Big Hollow North and South Loops Trail

Big Hollow North and South Loops Trail is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mammoth Cave, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My wife and I completed this trail in under 4.5 hours with a brief stop for a snack halfway through. The trail was very well-maintained and clearly marked. Apparently, this is a popular mountain biking trail, which is something to be aware of. We encountered four different riders, two of which gave warning so that we could get out of the way, but one came around a corner and seemed just as surprised to see us as we were him. No big deal, just be aware. There is tree coverage for probably 98% of the trail, so it felt about 10 degrees cooler on the trail than when we got back to the trailhead to leave. There were plenty of bugs(mostly gnats), but we barely noticed while we were walking. Saw a deer, a snake, and plenty of frogs. There are two reasons I gave the trail a 4/5. First, the trail offers plenty of visuals of woods and hills, but little else. Also, parts of the trail put you very near the main road, which can be noisy and ruins the illusion that you're out in the middle of nowhere. With little change in elevation, the distance is the only challenging part of the hike, but that is depending on your level of fitness. Overall, it was a good trail for a morning or afternoon hike. I would definitely recommend it.

Nice easy trail.

this is the easy end of a moderate trail. I did the whole this with me, my dog and boyfriend. It was flat for the most part, very well marked and east to naviagte. Wasnt very busy saw only a few people. Be careful there are bikers on the trail. BEWARE! of many horse flies, i got bit twice by them. But over all the trail is awesome.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Rated moderate for distance but not a difficult hike. The trail is well maintained and horses are not allowed on most of the trail unlike other areas of the park. You will need to park at the Maple Springs trailhead where there are toilets and picnic benches. The first mile is a connector trail to the Big Hollow trailhead which is mixed use for mountain biking and horseback riding. The Big Hollow portion consists of 2 loops joined in the middle by a connector trail which is great if you decide to make it a shorter hike. We encountered only 6 people on a Spring weekend with great weather.

Saturday, July 22, 2017