First Creek Trail

First Creek Trail is a 3.6 mile loop trail located near Mammoth Cave, Kentucky that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Really nice camp site

Was not able to make it to the trail since we were coming from the south and the ferry was closed. Wasn't sure how else to get to the trail so we went to the trails by the mammoth cave national park visitor center.

I expected the trail to be torn up from horses but not near to the extent that it was. It also seemed excessively unmaintained considering how mamy trees were down on the trail. only once I hiked past the first creek campsites did the trail finally start to seem in reasonable condition. so I wouldn't have to hike back through all that I ended up taking Hutchin ferry rd back up to first creek trail head. about 15 ft from the trail head I saw a small copperhead, and then on houchin ferry rd I found a large timber rattlesnake that had been ran over.

We had AT&T cell service throughout this trail, and at Campsite A. There were quite a few muddy spots on the trail, and it was 1 person width in some areas with tall vegetation on either side.

Part of a 21 mile loop I hiked starting at First Creek parking lot.
First night: Stayed at First Creek campsite B
Walked to McCoy Hollow Trail
Second Night: Stayed at McCoy Hollow Campsite
Walked to Wet Prong Trail and connected back at the parking lot.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Horrible trail!!! Made impassible by horse traffic, mud everywhere even though it had not rained in a very long time. Small neat water fall and a few interesting rock outcroppings but nothing more to view. If you aren't a horseback rider avoid this trail at all costs.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Monday, April 04, 2016

it's a shared use trail with horses, so much of the trail was like a swamp.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Monday, August 09, 2010

This is one of my favorite trips in mammoth cave. Plenty of rock formations as you descend to Nolan River. There are 3 campsites around 1st Creek Lake. If you are looking for solitude at this park hike on the West side of the park. Avoid the horse bogs.