Bad Branch Trail

Bad Branch Trail is a 5.9 mile out and back trail located near Eolia, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

I loved this hike, but as a beginning hiker, it was very strenuous for me. My more in shape friends were good to go on this trail, though. It is a straight uphill hike. You do have so flat sections, but not much. The waterfall at the beginning is beautiful. Wasn’t much water coming down as hoped but still a sight to see. It is super tall. If you do this trail, definitely go all the way to High Rock. The view from there is breathtaking. There is a lot of climbing up nothing but rock, though, once you get closer to High Rock. I would definitely go again in the fall to see the autumn foliage. Also had very convenient parking and the trail was well marked and kept.

Gorgeous scenery, well maintained trail, steps have been built near the falls for easy access, some climbing is required the closer you get to the falls, but overall a fairly easy hike.

It’s a bit technical, but it’s not a hard trail. I think that it’s an excellent afternoon jaunt in the Spring or Summer.

Beautiful setting of Pine Mountain. Turn off to falls or rock was confusing to me and took the wrong turn up to Pine Mountain only to turn back to the falls. Amazing mushrooms in July. Small swimming hole at the bottom of the falls. I went after series of heavy rain so the water was abundant perfect for getting soaked.

I grew up hiking this trail as it's only 2 miles from my parents home. Hard to believe I could run the whole way in high school.
The trail has changed over the years, although the route is the same. Volunteers, including my dad, have built bridges and stairs at points along the trail now making it easier to access.
Love this trail, the memories it holds & the waterfall ( especially after a big rain).

Beautiful hike in my hometown. I’ve done this trail so many times it’s a quick hike too. Can be done in less than 2 hours round trip

My friend and I hiked this trail today. it was amazing. The hike to the water fall is nice; not very hard. The hike to High Rock was a little more tough, but it was well worth it. The view is amazing and on the way back it's almost all downhill.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Good trail. Easy hike under the canopy on a sunny day. Last 1/10 mile is rather steep but well worth it.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Wonderful hike. And so worth it for the beautiful view.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Good trails. Strenuous work out at the top right before the falls.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Moderate is an understatement perhaps. Beautiful hike and plenty of places to take a dip in the creek if you choose. But with an altitude increase of over 1100 feet over rock and root covered trail, I would have to give this a hard rating. I took my 13 year old son and his German Shepherd on a 5+ mile hike last week over smooth terrain in just over two hours. We did bad branch in 4.5! Very fun, but physically demanding trail that has a gorgeous waterfall to see and plenty of nature to enjoy along the way.

Monday, March 27, 2017

rough in some areas, stay on trail.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Amazing!!!

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

I love this little trail. The falls are only a mile (or a 45 minute hike) from the trailhead and have bridges and easily marked paths for hiking. The High Rock trail branches off of the Bad Branch Trail and it's quite a bit longer, but I always love stopping over at Bad Branch Falls on the way up top.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A great hike. My girlfriend and I were there a couple of weeks ago. Bad Branch creek was beautiful to walk along. we caught a nice, rare, showy Orchid on the trail. Can't wait to go back.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

We went back today with 2 of our 3 kids. I was a little worried about the youngest as she's only 3, but they did wonderful. They were thrilled with the hike & falls. We spent a good amount of time there. We rested, had a snack & even family prayer time. Gorgeous!! #hikingforChrist

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

One of our favorite family hikes!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Beautiful hike. Slick, steep & very rocky at points, especially closer to the falls. The view of Bad Branch Falls is well worth it!

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Nice and easy until the last 300 yards and then it gets a bit rough but still not to bad. It's worth it to see the falls. I didn't have time to go on up to the top but I will next time.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Nice and challenging. Rewarding view at the top, waterfall at the bottom.

Friday, September 21, 2012

This trail is a great hike during the spring and fall seasons. The trail is a bit rough and can be narrow in places but it is in a very beautiful area. Be sure to go a few days after rain do that the falls will be flowing.

recorded Bad Branch Trail