Broke Leg Falls Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(27)
Wellington, Kentucky

Broke Leg Falls Trail is a 0.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wellington, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.3 miles Elevation Gain: 19 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This area is nice and it makes a great spot for a picnic. You pull into the parking lot and park your car, then you take the stairs down and into the viewing area of the waterfall. You can also walk behind the waterfall, which is always fun. It’s a great place for everyone.

The waterfalls were beautiful. Not much of a trail for hiking because of the tornado damage from 2012. Climbing down below the falls was a bit difficult due to mud. Overall worth stopping by.

Not much of a hike but is still SO worth the time to come see and explore around this place. It’s beautiful & serene.

I’m glad I read the reviews on this before I went because it’s not really a “hike” or even a trail, but it’s a beautiful place to see. I wasn’t looking to hike today, just wanted to see something. It was muddy and there was a decent black snake hiding around some of the rocks. I’m glad it was a black snake and not another haha. There are quite a few trees down from a tornado that came through in 2012 and it’s not been cleaned up much, so I do think there’s a lot that you can’t explore because of that. Overall, it’s a beautiful waterfall and is accessible for people of all ages as long as you can deal with all of the stairs.

The description says the trail is closed but it is open. Menifee County owns the trail.

Muddy, but pretty. You can see the tornado damage which creates its own beauty. Benches available for picnics, there is a grassy area at the top of the falls which was fun to explore. We will come back when the flowers start to bloom.

Trail has seen better days, beautiful views of the couple of falls but due to the storm damage of 2012 (tornado according to signage) it's best a small trail to stretch your legs during a long drive.

I wouldn’t consider this a trail but it’s BEAUTIFUL!!! More of a drive right up to the falls and then walk around the falls. It’s muddy at some spots but still walkable, just slick. Absolutely stunning views. I wish they would clean up the fallen trees from the tornado.

I had heard there wasn’t much water flow on this trail so I went on a day in which it had rained most of the morning. In saying that, I couldn’t get as far behind the falls as I wanted to because the trail was really muddy and slippery. I will go back on a day in early spring when there is not as much vegetation growth so I can figure out how to get a little further down to the pool without sliding in the mud. This would be a great spot for a picnic or even a very small wedding as the falls are beautiful and there is a covered picnic area.

Thu Mar 28 2019

Tue Jan 22 2019

not really a hike as the falls are right off the road. the tornado damage is still visible. i visited this area in the spring of 2018.

Mon Dec 17 2018

Loved this beautiful place, even when we could tell of the tornado damage it was still a gorgeous site. I wish the hike was longer, but lots of picnic spaces to eat and the Falls were roaring! Will definitely go back.

Thu Sep 06 2018

There's another waterfall if you continue under the falls and hike the trail about 2 miles but it's definitely not a easy hike. Be prepared for a couple squeezes through some rocks to get to the other waterfall. We didn't go past it but the trail continued on. Definitely would like this trail again. Absolutely beautiful!

Mon Jul 30 2018

easy access to the falls. Evident signs of the tornado damage from years ago. The falls weren't flowing well the day we visited but no doubt it's a beautiful waterfall. Picnic area there. Easy access to get behind the falls, but somewhat slippery. There are stairs to the left of parking lot to lead you to the falls.

Sun Jun 25 2017

Tue Jan 17 2017

My friend and I brought our dogs out here yesterday. It was misty which gave the place an eerie, abandoned vibe. You could tell it used to be a very vibrant, popular place back in the day before the tornado. We weren't able to go very far due to the mud and the debris blocking the trail. Overall I would def recommend a visit.

Sun Aug 07 2016

wounderful place to go and see the water fall. people not so friendly.

Tue Jun 14 2016

There was a tornado that hit this area in 2012, so some of the paths are blocked. However, it is a short distance of the road and very quiet to enjoy the view.

Sat Apr 20 2019