Learn more

Green River Bluff, Echo River Springs, Sinkhole and Heritage Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(205)
Mammoth Cave National Park

Green River Bluff, Echo River Springs, Sinkhole and Heritage Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mammoth Cave, Kentucky that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 557 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

A loop trail going from the picnic area down to the Green River along the bluffs.

Beautiful hike...breathtaking views. Saw a Northern Copperhead and Timber Rattlesnake. Paths were wide open and well maintained.

Awesome but relatively rough for us but enjoyed no doubt. Trails were clear, steap and rocky in places. Just the way we like it.

This is trail running nirvana. Definitely will be back.

Nice maintained trail. Beautiful spring day. Lots of green moss and blooming flowers.

nice trail, pretty easy

Decent trail, nice view of the Green River.

Great hike for dogs. My dog loved it. It could be a little long but if you follow the map and signs it’s not too bad. There are restrooms a little more than halfway by a parking lot. Will definitely come back again.

I hiked this loop a couple of days before Christmas, so winter is in full swing. No leaves are on the trees so the views of the ridges and Green River was perfect. Started at the trailhead just off the Visitor's Center parking lot and headed down the well marked trail. The trail has many large tree roots and plenty of large rocks, but nothing too strenuous as this is one of the easier trails south of the river. Very beautiful views of the ridge lines and forest make this a very enjoyable hike down to the river. The trail has an overlook of the Green River as it turns and parallels down to the southern bank. It ends at a junction where a hiker can turn up back towards the Visitor's Center at approximately 1.9 miles. Using the Echo Springs trailhead, I passed over the River Styx overlook and hiked to the Springs before turning back and taking the Mammoth Sink trail back to the Visitor Center. Overall my hike measured approximately 4.2 miles. I recommend hiking this in the winter for the views and the solitude, as these trails are very populous during the summer tourist season.

Like previous reviews, this trail loops you around and joins most all the trails near the visitor center. I went around most all of them this afternoon and it came out to be about 9 miles. Outstanding views of many of the parks features and the deer will walk very close to you, Got some great pictures! Be sure to work your way to Sunset Point near sunset. Plenty of rock formations and forest to view.

Did this trail as depicted in the map. It ends up being more than just the Green River Bluffs trail and you link together the outer parts of just about all the trails near the visitor center as you stay on the perimeter before coming back in at the end. Overall, a great network of trails and nothing too difficult. You get a few great vistas of the Green River, you walk through a ton of beautiful foliage and trees, and you only climb a couple hundred feet up. Great way to knock out most of the trails near the visitor center in one fell swoop without missing much.

Very nice network of trails. Pretty scenery. Went at 4pm on a Wednesday in early October and practically had the trail to myself, only saw one other couple. If you’re looking at it for a place to get in a trail run, like I was... Probably better for a slower/moderate jog rather than the run I’d hoped for, but still enjoyable. A good bit of elevation change, and rocky, stumpy paths are reason for a cautious pace. I ran the first mile in about 9:30, which felt about as fast as I could safely run, but it was much slower the rest of the way. Just set your expectations accordingly!

Beautiful trail. Nice and shaded in summer. It was heavily trafficked and I did not linger on the gorgeous views in some areas because I was hiking fast to outpace large families with loud children.

Great trail. Would love to hike again after a rain when the water level is up. Saw dry areas where water might flow down the mountain after a good rain! Loved the River Styx cave opening.

33 weeks pregnant, very moderate, very possible. 3.5 mi in 2 hours. very worth it end of August.

The trail was really well maintained and well marked. The springs were pretty and bluffs were cool. If you’re staying at the campground, White Cave Trail connects the campground to the southern part of the loop to avoid walking to the Visitors Center to start the hike.

Great trail! A lot of variety here from smooth dirt to rocky, rooty trails. Mid summer so not a whole lot of great views of the Green River, although there are 2 or 3. Several hils to climb with medium grades, all different from easy, straight up but relentless to high grade with multiple switchbacks. I would rate the whole loop as easy to low moderate. Low moderate only because of the inclines that can be a bit technical. The trail changes from dirt, to rocky, gravel to paved paths several times. Lots of bridges and scenic overlooks and places to sit down. Although it's July, it wasn't hot with the tree cover. It was maybe 83F and I started at 930am. The "loop" actually includes several trails that connect, you hop on one after the other. If you are using this app you will be fine to find your way around the loop. The trail signs are there but can be confusing. The paper map is handy but not real helpful. Not like this app, which I pulled out often to see where I was and then at trail crossings to see which way to go. Take the little out and back scenic legs when you have them. Saw 20 or so people, most I saw over and over again. I had no problems with anyone or had any issues with the trail itself. Saw 2 turkeys a mile in from the"Bluffs" trailhead and later a flatback millipede but not much else. There are several streams and creeks to refill your water filter if you carry one. I carried two 500ml smart water bottles and my Sawyer mini. I only drank 1 bottle. Next time I plan to take one 500 ml smart water and my Sawyer water bottle. I will do the entire loop again and again. Especially in the fall and winter! Make sure to stretch those hamstrings before you push up those hills! Took a week for my right hamstring to recover

Very beautiful out here, you get a few really nice views of Green River with some nice altitude changes. It’s mostly in the woods, so that was a real blessing on this hot July afternoon. Speaking of heat, definitely don’t wear jeans like my hiking buddy did- you want to be able to move. Good shoes are a must, otherwise you’ll probably twist a few ankles and have a few stumbles. I’m really looking forward to coming back out here in the fall so I can see the leaves!

We did this trail on a HOT July day. It was shaded for much of the hike. For the most part very wide maintained trails. Lots of history along the way. Overall a very entertaining hike.

This was a great way to do most of the trails near the visitor center. There was a ton of variety in features and it supplemented a trip into the caves perfectly. It’s mostly shaded so even on a 90 degree day, I wasn’t too uncomfortable.

Wed Jun 26 2019

Just gorgeous and green. Didn't do the whole thing, but got far enough to get a good feel for it. Lots of mud down by the river's edge.

Mon Jun 24 2019

Great trail with a good amount of variety, on the easier side of moderate. Well worth doing if your in MCNP

Tue Jun 18 2019

A great trail because you can make it as long or short as you want. Lots of different things to see and the views are beautiful. Didn’t come across anybody on the trail but I was also on the trail early.

Thu Jun 13 2019

Pretty easy trail with plenty of opportunities to get off trail and explore. The historical and informative signs were a nice surprise. It was around 90 degrees when I went but the majority of the trail is covered by shade so it wasn’t an issue.

Sun Jun 09 2019

Visited today, perfect day to explore. Great distance and terrain for kids- aged 4 and 14.

Sat May 25 2019

Nice hike through the woods along the river.

Mon May 20 2019

We liked this trail, beginning and ending at the lodge for breakfast. Moderate is accurate, pretty level but there are some inclines. Clean and quiet, nice overlook as a reward. Recommended.

Sun May 19 2019

A great trail with a lot to see...sink holes, cave entrances, limestone formations, overlooks...doesn't disappoint. We did the trail on a Sunday, very few people except when we were around the visitor center.

Tue May 14 2019

My son and I had a great hike for Mother's Day. Beautiful views of Green River.

Sun Apr 21 2019

Great views. Wonderful foliage and wild flowers. I highly recommend the trail