Cloud Splitter Short Cut Tail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Campton, Kentucky that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Did this trail in conjunction with Indian staircase but I feel it prudent to review this section as an isolated trail: the cloud splitter trail is sketchy but easy to locate with the help of AllTrails. Exercise extreme caution in less than perfect conditions. I was appalled by the traverse rope (it’s broken anyway) and the 2 cords for the crack ascent. There is no way they are rated for body weight and completely inappropriate. This climb could really use some static line. We chose not to summit cloud splitter due to unsafe weather/ rock conditions and lack of appropriate gear. Otherwise, the features were super cool to explore and the view was gorgeous. It would be even better if the NPS accepted the heavy traffic of this trail and installed via ferrata hardware and warning signs if there are liability concerns.

A short and steep approach with a scramble to a panoramic view. There are two options at the top to reach the lookout. First is a scramble through a water-carved seam with the aid of a rope (the more popular option). Second is off to the right where you will find the entrance to a cave. Instead of entering, make your way up the rock scramble with the help of a large tree root system. Have fun.

awesome trail.

Pretty hard hike, but so worth it! It was much fun!

Loved this trail! The beginning is pretty steep, but definitely manageable. When you get toward the top its gets a bit difficult. My boyfriend and I brought our puppy, so he couldn’t walk the whole way up. Luckily he is only 3 lbs. so we could pass him back and forth and catapulted him down between the rocks. Definitely would not take a dog alone, but its possible with two people who are comfortable handling the dog. The view was incredible!

It’s such a beautiful view

Drastic Incline but worth the views.

Short trail to get to the Cloud Splitter but it was an aggressive incline. The rock scramble at the top was fun and reminded me of climbing Yosemite sub dome. View was great. Some stupid hikers left a smoldering camp fire at the top.

Great hike with awesome views. We missed the first turn and added about 2 mikes to our hike, but still worth it.

Beautiful view at the top. Easy trail to follow. At the end there is scrambling, not very difficult to do. We brought our dog (35 lbs), so the hardest part was figuring out how to get her up. We had to pass her several times because she couldn’t get a good footing on just the rock face, though there were many places that had tree roots and dirt that she could stand on securely. Basically, if you bring a dog you need two people who are comfortable holding the dog while scrambling.

I would rate the hike as moderate, not hard. It was short and quick. There are trees to set up a hammock at the top, too.

(If you’re interested in an even better view then do Indian Staircase. But don’t bring a dog, the trail is hard to follow and there’s more and harder scrambling)

I've spent a lot of time in the Gorge and this may be my new favorite place. I visited for the first time yesterday. There's no longer a rope for the final ascent to the top but I was able to scale the last section following the split in the rock below the cedar where the rope use to be. I wouldn't recommend attempting it on a wet day, but then again I wouldn't recommend being on top of cloud splitter on a wet day. Here's a link that gives some great perspective of cloud splitter and what makes it unique, the 360 degree views it gives of the gorge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqvCvMHpKIg

Great views atop.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Good for some light climbing. Great cave/lookout. Great view from the top!

Monday, September 04, 2017

Hard to find and difficult but well worth it! Practice safety first as this can be a dangerous trail- nor recommended in rain or snow. 10 out of 10 in views.

Friday, September 01, 2017

Once you find a spot to park and locate the unmarked trail you head straight up the mountain for about a mile, the rest of the way requires rock scrambling/climbing - there is usually a rope anchored to a tree to help aid the rock scramble and to repel down from but don't rely on the rope! use your best judgement and check it out thoroughly before trusting your life to it. Once you make it to the top of cloudsplitter, the best part is through the narrow crack through it, climb to the beginning of it and make your way through it (also requires some scrambling up/around walls), what awaits on the other side is the best view in the gorge, imo.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

If you use the gps coordinates given in alltrails, you will need to walk along the road for maybe 1/8-1/4 of a mile before coming to the trail head on the other side of the road. be prepared to go straight up for a bit, when you come to the split, go left. when you come to the second split (small grove of trees), go right and be prepared for more straight up and rock scrambling. You will then get to the small climb with a red rope to help you climb up. Soooo worth it! Definitely wouldn't try if its rainy or any winter weather.

Friday, August 11, 2017

Cloudsplitter easily offers some of the best views in the Gorge. We got to Cloud Splitter from the Indian Staircase via the Sheltowee Trace trail. It is a pretty steep and strenuous climb to reach the top and includes some rock scrambling, so be prepared. The top is perfect for camping/hammocking or eating a snack and enjoying the views. We will definitely be returning!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

This is a short steep trail from the trailhead on Route 715. The if it has been dry for a day the trail seemed very safe. I would not try it when wet or icy! Many scrambles but nothing my 270 pound 6'0" frame had trouble with. The crack which leads to the Arch at the Cliff is awesome but somewhat challenging. The rock obstacle you come to is a bit hard but if the tree ladder is in place it is not bad at all. I got through the following hole just fine and proceeded into the cave. The view from the ledge of the arch is breathtaking. The only problem I had was getting back over the rock in the crack. The tree ladder was gone and my daughter couldn't lift or push me. After about 5 minutes of trying I finally got up by using some very old chimney climbing skills. We left the crack and hung to the right which gave a easy route to the top of Cloud Splitter. Nothing like it anywhere. The view is breathtaking. Total round trip was 1,4 miles total as we were able to park very close to the trail head. The ranger said as long as all four tires are off the road you can park on any of the number of pull offs in the park.

recorded Cloudsplitter