First Creek Lake Trail

First Creek Lake Trail is a 3.6 mile loop trail located near Mammoth Cave, Kentucky that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 521 feet Route Type: Loop

Trail shared with horses easy trail had one spot where one of my socks got covered with turkey mites or small ticks

Actually did 4.98 miles, dry, hot, shared with horses. Several interlocking trails.

My prettier half and I walked the First Creek trail. It was pretty muddy but not too bad. It’s mainly all a downhill trail. If cardio isn’t your thing, have fun on the way back up. We did some fishing. Crappie were biting. The bass weren’t. We are definitely going back to camp. Loved this trail.

Love this trail! May 5 and it had been raining the couple days before, it was muddy but nothing too sloppy, we walked down to the water, tried to catch some of the bluegill we could see in the water, and hiked back up. Didn’t do the full loop but it was a good hike! We will definitely be back to do the full trail! The trail is very clear even with the plants growing like crazy! Wild ferns everywhere! I love it!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Really nice camp site

Friday, September 08, 2017

Was not able to make it to the trail since we were coming from the south and the ferry was closed. Wasn't sure how else to get to the trail so we went to the trails by the mammoth cave national park visitor center.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

I expected the trail to be torn up from horses but not near to the extent that it was. It also seemed excessively unmaintained considering how mamy trees were down on the trail. only once I hiked past the first creek campsites did the trail finally start to seem in reasonable condition. so I wouldn't have to hike back through all that I ended up taking Hutchin ferry rd back up to first creek trail head. about 15 ft from the trail head I saw a small copperhead, and then on houchin ferry rd I found a large timber rattlesnake that had been ran over.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

We had AT&T cell service throughout this trail, and at Campsite A. There were quite a few muddy spots on the trail, and it was 1 person width in some areas with tall vegetation on either side.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Part of a 21 mile loop I hiked starting at First Creek parking lot. First night: Stayed at First Creek campsite B Walked to McCoy Hollow Trail Second Night: Stayed at McCoy Hollow Campsite Walked to Wet Prong Trail and connected back at the parking lot. https://faithdeblistered.wordpress.com/2017/01/04/mammoth-cave-first-creek-loop/

Monday, June 13, 2016

Horrible trail!!! Made impassible by horse traffic, mud everywhere even though it had not rained in a very long time. Small neat water fall and a few interesting rock outcroppings but nothing more to view. If you aren't a horseback rider avoid this trail at all costs.

Monday, April 04, 2016

it's a shared use trail with horses, so much of the trail was like a swamp.

Monday, August 09, 2010

This is one of my favorite trips in mammoth cave. Plenty of rock formations as you descend to Nolan River. There are 3 campsites around 1st Creek Lake. If you are looking for solitude at this park hike on the West side of the park. Avoid the horse bogs.

recorded First Creek Trail