Bee Rock Trail

Bee Rock Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Somerset, Kentucky that features a great forest setting. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great little two mile hike that has great views from the overlook and a section of the trail that hugs the cliffs and disappears into a rock shelter for a few feet. The only drawback is signage on the trail. If you hike in from the far entrance (graveled road), there is a turnoff that is not marked. For that reason, start on the entrance closest to KY 192. You will hike up an old logging road and pass several rock formations and a beautiful gorge with plenty of rhodo and hemlock in it to your right. The trail eventually turns to the right up into a drier forest of oak, holly and hemlock. This section could use a few markings, but it's fairly easy to see the trail, even in the deep fall leaves. Eventually this section comes to a T intersection with a fairly wide trail ( an old forest service road). To go on to the overlook and complete the short loop, turn right. To complete a much longer 6ish mile loop, turn left. The intersection is not marked and has not been marked for as long as i can remember. After making a right, keep straight for about a quarter of a mile to the overlook.

A nice hike on a cool day. The second entrance, near the second restrooms in the camp ground is where we went in. The first quarter mile is all uphill kind of rough. After that it's a nice hike. Watch for trail marker as a few trails come together up top. We missed the hard left turn up top and there is another left at a bridge. All trails worked really well after it loaded. Not much area for the dog to get a drink. The view was awesome. Happy hiking.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

we read the reviews and people were saying start out at the campground area. I though we did but soon realized we actually did not. the first mile or was all uphill, overgrown, and boring. Like all the other reviews, as soon as you get the cave it gets great! I do have to say, they need more signs on this trail. We counted 2 in total and that was only mile markers. They need on pointing to the lookout because we got lost for a split second. If I hiked this trail again, I would definitely start at the campground side and once got to the top of the cave area, I would turn around. The 2 miles, in my opinion is not worth the very few scenic areas.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Great little trail. Beautiful views, rock formations, cliffs, caves and had a cute dog join us for part of the hike.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

We couldn't get very far on trail. Completely over grown with a lot of poison ivy! May try again in the fall or spring.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

It's one of my favorites.
If you go to the 2nd trail entrance further in the park, if offers better views.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Be prepared, trail is overgrown in several parts and will expose you to ticks! Make sure you take the necessary precautions against ticks before travelling.
Now to the rest of the trail. The beginning is all uphill as others have stated and doesn't really get interesting until halfway through. However, the overlook, flowering plants, and amazing cave that you pass through is completely worth the effort.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Great trail for a family hike!

Monday, April 10, 2017

I agree with another reviewer, that the 1st part is ALL up hill, but the waterfall inside the cave is really cool. My gripe with the trail is that it's not the best marked trail. But, would I do it do it again? You bet!

Friday, April 07, 2017

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Fun! A lot of beautiful scenery, ticks are bad.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

This trail is very deceptive. The first 3/4 of a mile is pretty ordinary and all up hill. Do not I repeat DO NOT give up. Amazing scenery awaits. There is a couple beautiful waterfalls and an amazing look out just off trail. From the look out you can see the river and forest. As you wind down the hill the trail disappeared into a huge cave. Falling from the ceiling was an amazing waterfall INSIDE THE CAVE!!! This trail does not disappoint. And was easy enough for my 5 year old to make it. Take water and snacks make this shirt 2.5 mile hike an all day or at least take your time and soak it all in.

If you start at the camp grounds the cave water fall is about 3/4 of a mile up the trail which is much easier. Also no cell reception.

Friday, October 21, 2016

We went to Bee Rock to hike this trail, but lost service so we didn't have GPS directions to find this particular trail. We did however find Trail 529, it was a 2 mile Hike, there and back and led up the mountain on the Pulaski Co side to an amazing overlook. We highly recommend this hike, although it was a little strenuous uphill to get there, but an easy hike downhill on the way back. The view is well worth the uphill hike.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

It was a great trail lots of cliffs and mysterious caves!! A must see if you are in the area!

Friday, March 04, 2016

Great trail. Few trees down but it was very peaceful at the overlook

scenic driving
Monday, September 28, 2015

Drove up on Closed road but could not find trail to walk to overlook. Will try to start at campground next time.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

overall a good trail. great overlook. Trail 529.

Thursday, January 01, 2015

Great trail. Good scenery and vsried terrsin. Could be a bit better marked. Some places sre confusing where horse trails intersect with hiking trails. Definitely worth the trip.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Great trail!!! My family enjoyed walking and climb on the rocks next to trail near campground area.

Monday, March 07, 2011

This is a good hiking area, there are 3 ways to get up to the over look. you can take closed rd.and drive to the back side of the over look and it's a very easy walk to the over look, but to see bee rock you have got to take the trail head at the bottom and work your way up 2.0 good tail. good view at the top. I have taken both trails many times nice in the fall, and winter

Wednesday, July 12, 2017