Green River Bluffs Trail

Green River Bluffs Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mammoth Cave, Kentucky that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A point to point trail going from the picnic area down to the Green River along the bluffs.

Very scenic, well marked and maintained. Not too strenuous. Challenging, but not intimidating. Did the Violet City Cave tour in the afternoon!!! Great Day!

Trail was in good condition. Several benches along the way if you need to rest, as well as overlooks with nicely constructed decks and walkways.

Trail in very good condition, trees provide ample shad and some nice views of the green river. Elevation changes pretty easy to manage.

very pretty trail

My husband and I took our pit bull and Bassett with us on this trip. It was a good hike, especially for dogs!

Wasn't too difficult and had a beautiful overlook on the trail.

Hiked this trail late May and it was absolutely beautiful! It was very well kept and was marked well. The loop has many places where you can cut the hike short and head to the visitor center. We did a 4.25 mile hike in the morning and caught a cave tour in the afternoon.

I started at the trailhead near the picnic area and looped into the River Styx Trail. I was planning on looping into the Dixon Trail and back again for one big loop but my dog was getting tired! The trail itself is really nice and easily manageable, lots of pretty scenery, and not too strenuous. I went later in the afternoon and it wasn't highly trafficked which I prefer. My dog thought it was awesome! Hope to complete the full loop between the three trails next time!

We went at 6:30, and didn't see another person until we we're within view of the visitor center. It was the first "real" trail for our kids (ages 8 and 5), and they loved it! Their favorite part was seeing the wildlife. We counted 16 deer, 3 turkeys, 1 turtle, and numerous creepy-crawlies including snakes (only 2), spiders, and caterpillars. There were plenty of gorgeous spots to take breaks, and the challenging portions were just long enough to build their endurance but short enough to keep their interest (and the whining that accompanies being 5) at bay. It was an easy family hike, and we can't wait to return.

Nice almost 5 mile loop plenty to look at areas of interest to deviate off the path.

Interesting trail that you can customize with other trails to make a loop. A cave and overlooks highlight this trail.

Monday, June 12, 2017

This loop consists of numerous trails, and it offers a nice tour of Mammoth Cave's surface features, which include Mammoth Dome sink, two large springs (outflows for cave water), and Green River views. Starts at the Visitor Center, so nice hike to take while you are waiting for a cave tour.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Not great, a lot of climbing for no views of the river. Eco springs trail was more enjoyable.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I hiked this trail 4/22/17 on my way back to IN. Well marked, nice inclines. The view from the scenic outlook was amazing. It was raining when I was there so everything was a vibrant green. Definitely worth the detour off of 65N.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

This trail is pretty nice- I showed up around 9 am to try and beat the trail traffic and was mostly successful. Beautiful trail for a jog but you'll be tempted to stop to take it in quite often.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Great trail with nice views of the green river. Great for elevation gains.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Great Trail! Hiked it in January and there were many great views I couldn't have seen if there had been leaves on the trees. Make sure you look at Dixon Cave when you're hiking it! Later in the trail, you'll see more and more of the river. Would heartily recommend to anyone in the park!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Combine it with the River Styx Spring Trail to create a relatively easy loop from the Mammoth Cave NP Visitor Center. You can follow the trail all the way out along the river and return by way of the picnic area and cottages, or cut it short by returning past the Dixon Cave entrance.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Very nice trail for my kids and myself. My boys are 8 years old and 6 years old. Nice dirt trail in a wooded forest. One side of the trail has a steep incline so you may need to be careful with children. The trail itself has some steep declines and inclines, but overall a nice hike in the woods!

Monday, July 04, 2016

it was a great day hike for the family.

Monday, July 04, 2016

We did this trail as a family and had a lot of fun. Takes you down hill to the Green river from near the visitors center. We enjoyed the river and two springs down at the bottom. We made this a loop by coming back on the sink hole dome trail. In total it was about 4 miles. It was interesting to see the sink hole because the next day we took the historic cave tour and came up directly underneath that spot.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Very pretty and pretty easy.

Monday, June 06, 2016

the trail is well maintained! It was a nice hike!

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

We did about half of this trail. I really liked it. Very steep in some spots, beautiful views of the river, lots of cave openings and springs to see. I thought the River Styx was really neat. Going in midsummer was obviously very hot though.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Great views of river in winter without leaves on the trees. Some great stopping points for pictures along the way.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Beautiful trail - even in the winter. Some tough uphill parts, but pretty easy to moderate. Can enter other trails throughout this hike as well.

Monday, July 06, 2015

Clean, quiet, and the camp store is relatively close. Nice place!

Thursday, July 31, 2014

nice easy hike...some strenuous uphills but not for long...beautiful view of Green River and it sandbars and of the high ridges along the river...some nice bottomland mature sycamores and beech trees down by the river banks...

Sunday, December 30, 2012

You travel high up on the bluffs over the Green River. I went in December and given the lack of foliage, you could see expansive views across the river and down to the river.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Campgrounds well maintained. nice wooded sites. Many recreational activities in the area.