Dog Slaughter Falls Trail

Dog Slaughter Falls Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Corbin, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

make sure you take the second trail head down the road. the first will result in a 10 mile hike. we accidentally made the mistake when we went for the first time and didn't bring enough supplies.

fun hike! last time I was there we saw a massive black bear on the road

The falls are well worth the walk. It is to be noted however that the trailhead from Cumberland Falls is marked incorrectly because this is a 10.25 mile in/out instead of a 7 mile in/out.

Me and my wife took this trail with our 14 week old puppy and she loved it. It wasn’t too difficult but I could see where it would be after a heavy rain.

For old people it’s a little difficult but we loved it!

Hiked with group of friends and all our kids. Great day hike with a nice waterfall at the end of loop. Would like to go back in winter and see the ice and snow on falls.

Hiked here from Cumberland Falls. Such a beautiful hike with a chance to take a dip and cool off at the falls. Definately needed the rest to finish off the 10.5 miles.

After playing dodge the pothole down a grave road, we found the 2nd trail head (which isn’t marked at the road!). Sign states 1 mile which it is to the top of the falls and another 0.3 to the bottom. The path is slightly narrow and extremely filled with roots. All in all it was a moderately hard trail with some very nice rock structures and a nice creek along side the path. Once at the falls our dog got to swim in the cool water and enjoy scenery. Only issue is the huge piles of trash collected on the bank.

dog Slaughter Falls had a wonderful view of the waterfalls at the end of the trail. the only thing that was a complaint would be the signs were incorrect mileage hike. but other other than that I wouldn't change a thing about our trip. it was beautiful, I would recommend it!

Awesome trip and cold water to cool off in

Made it to Dog Slaughter Falls last weekend and had a wonderful time! Gorgeous hike all the way to the falls and back. Not too difficult at all but definitely seemed longer than one mile as the marker stated. Definitely going back!

Amazing hike- the trail is on the more difficult side as you get to Dog Slaughter trail from Sheltowee Trace, though

This is a great hike for all skill levels. We did the 1 mile trailhead and it was pretty simple. The trail between the falls and the river are much trickier but still easy enough for my 5 yo without any help. It’s a great swimming hole with nice cool water. Be careful as there are large boulders hidden under the surface. You can be standing in ankle deep water then over your head with the next step. I was able to touch bottom in almost every spot with only a few deeper areas, in general the deep spots were only a couple feet from areas you could stand. I read a review somewhere that mentioned large crawfish, which I wrote off as someone not having seen a lot of crawfish. However, my daughter and son crossed paths with one that was literally the size of a small lobster. The pinchers were the size of above average sized crawfish. It was an amazing specimen but wasn’t very aggressive, so don’t be afraid to go in the water.

My best friend and I took our 7 kids ranging in age from 5-13 and we had a blast. The trail is very well marked and wasn't too difficult for the little ones. The kids enjoyed wading in the water beneath the falls before we headed back.

Great hike! Beautiful falls at the end of the hike. Took about 1 hour from trail head. Very hard to find. It is off a gravel road, 2 1/2 miles down. Thought we would never find it. But def glad we did.

We hiked from Cumberland Falls to Dog Slaughter Falls yesterday—it was a great hike—took us 4 hours—many places with rock and slippery in places—a pretty good challenge but well worth it at the falls with the cool refreshing water. Bring water to drink — you will be gone a while—not marked the best—easy to get confused about the trail - is especially on the way back to Cumberland Falls. Give yourself time to get out before dark!

This was a BEAUTIFUL hike!! The sign was a little misleading. Just hiked yesterday and it was about 5 miles round trip. It is kind of strenuous up and down but it’s possible and worth it. You can cool off in the water hole under the Falls, very refreshing! It is also difficult to find off a gravel road...drive about 3.5-4 miles back and you should see a trailhead and a pull off in the gravel. No signs or markings of a trail there. Overall it was worth the trip!

beautiful. we were rained on, but we had a blast. will be back.

We took the longer trail (whose trailhead-the first one-is found on the left not far down Forest Rd.). This is a stunning trail and one of the best hikes I’ve been on in KY It was a long and challenging hike and took us almost 4 hours to arrive at Falls. The section between the long and short trailheads is less-used and overgrown with poison ivy and multiple large fallen trees blocking the trail, many more cliff type scrambles and slippery wooden bridges. It’s not very well marked so there were a couple times we scratched our heads and double backed a bit. Many rhododendron were still in bloom last week of June. Swimming in the pool was divine. The shorter trail was well marked, well-used and moderate as described. Sadly, there was a bag/pile of trash on the little beach. If I go again I’ll take rubber gloves and a bag to pack it out. LEAVE NO TRACE.

Wildlife, wildflowers KY at its best.

Longer hike than advertised but worth it to see the falls.

The hike is nice, it has some huge boulders along the way to marvel at. The falls are BEAUTIFUL. My dogs and I had the falls all to ourselves for about an hour and a half. Big beautiful boulders around the falls for you sit and eat lunch while watching the water. Nicely marked the whole way. Loved this one!

Absolutely beautiful hike!!

This is my favorite trail so far! It’s rugged enough to be interesting but not difficult. The Falls is pretty and you can get in the water too.

Was definitely a beautiful hike :)

Beautiful hike with a cool swimming hole at the end.

A beautiful day for a hike today! Lots of people were there enjoying the falls! If planning a hike take beach towels, swimming wear or a change of clothes. Take a picnic and have fun all day swimming at the mini beach. There may be a spot even to set up a hammock! There are two trailheads on 195 the first one is a 4 mile hike to the falls. About 3 or so miles up the gravel road is another trailhead. This one is unmarked. There use to be a sign but no longer there. That trail is a mile hike to the falls. (That’s the one I take). The trail is well worn. The hike is easy for the most part but a few spots are a little tricky and slick.

We had an amazing hike out to the falls and back. Ran into people of a variety of age and even a couple of pups with their PAWrents along the way. The directions led us directly to the trail head which was fantastic. We will definitely make this hike again!

Awesome falls well worth the hike in but don’t believe the sign it’s not 1 mile to Dog Slaughter falls!! Would be awesome swimming hole in summer!

Agree with everyone else on this trail. Nice trail to saunter on and enjoy the scenery all along the way. It is odd that the trail marking ends above the falls. Once you get to the falls area, continue past it and you will find the scramble down. Not easy, but very doable. Note that this trail marking is the later access, and you actually pass the true trailhead to get here. It is not marked on the road, but there are usually vehicles parked here. Just use the GPS markings. The trail, including the scramble down to the falls is 1.5 miles out, making an out and back of 3 miles. I have had this issue a couple times with AllTrails, where the stated distance is not accurate. I believe mainly because it uses too few points to map the trail.