Flat Lick Falls Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(91)
Daniel Boone National Forest

Flat Lick Falls Trail is a 1.0 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near McKee, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 km Elevation Gain: 20 m Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

cave

partially paved

closed

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19.

Do not go. It is closed. We drove over an hour and found out the hard way. All entrances are blocked to keep the public out.

I loved this. Jumped off the falls and it was absolutely amazing. Water was chilly but definitely thrilling. Definitely going back

Beautiful day for a short hike! Several families there today enjoying the sun.

Awesome day. Muddy but great and beautiful as always. Highly recommend

a great little hike I really enjoyed myself and loved the falls

recorded Flat Lick Falls Trail

Great trail for the whole family to enjoy or just as a solo outing walking the dog. Plentiful parking and easy access with paved trail. Main viewing area is enclosed by rails so safe access for children and pets. Visit was after a heavy rain the night before so the falls were flowing great. Prime example of the beauty that the area has to offer!

Loved it. Great place to cool off. Don't understand why it doesn't show I completed the trail but I did record it.

never been there yet but what every one is saying it must be a beatiful place to to go ....so i so i dont have much to say yet ,,,UNTIL I ADVENTURE I MEAN GO THERE ,,I WILL LET EVERYONE NO HOW IT IS AN WHAT ITS LIKE ......UNTILL THEN I BE BACK...

5 star place for kids and family. found out there is a large covered pavilion, very clean bathrooms, washrooms, toilets and showers. parking is easy. Great for all day use. See pics of facilities that I uploaded. took kids only 50 yards in to see upper falls. heavy rain prevented us from travelling down to the falls. kids were too young.

Easy trail and the view was nice.

The falls are really nice with paved path to an observation area, but there's not much in the way of a trail or hiking.

Super easy but we love it! My girls enjoy playing in the water and we always spend some time at the bottom of the falls. Great quick walk and pretty too!

Sat May 25 2019

Fri May 24 2019

We had a really good time when we came here, we did lots of creek walking, just kept following the creek and came across some really beautiful spots! We were there for hours only headed back because it was going to get dark, I can’t wait to go back. The waterfall is beautiful but walking in the creek was waaaayyy better.

Tue May 07 2019

Great place for a picnic, very peaceful and relaxing. Lots of picnic tables and very nice restrooms. Beautiful place!

Mon Apr 29 2019

This place is wheelchair accessible it is an amazing hike , great picnic area and the very short hike to the top of the falls where the Overlook is at, if you go to the right behind the Overlook the trail leaves around if you follow the rock facing left if you go to the left side of the Overlook you can walk right across the very top of the waterfall and go down to where you can walk behind it you can get down to the bottom from there it is full of rock cliffs the trail at the bottom across the bridge which loops over to join the trail from above the Overlook leads to other trails Which I have yet to hike fully they branch off and go through in a round rock faces there are little cave holes and different trails the farther you hike. I would recommend if you plan to hike wear boots copperhead snakes have been known down the trail in this area but if you’re just going to climb down to the waterfall you should bring water shoes and swim trunks if it’s warm weather and plan to get in some people jump off the waterfall from the middle section, it is not advised but I’ve seen several people do it.

Tue Apr 23 2019

I would not call it a hike but it has a beautiful waterfall on it. Very quiet the morning I was there but kids were playing on the top of the falls and I did not hang a round as I thought they were foolish. Worth viewing .

Tue Apr 16 2019

To everyone saying the trail is all paved, IT IS NOT. The paved section is for an overlook, but the actual trail diverges toward the left, down a rock face with carved foot/hand holds, and across the top of the falls. There is a sign up at the trail head. Be warned, the actual trail can be strenuous at times and goes well past the falls themselves. There is a bridge at a further point down the trail to assist in crossing the stream, but that’s about it as far as accessibility goes. It’s a gorgeous area that I frequent. Please, consider the environment and your fellow hikers. Leave only footprints and take only pictures.

Tue Apr 16 2019

So short it’s barely a trail. All paved, to the overlook, at least. Sights are gorgeous, though. My 3 year old absolutely loved it! I would definitely recommend for anyone with kids or older adults. Going off of the trail to get on and below the falls was incredible.

Mon Mar 18 2019

Falls were really pretty, but trail was short and paved. Overly developed.

Mon Feb 18 2019

very easy and extremely short Trail I wouldn't even call that a hike! love that it was paved and if you had somebody in a wheelchair definitely could go visit here. I went in the rain and it was especially full and flowing, beautiful.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Beautiful area

Wed Jan 02 2019

Easy hike with a beautiful waterfall. We passed the overlook of the falls and went thru the woods to come down on the other side of the falls. Neat little "cave" area down there. Definitely worth checking out if you live near the area.

Fri Oct 05 2018

This little spot is great!! It wasn’t too slippery when we went, but it had been dry a couple days. They have a gravel parking lot with bathrooms and some raised camping spots with grills by the creek. If you follow the paved trail to the overlook platform there’s a little sort of hidden trail to the right of it, you can go that way to go down to the bottom of the falls. There are overhangs, a big cave type thing, some cool little trails and creek spots. Swimming would be great in warmer weather. There’s another way down to the bottom if you cross the creek at the top of the falls and scramble down the hill to the bottom. If you’re good on your feet you can also access the little cave behind the falls too. Overall, it’s a tiny trail if you stay on the paved bit, but if you explore past that it’s a great spot to take pictures and look at different flora and the water and some cool rocks! We ran out of time so we will definitely be back. (Follow the GPS to Flat Lick Falls, it’ll say you’re gonna park and walk to the destination but it takes you to the parking lot. It can be sketchy looking if you take battlefield hwy directions, the 421 directions are much less sketchy looking)

Fri Aug 17 2018

very nice trail! for sure worth the short hike! don't forget your swimsuit because there's a nice swimming hole at the bottom.

Tue Aug 14 2018

We absolutely loved this trail and the falls was amazing. The first part of the trail is blacktop till you get to the observation deck at which point you can look down to see the waterfall. We then took the dirt trail- which is not marked, you have to leave the observation deck and head back where you came from. In a short distance you will see a dirt trail to your left, not hard to find but you have to look for it. From there this will lead you down to the bottom of the falls. There are lots of big rocks you have to walk down on which was kind of tricky for us since we had our 2 and 3 yr olds in tow but was doable. At one point you will cross a wooden bridge with the creek underneath, very pretty. As you keep walking you will also pass a small cave which was pretty cool. Once at the falls you can swim at the bottom or wade in the water. Lots of large rocks and bolders. The falls is so much more beautiful in person, I wanted to stay there forever taking pictures. We visited this trail on a Monday so we saw a total of 4 people. There is a large covered picnic pavilion and really nice bathrooms. We saw maybe 4 campsites but there could have been more. Would definitely go back if close to the area. This trail is about 45 - 50 mins from Natural Bridge State Park which is also really nice.

Fri Aug 03 2018

Beautiful

Sun Jul 22 2018

Totally beautiful. I went after 2 days of some good rains (mid-July)and the water was rushing wonderfully. The paved trail is nice, but shorter than I like so I took the dirt trail that goes down the Creek a little ways. At the turn around point it is a little hard to find the trail again. If you put your back towards the water the Continuing trail is ahead of you slightly to the right. It almost doesn't even look like a trail for about 30', which is why it's hard to see. (thin and overgrown a bit) There is a large concrete slab just to the right of the trail to help you mark it. Once you go down that way there is actually a bridge that goes across the Creek. It takes you off of the trail maps trail but it follows along side the Creek up to the bottom of the falls just the same but it has an actual path you could walk on instead of having to go through the water for part of the time. The part of the hike off of the paved trail was amazing. Lots of cliff overhangs and beautiful scenery. It was mostly shaded and a very cool walk. You do actually have to follow the trail back and around to pick backup on the trail maps trail and get back to the paved trail. I had cell service the whole way. (Verizon) Definitely go!