Auxier Ridge Trail to Courthouse Rock

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(413)
Daniel Boone National Forest

Auxier Ridge Trail to Courthouse Rock is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Stanton, Kentucky that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 908 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail is subject to weather related closures. Please check road and park conditions before setting out for your hike.

Fun trail. Worth heading out early and pack a snack to eat at one of the many great views.

My husband, 14 yr old daughter and myself did this hike today. It was really beautiful. We are not very experienced hikers and the trial was fine for us. I’m short so my husband did help me up and down a few taller rock steps along the way. The people we met along the way on the trail were all friendly and practiced social distancing as much as possible. They would step to the side to let us pass or we would the same for them. It was chilly in the morning but warmed up nicely by the end of the hike. The scenery is amazing. My daughter took a lot of nice photos along the way. There is a stair case at the end of the trial. It is long and steep. Made of steel and of woods steps. It was challenging for us. My husband was fine, but my daughter and I did have to take a break going back up. All in all it was a wonderful experience and we will definitely hike this trail again.

The road is perfectly fine. Disregard the idiot's review below. One of the best hikes in the area.

Hiked with Jacob!

road is NOT flooded

Road flooded. There is no road.

This was a great trail with lots to see along the way. We did the whole loop around and up to Double Arch. Apple Watch clocked it at 7.5 miles. Several butt/thigh burner hills. It was so pretty to hike along the creek for a bit after courthouse rock. Walking the ridge line was amazing and we stopped for a bit and enjoyed a snack. We finished at a gravel RD back to the car (long and very boring). I wish we would’ve backtracked just a bit from Double Arch to the “courthouse rock trail” and cut through back to the car.

The trail was pretty muddy in some locations to include the big flat spot on the ridge near courthouse. Still worth it.

Great ridge trail that is usually not very busy. Have heard a great horned owl and woodpeckers, plus have seen a western ribbon snake. Would highly recommend.

Trail was great today. although there were a few downed trees and branches along the trail so watch for those.

Really cool trail. Not overly difficult, can branch off and find some cool climbs and also see the diversity of the gorge. Very good views for long portions of the trail.

Good for family and beautiful view

Nice trail. Good views. we saw frog rock on this trail. be careful around cliffs. I almost lost a friend there.

Worth it. We did the full loop from Auxier ridge -courthouse rock - double arch. First part had lots of open vistas while on the ridge. Second part had lots of wooded hiking. The out and back to double arches was interesting. The only bad part was the gravel raid walk of 1.5 miles back to the parking lot. Other than that I would have given it a five

Honestly a pretty long hike but once you get to the ridge.. just wow. Such an amazing view perfect for a sunrise hike.

Awesome trail! Has a lot to offer in views and challenges. We were going to continue on to Double Arch, but our dog got too nervous with the corrugated stairs that lead down the ridge. other than that it was a great little adventure.

I really enjoy this trail, my husband and I have hiked it several times. We usually stop just short of courthouse rock itself. Trail has a nice mixture of everything: some lovely views, tiny bit of rock scrambling, sand path at some points, some critters along the way. The only reason I don’t give it five stars is for some reason people like to camp right on the trail, and it gets awkward sometimes hiking through a campsite. There’s a lot of spots along this trail that they are trying to restore due to camping I think. But overall, a trail I will never get tired of!

Beautiful trail! Lots of rock out crops that are very scenic and definitely on the easy side of moderate. We did the added short loop instead of the in and out. At the end of the trail there is a very clear shortcut to the car park and so it only ended up being 8 km (5 Miles) in total (compared to 7 km (4miles)for the in and out) but according to the trail guides it should have been more like 9KM. The added loop wasn’t as interesting as the in and out. More just through the forest.

I would definitely put this one on the difficult side of Moderat. But then I’m in my 50s. Plus I went zip lining before. The trails beautiful nice and wide easy to follow beautiful years nice parking areas I can’t say enough good things

A little bit of everything, except no water. Nice vistas and easy elevations. I will call this a good moderate trail. Recommend to everyone that is physically active on a regular basis. My wife and I are both over 70. We wanted to do the loop however we could not seem to find connection at the out part of trail. Otherwise easy trail to follow.

Combined trails and did the full loop. As first time backpackers we found this trail difficult in the 90f humid weather while carrying about 25lbs each. I'm sure in cooler weather without the extra weight it would have been much easier though! great trail! Amazing views!

Took the ridge trail out and had lots of great views. The courthouse trail back is through the woods and a little rougher. Highly recommend, was a lot of fun.

Great sunset hike. The bugs were plentiful, but the views were more than worth it. Next time we’re bringing hammocks for the night. The hike out definitely needs headlamps. Wicked dark.

Great hike today. A bit muggy, but the breeze kept it nice. Well worth it. We love this trail. We plan on doing a sunset hike later this month.