Cull Hollow Trail [CLOSED] is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lebanon Junction, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 226 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. This short loop trail is best hiked in a clockwise direction. This allows for a gradual climb for the majority of the hike, and a steep descent at the end. The trail is well marked with red rectangles in the clockwise direction and red triangles in the counter-clockwise direction. The trail leads through the beginnings of Cull Hollow. The hike is entirely through the hard wood forest that Bernheim is famous for. About half way through the hike, is a very interesting hillside, full or rocky ledges and large stones strewn about. This is a nice area to explore, and can be the scene of small waterfalls after rains. This area is also frequented by deer and turkeys. At about the 1 mile point, the steep descent of about 200' will lead you back to the parking lot. You will be surprised by the elevation you have gained.

Good little hike that isn’t too bad! Great scenes and a couple of steep hills. Good hike overall

Really enjoyed this trail. I started at the sign (right side and finished on the left side). I went in November and there were a ton of mushrooms to see. I also added the side trail (you come to a sign just a little pass a wooden bridge that says ‘trail’, it will be marked with yellow markers from the orange/red on cull hollow) combined trails on my Apple Watch clocked 2.6 miles. The first hill is steep one, you’ll feel it, the rest isn’t too bad. There are some rocky sections, but nothing terrible. Not too much too see and the creek was dried up so no water crossings on the day I went.

Very nice well maintained trail. Scenic woods. No sign of a waterfall. Guess it’s been too dry. Do beware that the hike begins with an immediate ascent so you might want to stretch before walking.

Great hike, this is a must do when you come to Bernheim . A few elevations and some beautiful trees. Nicely marked

Sun May 26 2019

Great trail for kids and dogs. Well marked. Mostly shaded.

Tue May 14 2019

If you want to get the heart pumping, enter the trail by the sign for a steep climb. Easier hike, the trailhead is about 50ft to the left of the sign.

Fri May 03 2019

loved this one!! My dogs loved it too!! There is plenty of creek running along the trail. It's a lot of up hill and slightly muddy but beautiful and fun!!

Fri May 03 2019

It was awesome, a lot of uphill trails

Sun Feb 03 2019

Nice walk. Clockwise is easier on kids than the initial climb counter clockwise. Good for kids and beast once you get through first 1/8 to 1/4 mile. Muddy in the fall, spring, winter so wear appropriate shoes.

Sat Dec 29 2018

A nice hike, but muddy in places since we’ve had a few days of rain earlier in the week. I decided to add the Guerilla Hollow trail to this one. There is a sign about halfway through the Cull Hollow Loop that says “Trail” and points how to continue on. Right beside that is an unmarked connector that goes a short way up to the Guerilla Hollow loop. Doing both together is a little over 2 miles.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Description is accurate. It’s a favorite of mine now.

Wed May 30 2018

Gorgeous!! We go to Bernheim with our dogs often and this is my 2nd favorite trail. Good way to enjoy some Kentucky woods nearby Louisville

Tue May 08 2018

good small hike, a little challenging hike at the beginning, but not to bad

Mon May 07 2018

fun trail

Thu May 03 2018

One of my favorites.

Sat Oct 21 2017

Great trail! There are dozens in this area ranging from a half mile up to 13 miles and dogs are welcome on all of them :) *the address this app lists is incorrect* it wil bring you to their employee service entrance lol but just use Google Bernheim Forest & you'll get you there!

Go counter clockwise and get the beast over with. Good hill. At first, the rest is smooth sailing.

Tue May 02 2017

Loved it- well maintained. Nice short hike and great for kids too

Mon Apr 24 2017

Nice trail if you don't have all day, yet there's a fun creek and small waterfall if you do.

Sat Apr 15 2017

Good.

Mon Oct 17 2016

My husband and I took this trail yesterday. We are in agreement that the initial hill is a killer which made the rest of the trail seem easier. For our over 60 fellow hikers, we highly recommend trekking poles for this hike. The walk was unique at this time of the year because of the huge acorns both on the path and falling from overhead. Amazing trees! Interesting rolling hills. We would enjoy coming back and doing it again when there is water. We had a difficult time finding this with the direction of near Lebanon Junction. When we used google map, still no luck. Finally figured out that it was part of Bernheim Forest nature center.

Thu Dec 31 2015

I am a trail scout at Bernheim Forest and almost 76 years old. I hike all the trails, except the 13.8 mile millennial. Cull Hollow is correctly rated moderate mainly because of the long steep rise when hiking counterclockwise, which is always the way I hike it. I like to get the hardest part of a trail done as soon as possible. Once you finish the accent the rest is easy. If you do walk it clockwise be prepared for a steep decent. A great trail anytime of the year.

Fri Mar 13 2015

My buddy and I walked this trail. As others have already stated, taking the trail counter-clockwise will start you out at a steep hill, about a 263ft elevation gain. If you are looking for a more relaxed hike, take it clockwise as the elevation gain is much less steep. It was a nice hike, which took us about 40 minutes to finish. Very nice wooded scenery, featuring interesting rocky formations and a small bridge crossing the creek. There was a single downed tree on the trail, and there was a bit of rain recently so the trail was quite muddy.

Thu Nov 07 2013

This is a very pretty trail that goes through some nice forest areas and crosses a stream bed. I suggest counter-clockwise if you want a good climb to challenge yourself at the start. Clockwise progression is a bit easier since the steep grade is down instead of up. There are nice fossils in the trail as well.

Tue Oct 15 2013

Was a nice hike. Yeah the hill is hard but we managed just fine and saw so trail runners knock it out.

Mon Sep 16 2013

Did the trail this past Saturday morning and loved it! Took exactly an hour with stopping a couple of times to take pics. Path is well marked with good elevation. Had the trail to myself the whole time. Will definitely be doing this one again!

Tue May 28 2013

Yes, if you hike this trail counter clockwise the initial hill is satan. It seems never ending, but does give you a sense of accomplishment once you make it to the top. The trail is overgrown in a couple of spots and I found myself having to duck down to get through the branches and leaves.

recorded Recording - Feb 23, 05:14 PM