Chimney Top Trail

Chimney Top Trail is a 0.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Denniston, Kentucky that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Asphalt and gravel trail.

Loved it. Sunset is amazing!

Didn’t think that the vie would be worth it, but I was wrong. Almost 360 view of the surrounding forest and hill tops.

Easy and great way to see the Gorge if you don't have a lot of time.

great view of the park and you can see the red river in the distance and how it winds through the park!

The path is paved.

This is the trail we take our aged parents and friends with little kids on. It's great for those who want to see the Gorge, but can't do much hiking. Just a short, mostly paved, 1/2 mile, out and back to an observation area. The view is great though and everyone should see it at least once!

short, easy hike. the view is superb of this section of the gorge.

Short walk with one of the best views in the park, I love seeing it in the winter when everything is covered in snow.

After doing a bit more challenging hike with our 2 preschoolers and 1 toddler (worn) in the morning this was a nice second hike of the day. It was very easy to stay on the path. It's wide and often paved. We started a little concerned bc of the elevation and advertised cliffs/drops, but they were not an issue because the path was so clear and wide. The view at the end is breathtaking and just the motivation/reward our small hikers needed... well that and promised fruit snacks upon completion.

Great views from a short trail. Very easy access. Normally people on the trail.

very cool trail, beautiful scenery and wildlife.

awesome would recommend this trail wear your keen s

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

really a path to the overlook. it is a great view. stay inside the barrier, too many have fallen to their death.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

More of a walk to an observation area than a hike. .5 mile round trip. Great view with a paved trail, which worked out well for us as we had our son in a stroller. Couple this with Princess Arch which is in the same parking lot.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

I hiked NE from Koomer ridge campground on the Koomer Ridge trail #220 to the Rough Trail #221. I turned left, NW to the Sheltowee Trace where I turned right, North. I hiked to the Red river suspension bridge near Chimney top on the map (but this trail doesn't go to Chimney Top so it is mid-named). I hiked in January and Chimney top creek was high. The trace crosses the creek 4-5 times in this section. I waded (burr) and balanced across fallen trees across. At the bridge I turned around and followed the trace past Rough to the BR trail #226 left, SE. Back to KR #220 right, S, and back taking the right fork #208 to hidden arch the back to the car. The app shut off for a while but I think this route was 13 miles. It took me 6 hrs. Beautiful hike.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

This is an easy trail with excellent views of the Red River Gorge of the Daniel Boone NF. Not very challenging but worth the short hike.