Balanced Rock Trail

Balanced Rock Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Slade, Kentucky that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did this trail on the way back from natural bridge. Great to descend but I can imagine it’s a tough trail to ascend. Lots and lots of stairs. The balanced rock formation was really cool though.

I would definitely do it again but it did feel like forever. It didn't help that my husband and I decided to increase the difficulty by taking our backpacking packs. There were many stairs and it takes about 45 mins to an hour to reach the natural bridge if you keep a steady pace. However, all the rock formations and natural views you see along the way are totally worth it. Needless to say, we took the original trail down from the natural bridge.

This should be upgraded from moderate. Hahaha listened to my husband and took this one up to the bridge, the good news is we made it lol. Definitely glad we took it but man it was rough. Making memories!

Took the original trail up and this back down. This was prettier. Lots of hemlocks and rhodos!

This is a good option for descending from Natural Bridge. Due to all the steps, I wouldn't recommend coming up this way unless you are looking for some serious conditioning. The newer 'Balanced Rock' is somewhat interesting (near the bottom).

Unless you like climbing UP stairs (and have young knees) take this route coming down from the natural bridge. Lots of cool rock formations and the balancing rock and the cave are both pretty awesome.

Beautiful, tedious trail; it certainly felt longer than it's marked out to be. My best friend tried to find the spot where, as a teen, she carved her name in the rock, but it was sadly eroded and covered with moss! Still a nice moment for her to see the rock again, decades later. Have TONS of water for this one. Lots of open exposure - including a walk thru a gulch (not for the claustrophobic, lol). Very heavy traffic here, and we met some nice people. Would love to do this again!