll be in a parking lot for a fishing area, if you walk up the road a little, you'll find the trail that continues.

You might want to be mindful of the rainfall. We walked the trail after it rained a couple days before. The bridge that is near the south start was almost flooded, the creek that goes underneath it was spilling onto the trail in front of the bridge. The views on the trail are great though. It's really a great place to view nature, however we didn't see much wildlife except a few squirrels.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Great trail for a crisp winter day. However, the trail over the lake was washed out, had to turn around. Ended up being a 7.65 mile hike.

Monday, November 09, 2015

Went yesterday and had a wonderful time. Saw quite a few herons. I was hoping for some eagles, but didn't see any. Maybe next time.

Friday, July 18, 2014

a nice trail...might take 2 hours or more- goes through some nice stands of big trees with good views of the lakes...crosses the lake and ends up near the Nature Station. This area, also including the Hematite Trail, is one of the nicest ares in LBL

Monday, December 16, 2013

I have hiked here twice in the last few weeks. Easy wide trail and lots to see. Circles behind the Nature Station. Saw two eagles and heard lots of wildlife. Will do it again.