Courthouse Rock Trail

Courthouse Rock Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stanton, Kentucky that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This trail connects as a loop off of Auxier Ridge Trail. The trail leaves the Auxier Ridge Trail and descends below the cliff along an old logging road to a large rock formation resembling a courthouse.

Great views, the top look out was a little crowed but bad. Looks like a good place to camp over night, could tell a few people had.

Awesome hike. Lots of cliff side views. Slightly rugged. Amazing views. Good distance for a longer hike but not take all day. Lots of sights along the way!

Awesome views. I climbed to the top of Courthouse Rock and I'm not sure if I would do it again. You definitely have to trust your coordination to do this climb without rope and harness. The trail is awesome though.

Fantastic trail. Moderate difficulty. Love the wilderness and pine trails. Trail was well marked but we still got a little lost near the stairs by courthouse rock where auxier trail branches off.

Had a great time despite how my legs feel!

One of my favorite marked trails in The Gorge!

Park at courthouse rock then hike to double arch and take road/path back to car nice hike.

Very fun trail

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Good trail well worth the price of admission

Saturday, November 19, 2016

I bouldered to the top of Courthouse Rock and the view is amazing!! The climb looks scary looking at it from the ground but it is so worth it once you make it to the top! An advanced climb up on top of the rock but the trail to it is fairly easy.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Heavy damage with trees down caused some grief. Significant uphill on the return trip. Worked hard to avoid poison ivy next to the trail most of the way. Lots of spider webs from low traffic. Until this trail is cleaned up and more heavily traveled, I do not recommend. If you are so inclined, take this trail out to Courthouse rock, and take Auxier Ridge trail back to avoid the uphill return. Auxier is dynamite, by the way, and my recommendation to see Courthouse Rock.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Very enjoyable hike with great views. The last part about 10 yards wide with drops on either side. We jokingly called it Angels Landing East.

Monday, July 06, 2015

Great Trail spent the night on Auxier Ridge.The past fire made for some interesting views.Love The RRG!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Was a great trail. Not too hard and scenery was great. Stopped and had lunch on Auxier Ridge with a view of courthouse rock and double arch. Saw plenty of people on the trail and many dogs enjoying the sights as well,

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

This was one of the very first hikes I'd ever done. Frankly it's what got me into hiking in the first place. While we didn't actually follow this trail, our destination was Courthouse Rock. We actually just parked our car along the access road, got our bearing and walked into the woods with a general direction of where we were headed. The views from the top of the rock were breathtaking. Bring a camera! There is a bit of rock climbing involved to get to the top, but nothing technical. I made with absolutely no experience at all, but of course I was in my twenties back then (early to mid Nineties). While there we met several other groups of great people all willing to trade / share food, drink and advanced rock climbing gear, for descending the face of Court House. When the sun went down, it turned into a party at the camp site at the base of Court House. All in all this was the best Hiking / camping experience of my life.

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

We did the Double Arch Trail and then took the Auxier Bridge Trail to Courthouse Rock. From there we returned on the Courthouse Rock Trail. Courthouse Rock was wonderful. My profile pic is taken at one of the viewing points. The views or the Gorge were spectacular that day with the mist rising after the rains we had had earlier. Courthouse Rock Trail on the other hand was a somewhat difficult trail. There were sections with fallen trees and areas where the trail was hard to find. There were several times when one of us would make the climb to look for the trail before the other would follow. It seemed as though we were the first to take this route in a while. If I make the trip again I will opt for the Auxier Ridge Trail.

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Combined this with Double Arch, it was awesome, so much beauty, love Red River Gorge, it is a great hike, little over 8 miles.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Combine this hike with the Auxier Ridge and Auxier Branch trails, and take the side trip to Double Arch, to make an 8-mile loop. This is probably my favorite hike in the Gorge so far. Spectacular views and not too strenuous, but not too easy either.

Thursday, August 08, 2013

wonderful trail! if you add the double arches trail to it you can make a really nice loop.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

This was the best part of my day. Got a little sweaty getting up here. Stopped for a lunch and to dry out a bit and got to enjoy the incredible view and work on my tan. It was a beautiful day.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

One of my favorite hikes at the red river gorge and it has one of the best views in the area! Lots of areas to camp right off the trail, amazing cliffs, and this is a great trail to climb around the rocks even for inexperienced climbers. You can climb up on top of courthouse rock by getting to the back side of the cliff and climbing the large crack of the peak. Best part is you have three amazing rock formations and amazing views back to back to back. Highly recommend this hike.