Learn more

Chained Rock Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Calvin, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 275 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The road to the parking lot for this trail is closed off currently. I just parked down at Rock Hotel Trailhead and walked to Timber Ridge trail and hiked up from there because Timber Ridge meets with the trailhead of Chained Rock. The view was nice from the top and quickly became one of my favorites. Get some good shoes to climb up the side of the rock. I was so surprised that there really isn’t any graffiti on the rock that I could find. There are a lot of stairs, but I loved it.

They have the road to the parking lot closed but we parked and walked anyway as did several others. Adds an extra mile. Highly recommend some good grip shoes to climb on the rock itself. Very nice view from the top

My family really loved this hike. The story is cool, and the view is amazing from the top of the chained rock.

Favorite hike at Pine Mountain so far! Lots of opportunity for some cool photos. Secure your belongings and be careful with footing if getting up near the actual chained portion. The height aspect of it spooked us a little bit tread lightly and you’ll be fine. Very cool!

great for all skill levels and kids. beware if stairs isn't ur thing. there's plenty of those but thankfully benches and resting spots along the way

It’s a fun and decently easy hike. It’s uphill walking back to the parking lot so be prepared for steps and walking on some rocky spots when you get to chained rock. But it was fun and I will definitely go again!

Beautiful views. Be ready for stairs. Easy going down and a little harder coming up.

Easy trail to Chain Rock, then once you get there take your time. Beautiful overlook.

Rock Hotel to Timber Ridge to Chained Rock and back. Chained rock trail gets a lot of attention from the park and is gravel with woods stairs. Other two are wilderness. Great morning or afternoon trek with many scenic stops. Well marked. Room enough for 3-4 cars off the road at rock hotel trail head.

Love this trail! The way there is easy and leads to a beautiful overlook. The way back is all uphill so harder, but they've placed lots of benches along the trail. Just take your time and enjoy the view.

Beautiful overlook.

Great short hike to great views!

Awesome view of pineville from the rock, short little hike but worth it in the end

Had a great time on this short, yet moderate walk. The path starts on the right hand side of the parking area, with the stairs that go down into the woods...it is nearly all down hill via stairs and gravel trail, out to the rock. Naturally that means it is all up hill on the way back, but not too difficult. My 10 and 12 year old daughters did just fine. The view over Pineville was nice and the rocks and the chain were very cool. We climbed around on the boulders at the end and had a great time. Oh yeah, the drive up the mountain side was super fun too, I loved all the switchbacks and steep incline of the road!

Great trail did it back in June before storms came in .

A surprise!

A great quick trail that leads to amazing views! It’s all downhill to the overlook, and a decent climb back up, but there’s benches along the way for rest.

Tue Jan 08 2019

Beautiful trail, well worth the time and effort. I found the trail to be rather easy. FYI: The trail begins by traveling down hill until you reach Chain Rock, and the it is almost all uphill getting back to the parking lot. There is approximately 100 steps (wood and rock) throughout the trail. CONS: No public restrooms or water fountains, so come prepared.

Tue Jan 01 2019

Had a blast on this short, family friendly trail on the 1st day of the New Year. We took our three kids (under 12) they didn’t struggle at all. The views are wonderful and the history is interesting. Great for a quick day hike!

Sun Dec 30 2018

Nice trail great view not too strenuous

Sat Dec 29 2018

Gorgeous. Not very difficult. A bit of incline, but not bad if you're in ok shape. The view at the end is amazing. Very wet when it's been raining.

Tue Dec 04 2018

me my wife and 7 year old hiked this trail, I am a complete beginner and I weigh over 300lbs. going down was no problem at all but coming back up was a complete killer for me, my wife and child struggled a little bit but there are benches every so often so you can rest. looking forward to hitting it again next year after I lose a few more pounds!!!

Sat Nov 03 2018

Nice overlook of the town below. I'd rate this trail as easy, although coming back from the rock is all uphill. Good little burn at the end.

Fri Oct 12 2018

This is a beautiful trail, but it proved pretty strenuous for my wife and me who are just getting into hiking. The "out" is all downhill and the "back" is a climb. Thankfully, there are plenty of strategically placed benches. The chained rock, itself, isn't terribly impressive, but the views of Pineville and the valley are beautiful.

Sun Sep 30 2018

If you drive to the trailhead at the top of the mountain, where this also a lookout, the trail is all downhill from the top, which means you will have to climb out. Whew! The views, though, are worth it just to see a rock with a big chain on it. Do yourself a favor and read up on the local story about Chain Rock. We were a little confused on the trail because there is a rock where they have signs saying “Don’t walk on the chain’l bit there is no chain. That’s not chain rock. Keep going a little further. :)

Fri Sep 07 2018

Beautiful views!!! allot of stairs so it's a great cardio with amazing views of Pineville!!

Fri Aug 10 2018

Great, short hike for testing out my puppy's hiking skills. Beautiful scenery!! Trail was well marked, clean and medium skill level.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Climbing this rock reminded me just how old I’m getting and how heights are starting to be alittle scary lol. All jokes aside this hike was beautiful and the view on top of chained rock was amazing and breathe taking.

Sun May 13 2018

short hike with really nice views overlooking town.

Wed Apr 04 2018

Easy, brief hike with great views of the town.